A&H

Checking if there's jewellery under tape?

Trip

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm very strict about jewellery. You can't tape it up, it has to come off.

I had a player today with tape on her ears. I asked her if there was jewellery underneath and she said there wasn't, it was an infected ear.

It looked an awful lot like there was jewellery under there.

What's the right course of action here?

The Referee Store
So hard to say. You mightn't want to physically inspect it in case you caused pain to the infected area. Perhaps make a note in your book as to what you were told in case it is jewellery and it gets ripped out?

Tough one.

Reactions: Kes
Two options - a) take her word for it, or b) ask her to take the tape off so you can see that there's nothing under it.

Two options - a) take her word for it,

I'm in this park.

The players know they're not to wear jewelry full stop.

If the player says it's not jewelry and just an infected ear dressing then unless I can visibly and clearly see otherwise, I'm letting it go.

Like @Redster said, maybe make a note of the interaction just in case but it's their funeral ... :cool:

Reactions: one
Don't go looking for trouble. If it's very obvious there is something under the tape and you are very strict about it, then maybe option B because other players can see it too. Otherwise option a.

I had a player wearing a HR monitor smart watch under a wrist sweatband. It was obvious enough to ask him to take it off. But I never ask anyone I want to check under the wrist sweatband for bracelets.

Don't go looking for trouble. If it's very obvious there is something under the tape and you are very strict about it, then maybe option B because other players can see it too. Otherwise option a.

I had a player wearing a HR monitor smart watch under a wrist sweatband. It was obvious enough to ask him to take it off. But I never ask anyone I want to check under the wrist sweatband for bracelets.
Pretty much this

me: what’s under there
Them: nothing

we both get on with our day

Infuriatingly, Tuanzebe is playing tonight whilst wearing an apple watch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-192211_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-192211_Twitter.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 51
Bear in mind it was covered for almost the entire game so no one would have seen it, and assistants can no longer check players as they leave changing rooms because of the Covid protocols. Shouldn't be happening, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't the end of the World.

As an aside, that isn't an Apple Watch and rather appears to be an Onyx ProKnit fitness band.

Bear in mind it was covered for almost the entire game so no one would have seen it, and assistants can no longer check players as they leave changing rooms because of the Covid protocols. Shouldn't be happening, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't the end of the World.

As an aside, that isn't an Apple Watch and rather appears to be an Onyx ProKnit fitness band.
You always seem to defend the Referees from this unacceptable dereliction of duty
I'd expect to marked down 7-to-6 for missing such an obvious transgression, so why should top refs get away with an entry-level competency?

You always seem to defend the Referees from this unacceptable dereliction of duty
I'd expect to marked down 7-to-6 for missing such an obvious transgression, so why should top refs get away with an entry-level competency?

because the powers that be and refs dont give a flying f**k and pander to the teams / players, much like how they do with dissent and offinabus

because the powers that be and refs dont give a flying f**k and pander to the teams / players, much like how they do with dissent and offinabus
Did you see Zaha's outburst last night? Sky-502 without the background racket, we got to hear his precious attitude quite clearly

Not defending, rather looking at why it might have happened. And pointing out is clearly isn't an Apple Watch :)

Not defending, rather looking at why it might have happened. And pointing out is clearly isn't an Apple Watch :)
Daft thing is, I know you'd be more thorough with these checks than I am!
I despair at the pro-game on a daily basis. As you know all too well :meh:

Back