The Ref Stop

clever play or deception?

The Ref Stop
Corner kick was never taken properly.
It is allowed but the kick has to be taken correctly. In this case the ball is not placed in the corner arc and so the ball is not in play.

There are too many things wrong with it, if not rolling ball then I would give it as double touch. If not for the second player, then the first player. They can't have it both ways. The first player who supposedly took the corner kick kicked it twice . The first one puts in play, the second is a double touch.

A few years ago, IFAB put the word 'clearly' before 'moves' for the ball to be put in play to stop this sort of trickery.

I still think this was such the wrong fix. It would be more clear if they made it so the ball had to leave the arc. (And it always drives me nuts when I see youth teams trying to pull this nonsense. With as little practice time as they have, they spend it on this instead of, we’ll, learning soccer skills?)

I still think this was such the wrong fix. It would be more clear if they made it so the ball had to leave the arc.
Disagree. It goes against other restarts and the direction taken on all kick restarts. Even a goal kick now is in play as soon as the ball is kicked.

I won't blame this one on IFAB. This is is on us referees allowing it to happen even though IFAB has expressed it shouldn't.

The clearest option would be that the ball is not in play unless it is stationary having been set by the hands and then clearly moves after being kicked. Saves this ambiguous 'kick it around a bit and then pretend its not in play' thing that goes on.

Corner wasn't taken when the second player takes the ball, IDFK to hartlepool once the attacking player takes the second touch.

I can't see when it was stationary to be kicked by the first player, so the second player put it in play and then played it again. IDFK. I'm not complicating it with a caution (for which player?).

Player 1 has not committed an offence. Player 2 has played the ball twice (as the original was not a "kick and move" situation, player 2 took the corner kick), so an indirect free kick (no caution) for that offence.
I think because ifab introduced the amendment to law as it felt the old trick it was designed to stop was unsporting folks are suggesting that this should now be a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.

I personally don't think we need to go down that road, simply incorrect taken corner.

As the ball was never in play, the only restart available is a retake of the corner.

Back