A&H

Chelsea v Man City

My sense is that is going farther on delayed whistle than VAR envisions. It's one thing to delay on an ongoing GSO, but another to delay on a foul to gain control. That path, to me, seems a step to far and goes into the "let's just ref by VAR" model.
We're drifting towards a philosophical debate about what is and isn't fair use of VAR here, which could go on forever without us agreeing! From my perspective, I'm not saying "delay a foul to gain control", I'm saying "delay a foul so that if you're wrong, you've not incorrectly denied a goal".

All I'm really saying is that you wait and see where the next kick goes. If it's cleared then you can either call it an advantage or give the foul regardless. Same for if the shot is taken and goes wide. It's only if it goes in, or is deflected out for a corner that you even need to act at all - and then all you're doing is giving the initial decision you were going to give anyway, and seeing if the VAR is OK with that call.

The Referee Store
I actually think it's a good example of where PL referees need to be a bit smarter about the fact they're in a post-VAR world. Delay the whistle, let the attacker have that moment to put the ball in the net (or not in this case!), then give the foul and wait to see if the VAR chirps up in your ear to say that actually you should allow the goal. Blowing early is the smart thing for all of us to do in grassroots football, but I'm not sure that's still true in VAR matches in some specific cases.

I had the same debate with a mate the other day. Its almost inevitable that refs will start to not give penalties and let VAR decide unless its 100% obviously a pen. Who can blame them when players have become experts at leaving a leg in and diving following minimal contact (but not enough to clear the C&O bar to retract the penalty decision).

I think one outcome of VAR will be a raising of the bar of what constitutes a penalty. I put some figures on here about how penalties were up hugely this season (not sure by how much now we are almost half way through but assume its still high if not as high as early season). I dont think anyone in football wants so many matches being decided by penalty decisions. Its becoming like hockey where the best chance of scoring is to get in the crowded area and win a penalty corner.

I think as refs naturally give less (and allow VAR to make more decisions from the no penalty scenario), the number of penalties will thankfully begin to drop. It was getting to the point earlier this season where teams were finding it easier to create penalty opportunities than good chances and thats was unsavoury to watch.

Back