A&H

Cautioning for dissent- Correct Restart

ref11

A player in my U14 game yesterday, as he was walking off said "that was a foul dick head". I cautioned him for dissent and because the ball was out of play for a throw in that was what I restarted with . If he said this while the ball was in play should I wait till the ball goes out of play or could I stop the match straight away? What would I restart with?

The Referee Store
Hi Edward, good question! You definitely made the correct decision in restarting with a throw in - if any infringement takes place while the ball is out of play the game is restarted in the same way it would have been had nothing happened (throw in, goal kick, corner etc.). As for your hypothetical I'd say you'd be well within your rights to stop the game and restart with an indirect free kick to the opposing team. Also, I'd say you were being lenient in only giving a yellow - what was said is offensive, insulting and abusive but it can sometimes depend on the manner of the game, dissent that has gone on before, the conduct of the players throughout the game etc. You got the decision right, though, and that's all that matters :)

I think sending someone off for that might be harsh. Generally for me, OFFINABUS has to be continued abuse for longer than a general instantaneous reaction. Everyone will react emotionally to a decision but it's once they should have gotten a grip (after that initial reaction) that it should be punished.

Sorry to disagree Ryan, but when has the term 'dickhead' been anything other than abusive or insulting.

I know of nobody that uses the word as a term of endearment.

If I'm in the middle........they are going for a walk.

'Dickhead' is used as a greeting by some people in Liverpool! But if it's on a football pitch, like in this situation, I would have done the same in cautioning him, and if he protested, would have sent him for an early shower.

Reactions: ELP
I'm not saying that it isn't foul or abusive, just saying that I don't think I'd bother sending anyone off for it -- especially if it was an immediate reaction to something that happened.

And therein lies the problem for teams as well as referees. This week you call someone a dickhead for hacking your legs away and get told off/carded/ignored, next week its an early bath. Teams complain about consistency but we have such different levels of tolerance that, as a profession, we can't be consistent.

it also comes down to your life experiences.
There are ALOT of police officers/staff who are referees
They deal with and hear this kinda swearing most days. Hence a stern warning is sometimes the way they deal with it
Whereas if you have a different job you might deal with it in a different way.

I guess it comes down to your outlook, as well: for me, I try my best to avoid sending players off the pitch and I never ask myself "can I send him off" but, instead, it is "must I send him off?" In the OP's case, it sounds like, while I'd be completely justified in doing so, it would not be necessary as this seems to me to be an issue of emotional outburst. I could be wrong and it is definitely a 'you had to be there' case.

With swearing for me if directed they go early shower it simple as that I'm sorry to say I hear referees not doing right thing because they only want one thing and that club marks people at high level of game are pressured so badly not to do right thing it annoys me at parks level it very hard for us level 6 7 8 9 and I would like all the politics to change so players can get the simple picture that dissent and swearing alike should not be aloud

I must say, that I would have sent the player off because it is insulting rather than unsporting behaviour. Foul and abusive language has no place in the game - especially at officials!

What about this incident.....

In my game yesterday, the CAR gave offside which I blow up for. Tightish, but he is in line so happy with his call. From behind me a player from the other team shouts out to the CAR 'you fcuking cheat'.

While I can not be 100% who said it I have a fair idea. I asked him to repeat what he said and he claimed to have no idea what I was on about. Should I still send him off as I am 99.9% certain it was him or call the captain in to say that is not tolerated but can't card anyone as didn't see it. I did the latter

Thoughts?

BES I would have handled the situation in exactly the same way although you have an idea of who it is you cannot be certain then no disciplinary action can be taken. A word with both captains would be appropriate mentioning that offensive insulting and abusive language will not be tolerated if the person responsible is identified.

If I hear a player say something under their breath, and I have an idea about what they've said, I'll ask "sorry, pardon?" or something similar. I've not had a player yet say anything to me with that, and I've never had a player say anything for the rest of the game towards me, so I try and take this approach as much as possible.

Back