A&H

Cautioning for dissent- Correct Restart

Depend
What about this incident.....

In my game yesterday, the CAR gave offside which I blow up for. Tightish, but he is in line so happy with his call. From behind me a player from the other team shouts out to the CAR 'you fcuking cheat'.

While I can not be 100% who said it I have a fair idea. I asked him to repeat what he said and he claimed to have no idea what I was on about. Should I still send him off as I am 99.9% certain it was him or call the captain in to say that is not tolerated but can't card anyone as didn't see it. I did the latter

Thoughts?
Dependent on match temperature, If that sort of comment is made and you have a very good idea who it is (especially If he has earned your attention previously in the game) I was once advised to go with the red anyway. You know for certain which team it was, the team deserve the card, why not give it to them. The players reaction will soon let you know if you got the right player or not. Would I follow through with that? :D it sounds appealing... So maybe.

The Referee Store
In Wales CAR's are used for in and out only, I don't what procedure is in England with CAR's.

My county is slightly different. You are unofficially encouraged to let them help out (they don't decide, just provide you an opinion!). Some teams have dedicated and honest CARs. Others have gits.

In Wales CAR's are used for in and out only, I don't what procedure is in England with CAR's.

This is isn't the case, even on the Welsh FA website it says the use of club officials is up to the ref. I'll find where it says it and put the link up.

Going back to the OP I had this the weekend before last, red team conceded and claimed a defender had been fouled, I saw no foul so goal stood. RB was walking past me and I saw him in the corner of my eye and he clearly says "you ****ing dickhead" off he went for a nice early shower.

This is taken from the FAW's rules on referees found below

http://www.faw.org.uk/uploads/documents/originals/FAW_Referees2012.pdf

The following only applies for the FAW sanctioned competitions I.e. Welsh Cup or Welsh Football League:

23. The referee is to decide on what is required from the Club Assistant in terms of Ball In/Ball Out and Offside. The referee should decide on which side the club assistant should stand, but it is recommended that he takes his own forward line.

I guess that for county level games and below the county FA decide on what they want the ref to do. As Ben said, in Pembrokeshire they apply common sense and allow us to utilise the Club officials a bit more. The final decision should always be yours anyway and you should never rely on club officials wholeheartedly.

I've always used the CARs for offside. I normally give them a bit of a chat beforehand (unless I have used them myself previously) and always tell them that I will go with them for ball in/out of play in corners/throw-ins. Despite that, I don't always go with them if I believe I have seen/heard a deflection, but 99% of the time I will. I tell them what I expect regarding offsides but make them aware that their flagging for offside is nothing more than an indication to me. I tell them that I have to be completely happy and may not always go with their flag. If they see my hand come up and I don't blow, I may have been in a better position to judge it. I also tell them to make sure that their sides know to go with the whistle and not the flag. I have to say that I have never really had a problem with CARs and will always back them up if they get grief. Last week I had to tell a defender to leave my lino alone and he was that team's sub. As far as I am concerned, while they are holding my flag, they are on my team with regard to abuse.

What about this incident.....

In my game yesterday, the CAR gave offside which I blow up for. Tightish, but he is in line so happy with his call. From behind me a player from the other team shouts out to the CAR 'you fcuking cheat'.

While I can not be 100% who said it I have a fair idea. I asked him to repeat what he said and he claimed to have no idea what I was on about. Should I still send him off as I am 99.9% certain it was him or call the captain in to say that is not tolerated but can't card anyone as didn't see it. I did the latter

Thoughts?

Why not ask your ARs if they saw who said it? Just kidding, I see now it was CARs.

That could 3 different ways for me, had he of said it under his breath I would of said "excuse me" if it was quite loud and blatent, I would of cautioned him and had he of said it in a aggresive way and very loudly he would of been straight off!

Just one of those situations, where it's your own tolerance level.

This is isn't the case, even on the Welsh FA website it says the use of club officials is up to the ref. I'll find where it says it and put the link up.

Going back to the OP I had this the weekend before last, red team conceded and claimed a defender had been fouled, I saw no foul so goal stood. RB was walking past me and I saw him in the corner of my eye and he clearly says "you ****ing dickhead" off he went for a nice early shower.

This is taken from the FAW's rules on referees found below

http://www.faw.org.uk/uploads/documents/originals/FAW_Referees2012.pdf

The following only applies for the FAW sanctioned competitions I.e. Welsh Cup or Welsh Football League:

23. The referee is to decide on what is required from the Club Assistant in terms of Ball In/Ball Out and Offside. The referee should decide on which side the club assistant should stand, but it is recommended that he takes his own forward line.

I guess that for county level games and below the county FA decide on what they want the ref to do. As Ben said, in Pembrokeshire they apply common sense and allow us to utilise the Club officials a bit more. The final decision should always be yours anyway and you should never rely on club officials wholeheartedly.

Interesting that the club officials are encouraged to take his own forward line.
It always seems to be you line for your defence in England. I have never seen it as taking your own forwards.

I personally get them to do their defensive line as well, easier of the two to deal with contentious issues IMO.

Teams used to doing own defence don't like it either. Only tried to put them on their own forward line twice and both teams moaned for 90 minutes.

Back