A&H

Cochlear Implants

I was just wondering if there are any rules surrounding cochlear implants? I presume they are allowed, but was wondering if they are a safety issue as obviously they are a bit of hazard with being a bit of plastic on the side of the head (reference the pic below)

processor-on-ear.jpg

One of the lads at my match today had one, and I let him play but could see the potential danger

The Referee Store
I was just wondering if there are any rules surrounding cochlear implants? I presume they are allowed, but was wondering if they are a safety issue as obviously they are a bit of hazard with being a bit of plastic on the side of the head (reference the pic below)

processor-on-ear.jpg

One of the lads at my match today had one, and I let him play but could see the potential danger

Tis' a brave (and very, very foolish) referee who prevents a player who has these from playing.

Had a game this season a bloke wore a false arm. (Amputee, he didn't want 3 arms)

Seemed a bit pointless to me as unlike Cochlear Implants there seemed to me very little functional benefit.

There was no way I was asking him to remove it though.

Last edited:
Tis' a brave (and very, very foolish) referee who prevents a player who has these from playing.

Had a game this season a bloke wore a false arm. (Amputee, he didn't want 3 sarms)

Seemed a bit pointless to me as unlike Cochlear Implants there seemed to me very little functional benefit to me.

There was no way I was asking him to remove it though.
Functional no, psychological yes.

Until he removes his prosthetic arm and batters an opponent over the head with it? :devil:

You could say that about a boot, water bottle or anything on the sidelines.

To be fair to the guy just because he's got a false arm why would you have to assume he's that stupid, Instead of assuming he's not??

You could say that about a boot, water bottle or anything on the sidelines.

To be fair to the guy just because he's got a false arm why would you have to assume he's that stupid, Instead of assuming he's not??
I'm only playing devils advocate here, but you could argue that a prosthetic arm has the potential to be a better weapon than almost anything else found "naturally" around a football pitch? I'm not assuming any worse of this guy - we check other player's equipment for potential hazards in the same way.

I'm only playing devils advocate here, but you could argue that a prosthetic arm has the potential to be a better weapon than almost anything else found "naturally" around a football pitch? I'm not assuming any worse of this guy - we check other player's equipment for potential hazards in the same way.

But you also need to give people an element of respect, and that is in no way whatsoever respectful.

The false arm could have been kept on for balance - would make a difference if he were to remove it if he was used to running with it in place.

False arm as a weapon? Any more of a weapon than an actual arm? Me thinks not. Unless it is obviously dangerous (like it had a massive hook on the end!!) I wouldn't be asking a player to remove their arm.

Let's draw this out to ridiculous lengths - false teeth? Would you get a player to remove them? Could be used as a biting weapon? :D

i did actually try and get one of my team mates out of a handball once by saying to the ref, you do realise he has a false arm and that wasnt deliberate.... got the laugh it deserved and we moved on :)

The false arm could have been kept on for balance - would make a difference if he were to remove it if he was used to running with it in place.

False arm as a weapon? Any more of a weapon than an actual arm? Me thinks not. Unless it is obviously dangerous (like it had a massive hook on the end!!) I wouldn't be asking a player to remove their arm.

Let's draw this out to ridiculous lengths - false teeth? Would you get a player to remove them? Could be used as a biting weapon? :D

I would actively encourage that for the hilarity.

I think the argument of the arm being used as a weapon is simply not relevant. A boot could be a weapon, as somebody else said.
The valid concern with the false arm is simply that if it collects a player's head/face it will do a lot more damage than a real arm.
That's a big 'if'.....and weighing up the disability and discrimination concerns...well, I'm certainly not going to stop him playing with it.
Same with the cochlear implant - I'd say there Is some risk, but it's quite minimal and discrimination concerns will override for me.

Back