A&H

Cautioning

echo24uk

Level 5 Referee
Just like to know if anyone else has tried this.

When issuing a yellow card I found that when you call the player over they don't seem to take much notice or won't shut up moaning about being called over

In my last game i produced the yellow card immediately and then asked for details, this had the effect that he just gave me he name and off he went.

The next player started to protest but when informing him he had been issued a yellow and unless he wanted another one to just give me his name he did.

Thoughts on this

The Referee Store
I don't necessarily mean quicker I still take my time taking all details but just found it lessens the amount of moaning from the player involved. And the usual turning away or walking off etc

Let them moan and complain, if they don't like it you have the cards and guess who is in charge. I find either way you get hassle but asserting authority and setting down your marker early players know what to expect.

I find that most of the players know that they are receiving a a Y/RC, i like to explain why I am giving it to them to help them understand what I've seen and if its to the captain as well to let the team know that's what I'm looking for.

You are the one in control not the players, take your time and don't flash cards at players or they will never learn the laws of the game (even if they think they know better than you)

I keep my yellow inside the notebook, which is in my top pocket. Calling a player over, the notebook comes out, and the card is slipped out and held in the same hand. Get his name, explain what the card is for, and then show it for everyone to see.

This way, I think, the player knows straight away what's gonna happen, if he starts getting gobby then I show the card earlier in the process.

The 'quick cards' you see on TV are fine in games where the officials are all miked up, and there are TV cameras on everything from every angle, and when the ref knows each player's name, but watching the G. Poll and Simonic triple YC, and listening to him interviewed afterwards, I am far more comfortable getting the book out, opening it and checking it BEFORE raising the card! Especially if you suspect you have already booked the player in question.

If it's an incident you need time to consider a bit longer, just walk a bit further from the incident, wait for the player to come to you, to buy a few extra seconds, and take your time getting the notebook out.

You've stopped the watch, you are in control, and everything should be done to your timetable.

I think there are some occasions that call for a quick yellow - if you have players from the fouled team approaching or appealing for a yellow, I find it much more effective to immediately show the yellow, rather than have to get rid of them before talking to the cautioned player. It also reduces the appearance of giving out a card as a result of a conversation with the opposing players. For these situations I have a "quick draw" yellow in my top pocket, but most of the time I'll use the yellow that's in my notebook.

I think there are some occasions that call for a quick yellow - if you have players from the fouled team approaching or appealing for a yellow, I find it much more effective to immediately show the yellow, rather than have to get rid of them before talking to the cautioned player. It also reduces the appearance of giving out a card as a result of a conversation with the opposing players. For these situations I have a "quick draw" yellow in my top pocket, but most of the time I'll use the yellow that's in my notebook.
Can't disagree, but the notebooks in hand, and the complaining players can see it.

I have seen in matches before, ranging from lower league (E.g. evo stik), up to the football league etc, that if the crowd think that a reckless challenge should actually be a red, and they are shouting "off, off...", then if the ref brings out a yellow card in his hand, then the crowd then stop chanting, maybe boo a little, but it calms the whole situation down.

Yesterday, I was at a League 1 match, and every time the referee cautioned someone, he had a yellow card separate, and brought out the yellow straight away. Then, once the player had gone away, he stood where the free kick was going to be taken, and got out a notebook, and wrote down what he needed to.

Notebook in left short pocket for me. with a yellow in the wallet and one in the right pocket and 2 red cards, one back right and other shirt left so I always know.

If it's an obvious yellow I will explain why I have cautioned a player, however usually if I send a player off I will get his name and show a red, then if he wants to find out why he or his manager can ask me after the game and I'll be more than happy to give him a reason. If there is a big bust up I will show him the red write down the number, then after the game ask if the name on the teamsheet is the correct one for the number.

I keep 3 yellows and 3 red on me: one of each in my notebook (right shorts pocket) which I will use for 90% of cautions, where I call the player over, take name and explain why they are being cautioned, another caution is a sending off, etc. I also keep a "quick fire" yellow in my left shorts pocket to calm the situation down when players start trying to persuade me to send a player off/the offender starts arguing (for example a few weeks ago, when a player went in accidentally with his elbow in the air). Red in the back for the same reason. And then a red and yellow in the shirt pocket together for second bookings, saves faffing around getting cards out of separate pockets.

Yesterday, I was at a League 1 match, and every time the referee cautioned someone, he had a yellow card separate, and brought out the yellow straight away. Then, once the player had gone away, he stood where the free kick was going to be taken, and got out a notebook, and wrote down what he needed to.

This is what I've always done. Works well for me.

I think if the Nike kit changes to two Velcro pockets ill change where I put my cards to having yellow middle right chest pocket with my book then red card middle left chest pocket

The problem with quick yellows is that you have to be sceetainn that you know the name of the player. The only time I'd issue a quick yellow is if I'm giving a second yellow, and so already have the player's name

Not sure if anyone else does this but I've stopped asking for names. I just issue the card and write down the number. I always have the team sheet prior to the game so can get the name from the sheet after.

Not sure if anyone else does this but I've stopped asking for names. I just issue the card and write down the number. I always have the team sheet prior to the game so can get the name from the sheet after.
Because I can only do youth games, I don't get team sheets so I have to ask the name. If they've got a dodgy surname then I'll confirm the spelling after the match which guarantees that the correct name has been given.

Last edited:
Reffy, you need to ask for the player's name. What would you do if you cautioned #7 in the first half and then #7 committed another offence worthy of a caution in the second half but it was a different player who had swapped shirts at half time? Also have you checked that the player named as #7 on the teamsheet is actually wearing #7 when the game kicks off.

It can cause you a lot of embarrassment if you get it wrong and dismiss someone in error

Reactions: SM

At our level there is no guarantee that the player written on the team sheet is the one wearing the shirt, have personally had a couple instances where I have asked for a number and it doesn't match.

Back