The Ref Stop

Classic offside lesson

In fairness, perhaps the AR thinks he's doing the right thing by giving himself a head start so that he's at the business end where the ball will be knocked in in case of any issues or a goal line judgement to make. He's wrong, of course, but there's a degree of effort there.
Looking forward to this empathy being on show if I'm lucky enough to line for you later this season ... ;) :D
 
The Ref Stop
He should be static on the half way line ready to go as the second last defender is in the other half. It is natural reaction to set off early, but his position here makes me certain he has forgot about the keeper being missing and was tracking the last defender. Even from his position he should be able to see the attackers were in the attacking half, but it would be nigh on impossible to see if they were ahead of the ball. The still is the closest I can get to the ball being released and it is very tight.

But I do firmly believe the reason he didn't flag is he forgot about it being the second last defender.

1791404004787.png
 
but it would be nigh on impossible to see if they were ahead of the ball.
If you get the still/frame/freeze right the decision on all elements would be relatively easy even from that poor position. The ball was kicked from right on the line. I do agree though, it seems his focus was on the last defender rather than the second last defender.

1000048669.jpg
 
If you get the still/frame/freeze right the decision on all elements would be relatively easy even from that poor position. The ball was kicked from right on the line. I do agree though, it seems his focus was on the last defender rather than the second last defender.

View attachment 8879
I tried to get to the correct point of release but just couldn't, never let me be a VAR operator 😂

He's so far ahead of where he should be though that it is much more difficult than it should be, and whatever he does certainly wouldn't have been credible.
 
Back
Top