A&H

Club assistants - advice please

The Referee Store
CAR do not cheat they are misguided by lack of knowledge of the laws of the game I advise any car that I have ever had that if I feel at any time you are not doing the job correctly I will either remove you or ignore your flag this of course said in front of the skipper before the toss, so when I do and the defending / attacking team moan about it I point out your skipper knew what I was going to do have a go at him
happy days

No. Most are misguided. Some plain cheat. And almost all will give the 50:50 calls their way.

and if you are in a proper position why would you be guessing

I put it in inverted commas for that very season!

but if you are up with play you will see that said person is not off side overrule him goal scored fall out pick your flag up out of the dirties bit of mud and with a smile on you're face sorry mate I got that one right lol .................. then we woke up in the real world

Rubbish Mike... The are some out there that cheat like there's no tomorrow!

Pointless not using CARs for offside.
The call is always the referees anyway. Having a CAR suddenly stick his flag up when a ball is played through or over a defence at least alerts you to the possibility of offside. It's then up to you to make a split second judgement and either blow your whistle or wave him away and shout "no, play on". You'd still have to make the judgement in a split second if he wasn't there, so why make it more difficult for yourself? So long as both teams have been briefed on how it's to work, there's no sense in not employing another body on the job. It's a no-brainer for me.....

Bottom line is, as a referee you will never be able to get in a credible position each time to accurately call the line. The fitness levels wil need to be huge, especially as you climb up the ladder.

I'm still fit and fast, I consider my movement around the pitch to be good, there are times where I am up with play and in a credible position to be able to determine whether an attacker is offside. I certainly couldn't do that for the full duration of an action packed game! Obviously, that depends on the level. But, for example, in a counter attacking scenario, the ball will 9/10 always be ahead of the referee and then, if you're giving offsides (by looking across the line), there's always the chance to miss a defender behind you playing an attacker onside.

Personally, I like having CARs. I know quite a few involved with clubs down here that often run the line. Some, I would trust their every call. Others, I'd question their every call.

CARs do help us out a great deal, regardless of what people may say. Offside is often a sticky area but that's exactly why, as a referee you need to have a thorough undstanding of the laws (as you'd expect) but also have the ability to get into positions where you can make a decision based on a CARs flag, your knowledge, understanding and of course, what you see.

Last edited:
CARs do help us out a great deal, regardless of what people may say. Offside is often a sticky area but that's exactly why, as a referee you need to have a thorough undstanding of the laws (as you'd expect) but also have the ability to get into positions where you can make a decision based on a CARs flag, your knowledge, understanding and of course, what you see.

This ^ ^ ^
All day long. :)

Reactions: DB
Bottom line is, as a referee you will never be able to get in a credible each time to accurately call the line. The fitness levels wil need to be huge, especially as you climb up the ladder.

I'm still fit and fast, I consider my movement around the pitch to be good, there are times where I am up with play and in a credible position to be able to determine whether an attacker is offside. I certainly couldn't do that for the full duration of an action packed game! Obviously, that depends on the level. But, for example, in a counter attacking scenario, the ball will 9/10 always be ahead of the referee and then, if you're giving offsides (by looking across the line), there's always the chance to miss a defender behind you playing an attacker onside.

Personally, I like having CARs. I know quite a few involved with clubs down here that often run the line. Some, I would trust their every call. Others, I'd question their every call.

I need to retire to a darkened room.......I actually agree with you!

I must be coming down with something.....

I need to retire to a darkened room.......I actually agree with you!

I must be coming down with something.....

Moderatorsssssss... He's had his account hacked again :ninja:

I tend to include in my pre match speech with CAR'S

'throw in's, corners, offsides - I will try and stick with your offside call 90% of the time - if I feel that you haven't spotted something I have then I will play on, give you a thumbs up and lower the flag gesture'

always seem to be happy with that, and on the occasions I do over rule, I do it nicely and respectfully.

I think giving the thumbs up first says 'thanks, good job, but ill continue'

"Gents, firstly thanks for taking the flag, I do appreciate that you'd rather be playing (if they are kitted up). Please keep an eye out for when the ball leaves play. I will call everything as I see it. If I am not 100% sure of who had the last touch before the ball went out, I will then look for you; if you've not seen it, just follow my lead.

With offsides, if I can see a player is clearly onside, I will resume play. If I'm not 100% sure, I will look at you. If you've flagged and I wave play on, don't be offended, it just means that i have seen something you may not have".

That's my story every game. I clearly state that I will take control and that decisions are up to me unless I'm clearly unsure. Always well received and shows confidence :) That's all done with the Captains present, that way they get the same vibe

Last edited:
"Gents, firstly thanks for taking the flag, I do appreciate that you'd rather be playing (if they are kitted up). Please keep an eye out for when the ball leaves play. I will call everything as I see it. If I am not 100% sure of who had the last touch before the ball went out, I will then look for you; if you've not seen it, just follow my lead.

With offsides, if I can see a player is clearly onside, I will resume play. If I'm not 100% sure, I will look at you. If you've flagged and I wave play on, don't be offended, it just means that i have seen a something you may not have".

That's my story every game. I clearly state that I will take control and that decisions are up to me unless I'm clearly unsure. Always well received and shows confidence :) That's all done with the Captains present, that way they get the same vibe

I also add (in front of captains and managers/coaches) "Gents [or ladies], whilst you're carrying the flag you are part of my team; if anything is being said to you that causes problems, let me know and I will come over and sort it out". Plus, if its a youth game, I also remind them that they are not allowed to coach whilst running the line.

Back