A&H

Caution before kick off

The Referee Store
What happens after the match, outside the FOP?

I have a post-match ritual of going to a fast food restraunt and eating after my game.

So here's a scenario. I'm in KFC after a 'blood and guts' match, and in the oppinion of the losing home team, I had a bad game. I'm sat there, head down in my family bucket, and a group of the players approached me accusing me of "cheating". They start 'effing and blinding, calling me names etc. In this fictional scenario, could I send a red/yellow into County FA? Would I have to get my notebook out and show them the cards?

You can only show yellow/red cards on the field of play........I would contact my FA to see where i stood with this scenario....

Well, I was told that by my tutors at the ref course.... i thought it was common knowledge though

Where do you get that from?
It's in the LOTG.

"The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions from the moment the enters the field of play until he leaves the field of play after the final whistle."

Anything else is a misconduct report.

The law that's been quoted says nothing about where the referee can issue a caution, only when. You can issue a caution to or send off a substitute, and there's no requirement to do so from the field of play. And if misconduct occurred in the changing rooms at half time, you deal with it in the same way.

What happens after the match, outside the FOP?

I have a post-match ritual of going to a fast food restraunt and eating after my game.

So here's a scenario. I'm in KFC after a 'blood and guts' match, and in the oppinion of the losing home team, I had a bad game. I'm sat there, head down in my family bucket, and a group of the players approached me accusing me of "cheating". They start 'effing and blinding, calling me names etc. In this fictional scenario, could I send a red/yellow into County FA? Would I have to get my notebook out and show them the cards?
No cards just advise that a misconduct report would follow. You complete and submit a Misconduct report on WGS

To clarify an earlier comment ( @mikedn ), you would only show cards while on the field of play, not you can only show cards while on the field of play. The display of the card is a communication device and does not alter the impact of the action being taken if this is communicated clearly to the player involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Brian Hamilton agreed and I would add that there is no clearer way to communicate to a player that he has been cautioned (for example) than showing him a yellow card, on or off the FOP.

Scenario:

Half time as you walk back into your changing area inside the club house, away from everyone but team officials and players, a player clearly calls you a very naughty word and a cheat in the same sentence. Very clever of him.

Clearly for his efforts he is getting rewarded by a sending off for OFFINABUS but - card or no card?

"The referee has the authority to take disciplinary sanctions from the moment he enters the field of play until he leaves the field of play after the final whistle.".

No mention of cards having to be shown on the FOP.

"The referee has the power to show yellow or red cards during the half-time interval and after the match has finished as well as during extra time and kicks from the penalty mark, since the match remains under his jurisdiction at these times."

Scenario:

Half time as you walk back into your changing area inside the club house, away from everyone but team officials and players, a player clearly calls you a very naughty word and a cheat in the same sentence. Very clever of him.

Clearly for his efforts he is getting rewarded by a sending off for OFFINABUS but - card or no card?
According to an interpretation from FIFA, misconduct, sent off, but no card.

Specifically:
FIFA LotG Quiz said:
Can the referee show a yellow or red card to a player inside the tunnel during the half-time interval?
A: No, the referee must verbally inform the player and team officials of the disciplinary action.

Back