A&H

Champions League Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
he throws it in the air and kicks the ball, the ball travels 2ft and an attacker sticks his leg out and intercepts/blocks the ball and the attacker is penalised.

In that situation, I think you can make a really good case that the attacker is challenging the GK while he's in control. If the attacker is really only two feet away and the GK is in control until the moment he kicks the ball, it sounds to me like he's been challenged.

In this case, Benzema is a couple of yards from Karius and the GK decides to turn towards Benzema to throw the ball.

The Referee Store
You probably did & 99% of the time it’ll look unsporting & the ref will blow for it.

This one was different from the rest such a howler & first time I’ve ever seen it as clear cut & as bad as that, goal all day.

In that situation, I think you can make a really good case that the attacker is challenging the GK while he's in control. If the attacker is really only two feet away and the GK is in control until the moment he kicks the ball, it sounds to me like he's been challenged.

In this case, Benzema is a couple of yards from Karius and the GK decides to turn towards Benzema to throw the ball.

I agree, but I'm just going to post this clip here I just saw because it adds to the discussion. I think the decision for a foul/no foul on Benzema and the interpretation is a lot tougher or borderline than has been first suggested.

For me this is a goal. Now, had the goalkeeper tried to move anywhere else to punt the ball and Wilson followed him and did the same thing then we have an offense. But he didn't do that.

But how about Benzema intentionally stepping across the path of Karius whilst the ball is still in Karius's hands? The clip I posted from Twitter above shows Benzema "challenging" the goalkeeper whilst he is still in the process of releasing the ball i.e the ball is still in contact with the goalkeeper's hand when the attacker is making an intentional movement to block the ball? It looks fishy to me!

But how about Benzema intentionally stepping across the path of Karius whilst the ball is still in Karius's hands? The clip I posted from Twitter above shows Benzema "challenging" the goalkeeper whilst he is still in the process of releasing the ball i.e the ball is still in contact with the goalkeeper's hand when the attacker is making an intentional movement to block the ball? It looks fishy to me!

If Benzema was 12yrds away and the same happened as u described, would it still be fishy?

You can analyse every law in the book & interpret every incident how u like, at the end of the day the ref gets one look & on this occasion Karius has royally ballsed it up, I’m afraid u can look at it a thousand times it’s still a goal for me.

If Benzema was 12yrds away and the same happened as u described, would it still be fishy?

No, but that's why the distance is important as I believe it is the intention to challenge or block the ball whilst the keeper has it under control. I put it at two yards max, and when Karius is still touching the ball, Benzema is moving his leg to block the ball. It's definitely fishy for me. It might be a **** up by the goalkeeper but that doesn't mean it's right by law. That's why we are all here in these threads, to look back at decisions and come to the right conclusion with the benefit of time and replays so we can learn and hopefully apply it to our own games.

It goes to show though, the Wilson/Bournemouth that @bester posted was disallowed and the Benzema goal was allowed so there's definitely a difference in how this law is applied sometimes.

No, but that's why the distance is important as I believe it is the intention to challenge or block the ball whilst the keeper has it under control. I put it at two yards max, and when Karius is still touching the ball, Benzema is moving his leg to block the ball. It's definitely fishy for me. It might be a **** up by the goalkeeper but that doesn't mean it's right by law. That's why we are all here in these threads, to look back at decisions and come to the right conclusion with the benefit of time and replays so we can learn and hopefully apply it to our own games.

It goes to show though, the Wilson/Bournemouth that @bester posted was disallowed and the Benzema goal was allowed so there's definitely a difference in how this law is applied sometimes.

Did Benzema prevent Karius from releasing the ball? For me that is a big far no, and disallowing the goal here would have been ridiculous.

Did Benzema prevent Karius from releasing the ball? For me that is a big far no, and disallowing the goal here would have been ridiculous.

No he didn't.

But did he do the following? "During the time the goalkeeper has control of the ball and is preparing to release it into active play, an opponent may not stand or move so close as to restrict the direction or distance of the goalkeeper’s release."

For me, he's beginning his challenge/block when the GK still has control of the ball. Before the goalkeeper has released the ball, Benzema is intentionally moving across to him and sticks his leg out in anticipation of intercepting the throw (also factoring in the short distance).

