A&H

City vs Villa

The Referee Store
Agree, Joshref, 4 minutes added, in stoppage time we have ‘injuries’ to Foden & Emerson taking up 2 full minutes so MO adds on 24 seconds over 4 minutes, referees have to get wiser to time wasting.

In all likelihood Villa wouldn't have scored but to have a situation where one goal would change the title to only add 24 seconds is really bad form.

I suspect Michael Oliver was worried for the safety of his team with yet another pitch invasion and took the opportunity to get off. It really is getting ridiculous now.

Certainly not complaining from a fan perspective (didn’t want Liverpool winning the title) but how has there been such little injury time added on there?
Just a reflection of the PGMOL's season
Thankfully, I don't think VAR significantly contributed to what was a very exciting afternoon of football. And that's coming from someone who has lost a good deal of interest in the EPL (and Europe)

Don’t blame MO for dashing off. You seen the state of the crossbar?!

I would make absolutely no apology for getting my team off safely. If the football authorities can't sort this out referees will have to take it into their own hands, it was obvious what was going to happen as supporters had surged forwards torwards the advertising hoardings. In fairness to the Man City security teams, they managed it well, at least in comparison to the shambles we have seen in other games, but the bottom line is a match official is simply not safe if they are on the pitch at the same time as thousands of supporters, many of whome will be drunk.

Let's be honest though, Villa couldn't even get the ball so it has made no difference to the outcome

Problem is with modern fence free stadiums, how do you stop the pitch invasions? Certainly wasn't for the lack of stewards, appeared to be plenty of them, but it's going to be a nigh on impossible task when so many are so determined. Dry moats maybe? Would safety regulations allow that?

As for the game, I have no issue with the amount of 2nd half stoppage time given Villa's timewasting from the start. Anyone giving anything for Fernandinho's tug on Watkins?

Problem is with modern fence free stadiums, how do you stop the pitch invasions? Certainly wasn't for the lack of stewards, appeared to be plenty of them, but it's going to be a nigh on impossible task when so many are so determined. Dry moats maybe? Would safety regulations allow that?

As for the game, I have no issue with the amount of 2nd half stoppage time given Villa's timewasting from the start. Anyone giving anything for Fernandinho's tug on Watkins?
Collapsible barriers like they have at Wembley. Or retrospective action, like if your fans invade the pitch and you are promoted the first three home league games will only have away supporters allowed in. Or if it happens in a semi-final you have your ticket allowance for the final halved. Yes, it is punishing the innocent fans, but this isn't the odd person invading the pitch, it is thousands and is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or even killed. Aston Villa are reporting that their keeper was injured during today's invasion.

No foul for me on Watkins, he has massively axaggerated the contact.

Should have played to 96. But Villa were spent. Can’t ask for more than a two goal lead. Looking back, Mings passing to KDB in his own box was a big moment!

But really, deserved for City.

I watched both games. Taylor let a load of fouls go. Again, consistent with the second half of this season but OMG crazy really.

Brilliant day of football again;)

Should have played to 96. But Villa were spent. Can’t ask for more than a two goal lead. Looking back, Mings passing to KDB in his own box was a big moment!

But really, deserved for City.

I watched both games. Taylor let a load of fouls go. Again, consistent with the second half of this season but OMG crazy really.

Brilliant day of football again;)
We were so poor today, I was resigned to losing it. Not quite qpr again but not far off

I’d love to be a fly on the wall and know what the powers that be thought of the added time. Did they want it done properly per the LOTG with at least 2 min more, or were they happy with 24 seconds? I have a sneaky feeling they were just fine with what he did.

Since when have the powers that be been interested in the laws of the game actually being applied? Lost count of how many times I have seen games, including cup finals where 4 minutes or so is added, in that time subs get brought on, someone sits on the floor for 2 mins and virtually nothing gets added on. As I said recently in another thread, I keep hearing it's about "managing the show" at the highest levels and yet the paying public (without who there would be no show) are being massively short changed by the amount of timewasting that goes unpunished in every game!

I went back and timed it. The ball was in play for 90 seconds of the 4:25 of added time.
And the ball is in play for an average of about 50 minutes of a 90 minute game. This isn’t anything unusual these days and nothing specifically to do with this fixture. Added time is a flawed process and time wasting isn’t properly punished

Back