A&H

Champions League: Extra Officials

Matthew

RefChat Addict
No, this isn't what you're thinking....just a query regarding the role of the 5th/6th officials.

Last night in the City v. Juve game, there were two balls on the pitch as Joe Hart lined up to take a GK. One was being used, the other was on the opposite side of the box, about three yards directly in front of the extra official. Instead of sticking out a foot and pulling it back, he signalled to the ref, who wouldn't allow the game to restart until Hart had gone across the box and moved the ball of the field.

Is there a rule that officials cannot touch the ball? It just seems weird that he would stand looking at the extra ball rather than just sticking a leg out and getting the ball off the pitch. Just seems like a waste of time for the keeper to have to go across to remove the ball.

As a side note, I though the ref was excellent last night; let the game flow, kept the cards to a minimum and didn't fall for the theatrics from either team (*cough* Evra *cough* Yaya).

The Referee Store
"Assistant" to the referee and yet apparantly see absolutely nothing!

UEFA's extra officials are about as much use as chocolate fire guards! :confused:

Likewise, when you are an AR, you shouldn't be stopping the ball running away when it crosses the line - no different in my view.

Why not? That's the bit I'm struggling with to be honest.....
Because what happens if there's an incident on field when you are either trapping the ball or chasing it a short distance? You can't help the referee because you're not watching what's happening and should there be an appeal against any disciplinary measure, your reputation as "ball boy" will do you no good.

Assistant referees are there to assist the referee, not act as ball boy.

The amount of times I have seen these guys miss stonewall calls that happen no less than 10ft from them

ie blatant shoves at corners shirt pulling and corner calls that go the wrong way I sometimes wonder if they are required ?

Just an UEFA extravagance as far as I can see !

Because what happens if there's an incident on field when you are either trapping the ball or chasing it a short distance? You can't help the referee because you're not watching what's happening and should there be an appeal against any disciplinary measure, your reputation as "ball boy" will do you no good.

Assistant referees are there to assist the referee, not act as ball boy.
Totally agree, Brian.
Imagine the grief you'd get from a team if you retrieved a ball in the first half for one team and not the other? Specially, if they were chasing a game. Or vice versa if they were trying to waste time.
Just concentrate on your job in hand which, is to assist the middle.

The amount of times I have seen these guys miss stonewall calls that happen no less than 10ft from them. ie blatant shoves at corners shirt pulling and corner calls that go the wrong way I sometimes wonder if they are required ?
Just an UEFA extravagance as far as I can see !
Kompany's "challenge" against Juventus a prime example...

& again tonight, granted might be slightly biased as a Chelsea fan, but looked a stonewall spot kick late ignored with both the behind the goal assistant and line assistant having a clear view. Some would say ball to hand, but the ball travelled far enough for the defender to avoid it and definite movement of arm to ball to block the cross for me! :confused:

Also .....Walcott had a shot in the last minute 4th official looking straight at 10 yards away takes a little nick off the defender ....Goal Kick

No point whatsoever in them being there

I've seen the footage of Clattenberg helping Webb when he was behind the goal. Played the audio. Perhaps it's just like a L4 getting used to NARs. They have to learn the skill?

In the Arsenal - Olympiakos game the Own Goal was notified by the AAR. I recall somewhere reading that this was in fact their main duty now - Penalty area infringements were not their responsibility.

Back