"During the time the goalkeeper has control of the ball and is preparing to release it into active play, an opponent may not stand or move so close as to restrict the direction or distance of the goalkeeper’s release." Was Benzema "moving so close as to restrict the direction of the GK's release"? Depending on the exact interpretation of this, I think he could have been because he would have and did block the GK's path to release the ball in that direction. I think you need to look at when he begins the challenge or the intention to challenge and the distance.

Playing devils advocate here a little, but I stand by the fact that I think there is more to this and I've seen free-kicks given to the goalkeeper for a hell of a lot less than what Benzema did here on plenty of occasions. Anyway I'm off to bed. Good night (and I'll continue reading but not participating in this discussion because I've asked the questions I wanted to ask and said what I wanted to say or/and play the devil's advocate)

So the answer is.. there is no answer!

It’s all down to interpretation, As with many things in the lotg it’s not always black & white you could make a case for both sides of the argument.

U could argue the toss on both Benzema’s & Wilson’s, for me I’m allowing both.

Let me know when u get the definitive answer on this topic ;)

My god, both of the goals shown are goals. (Awful decision my Lee Mason)
you CANNOT challenge an opponent form 3 yards away...

Benzema goal was interesting, perfectly legal of course but Graham Poll said if it was kicked from the keeper then it woudnt have stood, Benzema was 2-3yrds away not sure on what grounds you would disallow that if it was kicked and not thrown?
That's a no goal for me - why is it legal? He's blocked the keeper's release. He's stuck his leg out as the keeper is releasing it - that's the definition of preventing the keeper from releasing the ball!

Unless attackers are now allowed to run across the front of the keeper and jump as they're releasing it? The release of the ball goes beyond the moment the ball leaves the hand - the keeper had no opportunity to return the ball to the field.

A player, 1-2 yards away, sticks his leg out to block the path of the ball. That isn't blocking it?

No he didn't.

But did he do the following? "During the time the goalkeeper has control of the ball and is preparing to release it into active play, an opponent may not stand or move so close as to restrict the direction or distance of the goalkeeper’s release."
)
Where are you getting that quote from?

Last edited:
Reactions: one
This was related to Karius’ appeal for a free kick. If Benzema stuck a foot in as he dropped it to kick its a free kick for preventing him releasing the ball. This was a case of the keeper throwing it against the attacker. Simply clarifying a point of law for viewers
Wouldn't you say this should be the other way around? For me they are both relaeses but for a goalkeeper it's more likely for it to be classified as release when done with the hand than a foot.

Back to the very recent point I made in two other threads. LOTG need a definition for relaese to make it clear for everyone. Untill then, the referee is right whichever way he interprets it.

And you can't use "what football expects" here because it looks line the expectation is split in the middle. For the record, I think it was a IFK to the keeper for preventing to release the ball.

Last edited:
I had to go and find a sports bar where I am in here in Villamartin... I think it paid great homage to referees too!! Keep up the good work lads!! :rolleyes:W0zg8LrSSsuIPGqlysQL4Q.jpg

Liverpool fan posting alert! My first reaction was goal. Karrius made a huge goalie woopsie and got punished. Every time I see it it is being thrown out to a player and intercepted by Benzema. Fair goal good decision poor goal keeping. And then the third goal ........ I will be surprised if he ever pulls on a Liverpool shirt again. 2 huge mistakes and a wonder goal. Well done Madrid from a sad Liverpool fan

100% goal for me, Division 4 Dog & Duck goalkeeping for this and particulally the other one! Why do GKs try and Parry shots these days, surely they know the current guidelines on picking the ball back up? :devil: Sadly, this one was in the back of his net!!karius-2.jpg

Can I add that, as much as the Liverpool gk wont be too popular round those parts for a while, if ever , had that been two huge referee errors and Real won by two goals, there would be match fixing allegations, bribe claims, Hillsborough Group would be demanding an inquest via an MP then a replay, bullets in post to referee, folk phoning the refs wife to say your husband has the heart of a toilet roll holder, and so on.....
Keeper makes mistake, few arms round shoulder and everything be ok
Ref makes mistake, hounded by pack of snarling wolves and fingers pointed in face, every swear word known to man and the biggest cheating barstewrd of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back