A&H

communicating with the ref

Ideally if both players run into each other and get up then no foul. But in a high tempo game you need to make a decision. 100% bs but you can't take the risk that the players will set about each other

The Referee Store
Hands up, all those who imagined that that the attacker was behind the defender when he clipped his heels

Last edited:
Yeah, never mind the fact that it was actually a foul....let's be more concerned about what the ref told you to do than getting the decision right in law!

Honestly Dan, the lengths you'll go to to avoid having to agree with me!
Not at all Padfoot. I wasn't there, so cannot say whether it not the decision to give/not give a foul was correct/incorrect. I can however offer practical advice on the situation for all those who wish to read it. Can you say, with 100% certainty, that the incident was a foul? No, you can't as you've not seen it.

Two things...

From the OP it reads like a foul and a FK should be awarded. As an AR beware opening your mouth and appearing more stupid than you already do.

Ok so is it ok to call the referee (either shouting him by name or shouting ref) if your flagging but have been seen??

It depends. This is something that you should go over in your pre-game.

Working university games here in Canada over the last couple of months as an AR, half the refs say outright "when you put up your flag for offside or something behind my back and I don't see it within the first second, call my name. If that doesn't work, yell 'referee' until it does."

We have to communicate somehow, and there will be times when backs will be turned, so what other method is there than voice?

It depends. This is something that you should go over in your pre-game.

Working university games here in Canada over the last couple of months as an AR, half the refs say outright "when you put up your flag for offside or something behind my back and I don't see it within the first second, call my name. If that doesn't work, yell 'referee' until it does."

We have to communicate somehow, and there will be times when backs will be turned, so what other method is there than voice?

I had an incident where I'd raised flag for offside, not been seen for small while but continued with flag. Before id been noticed a fowl was committed and awarded to the attacking side (defender cautioned too) I put flag back down as play had clearly continued. But defending team have been disadvantaged twice. Was I correct? Should I have verbally called the referee??

I would have maintained the flag for offside personally, and then explain your reason if you get the wtf are doing look :)

I never like my AR's shouting 'ref' at me, however I'm not too bothered about my name. That being said, I always prefer to use the method of the other assistant mirroring the assistant that I have my back too, should he need to get my attention. As an assistant, one instruction I was given was to ask the dugout / a player to do the shouting, looks better than an AR shouting across the pitch. Any views on that?

Reffariiii:

Agreed that there should be a mirroring, but it does happen (hopefully not too often) where the ref isn't looking in the right direction to see either flag depending on where the play falls. In those cases, a quick yell of the name will usually suffice. Most of the time, when a player sees your flag up, they'll start yelling "ref, offside... the flag's up!" (even if it's not an offside call you're making).

One recent piece of instruction I got that I'd never gotten before was the ref asking us to yell his name if we'd seen something and wanted to chat/etc at the next stoppage (ie, something not worthy of stopping the game at that point in time, but possibly in need of a caution or verbal warning). When he heard you yell the name and saw no flag, he'd make sure that the next stoppage stopped and waited for him before the restart.

In short -- if you're working as an AR and you're not sure what to do in such a case, ask your middle. They should give you direction based on what they're expecting and looking for.

Back