A&H

Club assistant's behaviour after the game

He sounds like a bit of a prize cheese melt to me. I’d have an ‘off the record’ chat with referee appointment officer.

In terms of replacing the assistant, I think if he is being unhelpful and disrespectful, I’d rather have someone who is unqualified and wants to be a positive ambassador for the game.

The Referee Store
One of the referee development coaches/trainers on the ref courses etc loves to tell the story of running the line on his kids games... at the time League One/Championship AR Saturday afternoon, ball in and out + offside Sunday morning.

One of the referee development coaches/trainers on the ref courses etc loves to tell the story of running the line on his kids games... at the time League One/Championship AR Saturday afternoon, ball in and out + offside Sunday morning.
I recall the first 'proper referee' I met in grassroots football.

His lad was playing u15/16, I asked the manager who'd be 'running the line' and he pointed this chap out to me.

I'd say mid 30s, looked athletic enough, didn't think much of it.

Before I could disappear, the manager then told me the 'lino' was a current EFL assistant referee...

Went over, mentioned what I knew and the AR wasn't happy (in a joking way) that he'd been 'dropped in it', so to speak.

Anyway, I've never seen a CAR run so fast!

One minute I looked at him at halfway, looked away, back and he was down in line with the 6 yard area!

I genuinely thought he was teleporting!

After that, he did a few games in a Saturday afternoon local OA league that I was often assistant on. Ran his line a couple of times, and still remember a lad watching saying 'i like this ref, he's having none of it' to the moaning about players not getting decisions.

I think he's stopped now as not really seen his name on the league fixtures but a thoroughly lovely chap!

Totally.

Even if I've got Michael Oliver there watching his kid play and he offers to CAR for me - all he's flagging is ball in/out of play and offside.

Anything else just isn't right.
Unless his dad is on the other line? :p

Just after I qualified I had one of the instructors on my course on the line for a youth match I was in the middle for - she was quite happy to just follow the normal CAR process, although, as it was only my 3rd or 4th qualified middle, I did feel a little intimidated!

Back