A&H

Coaches not knowing the LOTG

The Referee Store
@Viking
Sorry to hear about this today mate. Get those reports in, and on to the next game!
Cheers mate. Just had a long chat with the refs sec of the league to see whether this team has form. Turns out a level 4 ref refuses to ref them. Speaks volumes.

Cheers mate. Just had a long chat with the refs sec of the league to see whether this team has form. Turns out a level 4 ref refuses to ref them. Speaks volumes.
Did you abandon? From what others have said on the forum, any time your safety is in jeopardy... home time
The 'abandoned' status will emphasise to the CFA, the severity of the incident

Had a fun one yesterday...

Red player head injury, whites in possession. Stop play etc...restart with a drop ball.

Reds want to kick it back to whites, explain that whites get possession not reds. White defender kicks the ball back to his own keeper who picks it up! Typically reds score from the free kick.

Why do players not know basic law changes? Baffles me. If I were a manager I'd make sure my players knew everything at the start of the season.

Yep - Womens National League game yesterday - players STILL trying to contest a drop ball:rolleyes:

MOTD on Saturday -forgot which game but it was Andre Marriner as the ref.
CK - ball hits post and rebounds to kicker who plays it again. IDFK the correct decision - commentator 'and the referee has blown for offside':confused::eek::rolleyes:

I've said this before - I think its worse that those that are paid to commentate/report matches in the national media don't know the laws - rather than grassroots players/managers etc who are mainly doing it for 'love'

DOGSO for what? Picking it up?

i'm not sure you've followed the thread! 2 separate incidents...

dogso - goal scored from free kick - dissent

later in the game...

injury - drop ball - passed to keeper - indirect free kick

i'm not sure you've followed the thread! 2 separate incidents...

dogso - goal scored from free kick - dissent

later in the game...

injury - drop ball - passed to keeper - indirect free kick

Doh!! :wall: :oops: Yep seen. Sorry mate. I'll get back in me box ... :D

Reactions: es1
MOTD on Saturday -forgot which game but it was Andre Marriner as the ref.
CK - ball hits post and rebounds to kicker who plays it again. IDFK the correct decision - commentator 'and the referee has blown for offside':confused::eek::rolleyes:

I've said this before - I think its worse that those that are paid to commentate/report matches in the national media don't know the laws - rather than grassroots players/managers etc who are mainly doing it for 'love'
It was the Liverpool Watford match, I remember thinking the exact same thing.

He also got hit by the ball twice in that match. Both times it resulted in a change of possession, but the first one he allowed to carry on - I have a feeling he got reminded of the new law at half time, as he was quick to stop and insist on a drop ball when the second happened after half time!

It was the Liverpool Watford match, I remember thinking the exact same thing.

He also got hit by the ball twice in that match. Both times it resulted in a change of possession, but the first one he allowed to carry on - I have a feeling he got reminded of the new law at half time, as he was quick to stop and insist on a drop ball when the second happened after half time!
Seems unlikely he forgot the law considering this was the first thing he mentioned to me at my game the other day? Wonder if he got told to let it run as it didn’t actually interfere with play( I know that’s not the actual LOTG)

Last edited:
Seems unlikely he forgot the law considering this was the first thing he mentioned to me at my game the other day? Wonder if he got told to let it run as it didn’t actually interfere with play( I know that’s not the actual LOTG)
You're right, I didn't phrase that correctly. Certainly for the one he let go I think it was going to change possession anyway, but as you say, that's not quite the law.

You're right, I didn't phrase that correctly. Certainly for the one he let go I think it was going to change possession anyway, but as you say, that's not quite the law.
I wonder if it’s something refs at a high level are taught to do? Just a theory that they want to keep the game running as fluently as possible because the uncontested dropped ball is still unknown to lots of players and can cause a large disruption?

I wonder if it’s something refs at a high level are taught to do? Just a theory that they want to keep the game running as fluently as possible because the uncontested dropped ball is still unknown to lots of players and can cause a large disruption?

I would not be surprised at all if there are instructions at odds with the LOTG language of the DB. (C.f., GKs and circumvention.) But I don't think it would have anything whatsoever to do with players not yet understanding the uncontested DB. I think it would have to do with the unfairness issue: if the pass was going to be a turnover without touching the R, why should the team get the ball back because it grazed the ref? (I am expecting this is one of the changes from the past summer that gets tweaked at the upcoming meeting.)

Back