A&H

Chelsea v Man City

Coming back to my touch with the foot/dribble scenario.

I’d got my wires crossed. Half remembered something about trying to circumvent the law by dribbling it in, then picking it up. My thought process was this occurred outside with the first touch hence the kick.

Or in short made 2 and 2 into 22 instead of 4.

The Referee Store
Coming back to my touch with the foot/dribble scenario.

I’d got my wires crossed. Half remembered something about trying to circumvent the law by dribbling it in, then picking it up. My thought process was this occurred outside with the first touch hence the kick.

Or in short made 2 and 2 into 22 instead of 4.
Just watched it on MotD2, I'm glad I'm not going mad 😂

Taylor also had a car crash advantage he pulled back.

Considering Taylor and MO are my favourite refs they were very poor this weekend and I have them both with two errors in law and other serious clangers for 7.7s! Human I guess.

Silver lining was Rob Jones who had a great game in New-Leic but he did play the ball 3 times in the first half!

Considering Taylor and MO are my favourite refs they were very poor this weekend and I have them both with two errors in law and other serious clangers for 7.7s! Human I guess.

Silver lining was Rob Jones who had a great game in New-Leic but he did play the ball 3 times in the first half!

yeah that was an incredibly generous and lengthy advantage. there was a clear foul in the city defensive third, rodri kept possession and moved away from pressure before giving it away.

You thought Rob Jones had a great game? I thought he was really poor and a top flight referee in a game as easy to read as that one shouldn’t be getting in the way 3 times.

You thought Rob Jones had a great game? I thought he was really poor and a top flight referee in a game as easy to read as that one shouldn’t be getting in the way 3 times.
I think the point is often being made that referees seem to be turning 10 man defences into 11.

I thought Rob Jones was very good too
I don't pay that much attn. to being hit by the ball. Just bad luck, although I know we kick ourselves when it happens
It was refreshing to see an EPL ref let the game flow and he wasn't duped into soft FKs by the usual cheating behaviour on show
I like his demeanour. Calm and authoritative

As for the Taylor IDFK; I can't offer any explanation for this. Very obvious at the time. Spirit of the Game was OK for the kicking of the Corner Flag. The players wouldn't know the Law so I doubt they'd have registered if a goal had been scored from the re-take
A match-stick would trip Vardy up BTW 😂

Yes, he got hit by the ball three times, but I don't recall him getting any decisions wrong, certainly not big ones, and that is the key thing. Style of play in the Premier League is very different to the Championship, and I got the impression he is having to work to change his positioning. Must be even harder in a Newcastle game given not even their players know where the ball is going to go ... :)

It can just happen. I went years without getting hit by the ball then got in the way twice in the space of 5 minutes in a contrib game, leading to a chant from the crowd of "sign him up" ...!

Yes, he got hit by the ball three times, but I don't recall him getting any decisions wrong, certainly not big ones, and that is the key thing. Style of play in the Premier League is very different to the Championship, and I got the impression he is having to work to change his positioning. Must be even harder in a Newcastle game given not even their players know where the ball is going to go ... :)

It can just happen. I went years without getting hit by the ball then got in the way twice in the space of 5 minutes in a contrib game, leading to a chant from the crowd of "sign him up" ...!

I mean in fairness, there were no KMIs at all? There were two very half-hearted penalty shouts that no one would have given and gave some very strange 50/50s.

I thought Rob Jones was very good too
I don't pay that much attn. to being hit by the ball. Just bad luck, although I know we kick ourselves when it happens
It was refreshing to see an EPL ref let the game flow and he wasn't duped into soft FKs by the usual cheating behaviour on show
I like his demeanour. Calm and authoritative

As for the Taylor IDFK; I can't offer any explanation for this. Very obvious at the time. Spirit of the Game was OK for the kicking of the Corner Flag. The players wouldn't know the Law so I doubt they'd have registered if a goal had been scored from the re-take
A match-stick would trip Vardy up BTW 😂

To pick up on your point on soft free kicks. This weekend I've noticed a bit of a shift away from awarding a free kick everytime a player gets his body between the opponent and the ball and throws themselves to the ground knowing that a free kick is guaranteed. Marriner let alot go last night which was great to see. Safe refereeing has begun to adversely effect the game. Players just fall over when they're between the ball and the opponent in their own half knowing that the ref will give the free kick. Often both the attacker and the defender laugh because they both know it was never a free kick but the ref will always give it these days (the refs know whats happening too and often they smile during these incidents). Its shifted defending more towards body position than actually tackling for the ball which alot of fans, including me, really dislike.

It was great to see AM last night ignore alot of the dives

This weekend I've noticed a bit of a shift away from awarding a free kick everytime a player gets his body between the opponent and the ball and throws themselves to the ground knowing that a free kick is guaranteed. Marriner let alot go last night which was great to see.
Didn't the only goal of the game come from a free kick given in exactly that manner?

Didn't the only goal of the game come from a free kick given in exactly that manner?

There will always be soft free kicks but that was in an attacking area where safe refereeing is less relevant in this context. But particularly in teams defensive areas, there are guaranteed free kicks for falling over once a defender has his body between the ball and the opponent. Its completely accepted at the top level. Players deliberately fall on top of the ball or grab the ball with their hands when they go down too just to make sure the ref has little choice but to award the free kick. I did notice a few of these dives ignored this weekend which is my point. Hopefully it continues

Last edited:
I think he had another. Player taking corner kicks the flag, hurts his leg, but plays the ball - ref stops play and allows another go at the corner. What if they'd scored from the retake?
That's another brain freeze for me. It should either be play on or possibly, stop play and restart with a dropped ball if he thought the player was seriously injured.

