A&H

Chelsea Spurs Lo Celso

The Referee Store
The whole incident was a disaster from start to finish. Forget all the context around the decision and just concentrate on the decision itself. It's a red card, no other option. If you sat Coote, Walton and Stockley Park members in a room and showed them that clip and asked for a decision they would all say it was a red card.

Worryingly, Coote doesn't say red, Walton is on tv saying it's not a red and then Stockley Park issues their original statement saying that it's not a red.

There is absolutely no way imo that all 3 factions don't think this is a red. These are some of the best Referees/ex referees in the country and it's a very easy decision.

Therefore, it's clear to me that their judgement is being clouded by other factors, and they're not just looking at the incident in front of them. They're worried about overturning the on field referee, wanting to protect him, trying to keep VAR out of the headlines etc etc.

What a disaster.

Ref Watch just been on Sky
Gallagher blindly defending the VAR week after week. Embarrassing and patronising to everyone involved in football

Did the VAR think there was no intent by Lo Celso? If so, then the VAR is a bloody mind reader. It is far easier to judge intent than it no intent. It must be that all VARs are also trained psychologists. Lo Celso didn't have to "step/stamp"on the player, he could have fallen forward on his hands to avoid any contact. Either way, it is a straight red as far as I'm concerned.

Removed due to deleted post
This doesn't seem to have been a failing of VAR, but rather a failing of the VAR. i.e. the person sat in Stockley Park.

In a normal game referees miss things, you get one chance, and if your positioning is off, or a player runs I front of you at the crucial moment you're stuffed.

But in this case there is no excuse for the VAR not to recommend serious foul play, the only question could see him having is whether it was SFP or VC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed due to deleted post
VAR isn't some kind of magic system, it's a bloke in a portacabin watching some replays. If he's an idiot, incompetent or too cowardly to make a decision then it's no different from a traditional referee being all of the above - except it causes people to crawl out of the woodwork and moan about VAR for no particular reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
VAR isn't some kind of magic system, it's a bloke in a portacabin watching some replays. If he's an idiot, incompetent or too cowardly to make a decision then it's no different from a traditional referee being all of the above - except it causes people to crawl out of the woodwork and moan about VAR for no particular very valid reasons.
Not quite right @GraemeS .........fixed it for you...

I'm half-wondering if this happened 'cos on some technicality Coote was checking for SFP and it doesn't fulfil the criteria of that, and is VC instead (or whatever way round), then they can't... Like "Did he shoot the guy?" No, he stabbed him. "Well then he's innocent of shooting." on some How To Do The VAR Flowchart. Oh I dunno anymore, think I've gone beyond caring mid-thought.

This doesn't seem to have been a failing of VAR, but rather a failing of the VAR. i.e. the person sat in Stockley Park.

In a normal game referees miss things, you get one chance, and if your positioning is off, or a player runs I front of you at the crucial moment you're stuffed.

But in this case there is no excuse for the VAR not to recommend serious foul play, the only question could see him having is whether it was SFP or VC.
Exactly, he had the tools, use them!

Was sure you were gonna pull out a classic "All the gear..." quote here SF! ;)
As a referee I’ve seen live I’m quite surprised as he’s been pretty decent at Bramall Lane! They seem washed out with protocols and gerrymandering bosses on different pages of what VAR was actually for!

I'm half-wondering if this happened 'cos on some technicality Coote was checking for SFP and it doesn't fulfil the criteria of that, and is VC instead (or whatever way round), then they can't... Like "Did he shoot the guy?" No, he stabbed him. "Well then he's innocent of shooting." on some How To Do The VAR Flowchart. Oh I dunno anymore, think I've gone beyond caring mid-thought.
At least according to an article in something called the Wink Report, David Coote has supposedly given an explanation as to why he didn't see it as SFP or VC. Two other websites I came across had almost identical reports of his reasoning, although with slightly different wording.
''[Coote's] verdict on the decision at the time was that Lo Celso was protecting the ball from Azpilicueta, who came underneath him to win the ball.

The Argentine had his leg straight when he ‘stamped’ on his opponent, but Coote didn’t think the action had enough ‘intensity or point of contact’ to warrant a sending off.

The VAR official reportedly later changed his mind after watching a replay, and conceded a red card should have been issued.

He was also told he should have asked on-pitch referee Michael Oliver to use his pitchside monitor to have another look at the incident."

VAR reasoning for Lo Celso incident

VAR isn't some kind of magic system, it's a bloke in a portacabin watching some replays. If he's an idiot, incompetent or too cowardly to make a decision then it's no different from a traditional referee being all of the above - except it causes people to crawl out of the woodwork and moan about VAR for no particular reason.

'No different form a traditional referee' - that's the nub of the problem surely?

Except with the VAR process;

a) You have the delay
b) You often have a decision conflicting with the 'traditional' ref
c) You have the expectation from 'football' inc media that 'VAR' is going to get it right 100% of the time

Back