A&H

Commenting on great moments as they happen

Ref X

RefChat Addict
Grassroots Referee
Just wanted to hear some opinions about what everybody's thought are on running commentary when you see something outstanding happen while refereeing.

This could be a great through ball, a huge save or a fantastic passage of play.

You know the moments. When you see them, your brain just says, "WOW!"

I've had times when I verbalize this on the field.
  • "What a hit"
  • "Great through ball"
  • "Wow"
It's never over-the-top celebratory. More like a small tip of my cap to the players. I think in general it humanizes me and allows me to stay in the flow of the game and keep a connection with play and the players.

But this could also have negative effects (one team thinks I'm favoring the other, etc).

I try not to do this in certain circumstances, like when the temperature of the game is high or if it's a really one-sided affair.

Anyway, what do others think? OK to do in some situations or not professional? Had this kindof commentary lead to a bad situation? No worries?

The Referee Store
Just wanted to hear some opinions about what everybody's thought are on running commentary when you see something outstanding happen while refereeing.

• "What a hit"
  • "Great through ball"
  • "Wow"
It's never over-the-top celebratory. More like a small tip of my cap to the players. I think in general it humanizes me and allows me to stay in the flow of the game and keep a connection with play and the players.

But this could also have negative effects (one team thinks I'm favoring the other, etc).

I try not to do this in certain circumstances, like when the temperature of the game is high or if it's a really one-sided affair.

Anyway, what do others think? OK to do in some situations or not professional? Had this kindof commentary lead to a bad situation? No worries?
I do this in youth games but not open age men generally. If it’s reserved for those WOW moment and not running commentary I think it’s fine. I’ve certainly never had any issues

• "What a hit"
  • "Great through ball"
  • "Wow"

It is absolutely fine as long a as, as you said it' it is don't in the right way and the right time. It's also a tool to build a good rapport with players showing that you understand the game and appreciate good play.

Often after a good goal (say a 25 yarder into the top corner) I turn to a defender near me and say that was just too good and nothing you guys or the keeper could have done about it.

I do this in youth games but not open age men generally. If it’s reserved for those WOW moment and not running commentary I think it’s fine. I’ve certainly never had any issues
@OnlyUseMeWhistle Makes total sense to approach varying levels differently. Thanks!

It's also a tool to build a good rapport with players showing that you understand the game and appreciate good play. Often after a good goal (say a 25 yarder into the top corner) I turn to a defender near me and say that was just too good and nothing you guys or the keeper could have done about it.
@one Definitely with you on this. When players know you know what just happened was a wow moment, they'll appreciate you for it. And I like the, "that was just a great play" convo. Again, players know sometimes you just give credit where it's due on goals and when the ref knows it too, players should usually respect it.

I agree with above--but need to be a bit careful in how it plays into perception. Especially true where referees may be perceived as being a "home" referee, would want to be careful about giving an impression that you were rooting for them.

I agree with above--but need to be a bit careful in how it plays into perception. Especially true where referees may be perceived as being a "home" referee, would want to be careful about giving an impression that you were rooting for them.
Great point taking home and away teams into account. Thanks!

Yes I do this with youth but very rarely with adult. I’m also careful to only complement in dead/quiet/undramatic periods. I don’t want to influence a change in tone or start drama accidentally.

If a problem player does something good I sometimes take that opportunity to complement.

I like it most in neutral moments, say if there’s just been a few battles, they’ve broken the press and there’s a lull in midfield. Feels natural for me to comment ”good stuff” or something basic to complement both sides.

Yes I do this with youth but very rarely with adult. I’m also careful to only complement in dead/quiet/undramatic periods. I don’t want to influence a change in tone or start drama accidentally.

If a problem player does something good I sometimes take that opportunity to complement.

I like it most in neutral moments, say if there’s just been a few battles, they’ve broken the press and there’s a lull in midfield. Feels natural for me to comment ”good stuff” or something basic to complement both sides.
All makes sense. I'm with you.

I do it quite a lot but then again I talk all the way through the game including OA, if people heard me they’d probably think I need locking up! Red ball, red, came off blue, 8 is offside, becareful here don’t dive in, great tackle, good pass, corner I mean goal kick, I know I said corner but I pointed for goal kick as it is a goal kick, no I’m not on drugs, you want a sin bin? Actually I need to stop talking I think

I do it quite a lot but then again I talk all the way through the game including OA, if people heard me they’d probably think I need locking up! Red ball, red, came off blue, 8 is offside, becareful here don’t dive in, great tackle, good pass, corner I mean goal kick, I know I said corner but I pointed for goal kick as it is a goal kick, no I’m not on drugs, you want a sin bin? Actually I need to stop talking I think
I think communicating - especially non decisions - is usually really important. In a quiet game it can get annoying if the ref shouts every throw - and like the whistle, overuse can spoil the effect.

I think communicating - especially non decisions - is usually really important. In a quiet game it can get annoying if the ref shouts every throw - and like the whistle, overuse can spoil the effect.
Equally, in todays game I was talking a fair bit, calling throw ins. Whenever I decided a call didn’t need it the players all looked at me confused 😂

As others have said I think it all depends on the type of game and how it is going. Personally, I Iike to communicate as much as possible but most of it is neutral or preventative rather than positive (although in junior games I will take a more positive / supportive tone). However, when the circumstances are right I particularly like to communicate my dissatisfaction when a cracking advantage that should lead to a goal is butchered. Not that it should ever be about me. :)

As others have said I think it all depends on the type of game and how it is going. Personally, I Iike to communicate as much as possible but most of it is neutral or preventative rather than positive (although in junior games I will take a more positive / supportive tone). However, when the circumstances are right I particularly like to communicate my dissatisfaction when a cracking advantage that should lead to a goal is butchered. Not that it should ever be about me. :)
Quite right!

Since using mics more - when we are not using mics - I will complement and thank assistants for good work. This can also be a good way to sell a decision. I also want them to feel good about wait and sees or good timing 🤩

Back