The Ref Stop

Champions league /VAR

these were offsides i called from 100 yards away and one that led to ederson diving headfirst towards an onrushing attacker. seems ludicrous to let play go on in circumstances like that

the villa one is different. AR clearly made an initial judgement mistake. after that 3 city players including the keeper who could have made attempts to stop the shot all pulled out once the whistle was blown so a goal definitely not guaranteed
City fan in "calls offside when the ball goes near City's defence" shocker! ;)

Taking you on good faith though, the point still stands. If it's that obvious, the flag should have gone up regardless - the existing system already gives the outcome you want. We don't need to start building receivers into AR's flags or anything, we just need to do the current process better.

• Haha
Reactions: es1
The Ref Stop
City fan in "calls offside when the ball goes near City's defence" shocker! ;)

Taking you on good faith though, the point still stands. If it's that obvious, the flag should have gone up regardless - the existing system already gives the outcome you want. We don't need to start building receivers into AR's flags or anything, we just need to do the current process better.

I think flags absolutely must go up earlier. There's so many obvious ones that get delayed and all it does is annoy players, managers and soectators. We can be better

I'd like to think I'm pretty fair when it comes to 'assessing' how refs perform at city!

I think part of the problem is still that we are asking ARs to break a decade or more of muscle memoryby delaying the flag in some situation. It’s hardly surprising that we get an overreaction in when not to flag as they adjust to the completely new set of guidelines.

I think part of the problem is still that we are asking ARs to break a decade or more of muscle memoryby delaying the flag in some situation. It’s hardly surprising that we get an overreaction in when not to flag as they adjust to the completely new set of guidelines.
Asking refs to become video editors. And reinventing AR technique. Nightmare.
That said, Spurs' 6th was wrongly flagged today and VAR got Son his hat trick...

I think (if my understanding is correct) we're pretty much there aren't we? The tech tells who's in an offside position every time the ball is kicked automatically doesn't it? 'All' that is needed is manual input to determine if an offside offence has taken place.
That's not quite accurate - the tech determines if there's a player in an offside position (PIOP) each time the ball is kicked and issues an alert if that player then receives the ball. It can't decide if a PIOP has interfered with an opponent, for instance.

See FIFA video on the link below.

Semi automated offside technology (SAOT)

This is different to using VAR for fouls and misconduct, offside is much easier to determine
It's only "easier" for cases of interfering with play. It doesn't detect interfering with an opponent or (I suspect) gaining an advantage.

So, apart from it violating one of the basic principles of VAR (that it's not there to make every decision possible, only those that fall into four specific, game-changing scenarios) you'd have a system deciding on only some offside offence and not others. Which would not be an acceptable situation, as far as I'm concerned.

I've said this before, there are two key principles with technology in any aspect of life, not just VAR ...

- It is only as good as the people programming it
- it will break down from time to time

If that wasn't the case, IT wouldn't be the biggest growing job sector as we'd all be out of work.

Seriously though, I think people are expecting too much of the semi-automated offside tech. The big issues today are the VAR officials can't accurately work out when the ball is played, and that affects the drawing of the line. The new system will take that away, but there's no way it can decide if a player stood in an offside position is active, interfering with an opponent, flat out on the floor, etc. Only a human can do that, and for this reason ARs will still have to keep the flag down unless they are 100% certain it was offside. Over time they might well get a robot prompt in their ear saying number 9 is offside, but they will still have to judge if that player was active.

Back