I remember this exact same thing happening a couple of years back in a Boro match. The referee in that instance correctly allowed play to go on - until the player decided to compound his error by playing the ball (which had only trickled a few inches away) a second time, at which point the referee of course awarded an indirect free kick against him.

Last edited:
There will always be soft free kicks but that was in an attacking area where safe refereeing is less relevant in this context. But particularly in teams defensive areas, there are guaranteed free kicks for falling over once a defender has his body between the ball and the opponent. Its completely accepted at the top level. Players deliberately fall on top of the ball or grab the ball with their hands when they go down too just to make sure the ref has little choice but to award the free kick. I did notice a few of these dives ignored this weekend which is my point. Hopefully it continues
Did you see the incident when the Southampton GK was awarded a FK due to a collision with his own defender?
Safe Refereeing taken too far equates to Bad Refereeing. I know through my own experience, it's a core skill to know when to use 'safe decisions', but equally when not to

On another subject, I've seen a number of those 'professional fouls' in recent weeks. When defensive player's take an SPA 'yellow card' for the team. The problem I have with it, is they have complete disregard for the safety of the opponent and are solely intent on taking the player down with no possibility of playing the ball. I'd like to see SFP criteria weakened to stop this form of cheating (which has always been in the game, to be fair)

Did you see the incident when the Southampton GK was awarded a FK due to a collision with his own defender?
Haven't seen it, but assuming that was what the FK was for, and not something else (such as an attacker pushing the defender into the attacker), it's one of those mistakes that can happen in the heat of the moment, and for which there is no remedy: if the R realizes his error, the inadvertent whistle means it is a DB--and since it is in the PA, it is dropped to the GK.

Safe Refereeing taken too far equates to Bad Refereeing. I know through my own experience, it's a core skill to know when to use 'safe decisions', but equally when not to

On another subject, I've seen a number of those 'professional fouls' in recent weeks. When defensive player's take an SPA 'yellow card' for the team. The problem I have with it, is they have complete disregard for the safety of the opponent and are solely intent on taking the player down with no possibility of playing the ball. I'd like to see SFP criteria weakened to stop this form of cheating (which has always been in the game, to be fair)

I completely understand the idea of safe refereeing. Who wants to listen to a manager slag them off on tv for an incident that led to a goal when they could just give an easy free kick that everyone has forgotten about 1 min later.

However, its now at such a level that the players are using it to ensure that every tackle in the opposition half by an attacker leads to a foul if the defender falls over. Theres alot of potential goals being denied because a defender has thrown himself to the ground knowing the ref will never not give a foul because of the potential controversy. Again, I completely understand the reasoning at the top level for extremely safe refereeing, but it does spoil the spectacle somewhat. Its changed the way players defend. They used to jockey the ball when they are between it and the attacker. Now they wait for the slightest touch and fall on it! The play acting and diving is as bad from defenders now as it is from attackers

However, its now at such a level that the players are using it to ensure that every tackle in the opposition half by an attacker leads to a foul if the defender falls over. Theres alot of potential goals being denied because a defender has thrown himself to the ground knowing the ref will never not give a foul because of the potential controversy. Again, I completely understand the reasoning at the top level for extremely safe refereeing, but it does spoil the spectacle somewhat. Its changed the way players defend. They used to jockey the ball when they are between it and the attacker. Now they wait for the slightest touch and fall on it! The play acting and diving is as bad from defenders now as it is from attackers
This is a kind of change that can realistically only be made with pre-season announcements and consistency from officials. A single official can't plausibly make an unexpected call that changes an expected routine play into a scoring chance (possibly even a PK). So until the powers that be care about how it affects the game, nothing is going to change--like a number of things we moan about.

This is a kind of change that can realistically only be made with pre-season announcements and consistency from officials. A single official can't plausibly make an unexpected call that changes an expected routine play into a scoring chance (possibly even a PK). So until the powers that be care about how it affects the game, nothing is going to change--like a number of things we moan about.

Absolutely. Most pre season announcements to curb unsavoury things in the game lasted about a month (initiatives on dissent and shirt pulling). Its just been accepted in the game and the game is poorer for it imo. A bit like diving and running upto the ball to stand over it to prevent a free kick. These things have slowly been accepted in the gane because they weren't penalised properly for years and the extent of whats allowed increases over that time and now there's no going back. Its evolution of the gane in a negative way for me and one that was very preventable if tackled early and decisevly.

Haven't seen it, but assuming that was what the FK was for, and not something else (such as an attacker pushing the defender into the attacker), it's one of those mistakes that can happen in the heat of the moment, and for which there is no remedy: if the R realizes his error, the inadvertent whistle means it is a DB--and since it is in the PA, it is dropped to the GK.
I actually think it's a good example of where PL referees need to be a bit smarter about the fact they're in a post-VAR world. Delay the whistle, let the attacker have that moment to put the ball in the net (or not in this case!), then give the foul and wait to see if the VAR chirps up in your ear to say that actually you should allow the goal. Blowing early is the smart thing for all of us to do in grassroots football, but I'm not sure that's still true in VAR matches in some specific cases.

I actually think it's a good example of where PL referees need to be a bit smarter about the fact they're in a post-VAR world. Delay the whistle, let the attacker have that moment to put the ball in the net (or not in this case!), then give the foul and wait to see if the VAR chirps up in your ear to say that actually you should allow the goal. Blowing early is the smart thing for all of us to do in grassroots football, but I'm not sure that's still true in VAR matches in some specific cases.
My sense is that is going farther on delayed whistle than VAR envisions. It's one thing to delay on an ongoing GSO, but another to delay on a foul to gain control. That path, to me, seems a step to far and goes into the "let's just ref by VAR" model.

Back