A&H

Carvajal Red Card

So it’s back to an age old question, what’s more of an advantage? The red and penalty or the potential mess of allowing play to continue and it not going in. Yes they can miss a penalty but the law says it’s a red card so a yellow is a bit of s Kop out for the same thing!

The Referee Store
But if it goes in, has the obvious goal scoring opportunity been denied?

This could go round in circles!

Hi everyone,

I was looking at the Carvajal Red Card from the El Clasico last night. Can I get some clarification:

- Carvajal gets sent off for handling the ball in the area denying an obvious goal
- The ball ends up in the back of the net during the sequence.

Why didn't the referee play advantage (ie. Give Barcelona the goal) and not send Carvajal off?

Shanti

So it’s back to an age old question, what’s more of an advantage? The red and penalty or the potential mess of allowing play to continue and it not going in. Yes they can miss a penalty but the law says it’s a red card so a yellow is a bit of s Kop out for the same thing!
Take your time on the whistle my friends

The passing of time might have affected my thoughts, but, am sure in the period just after the introduction of a red card for denying by use of hand, the instruction, or at least the directive that was delivered was that even if the advantage is played, a red card was to be shown, this however was short lived and amended to the ruling that we see today. Someone with a late 90s LOTG book might be able to clarify this.

As far as I'm aware the official position on this is as reflected in the 2004 FIFA Q&A which went as follows:
A player tries to prevent the ball entering the goal by deliberately handling it. The ball, however, enters the goal. What action does the referee take?
He awards the goal and cautions the player for unsporting behaviour.

To the best of my knowledge this answer has not been superseded or rescinded so for me it should still be considered a valid recommendation.

The passing of time might have affected my thoughts, but, am sure in the period just after the introduction of a red card for denying by use of hand, the instruction, or at least the directive that was delivered was that even if the advantage is played, a red card was to be shown, this however was short lived and amended to the ruling that we see today. Someone with a late 90s LOTG book might be able to clarify this.
Not according to the IFAB meeting minutes, as far as I can see on reading them. The original amendment in 1991 simply said that:

DOGSO-H 1991.jpg
No clear instructions were given as to what should happen if the player tried to deny a goal but failed, leading some to opine that the player could be red-carded whether a goal was scored or not. There was never any mention in subsequent IFAB meetings or any directive (that I can find) that a player should be sent off even if a goal was scored, it just wasn't specified one way or the other. The first time I have any record of the recommendation being for a yellow card if a goal is scored, dates from the 2004 Q&A though there may have been a directive earlier that I'm not aware of.

You have summed up what I was trying to say. It certainly happened on a top flight game at which I was AR. I dont think it was as long as 3 seasons till it became clear a yc was to be shown but yes, from what you typed makes sense, there was nothing clear about whether a red, yellow was specified to follow an attempt to handle the ball denying, which proved unsuccessful. Our referees, this one was FIFA listed, must have been under impression a red was the correct course of action,

Any difference if the ball was outside the box, lets say the Rooney 50 yarder and a defender does a worldy (just outside box) and the ball was going in!! Yellow???

Any difference if the ball was outside the box, lets say the Rooney 50 yarder and a defender does a worldy (just outside box) and the ball was going in!! Yellow???
I don't quite know what you mean by "worldy" in the context, but I assume you mean deliberately saving a long-range shot just outside the box?

Assuming that's correct: no, as this has nothing to do with the recent law change, so in/out of the box is as irrelevant as it always has been. If the ball's going in and is saved by a defender, you send him off, if he attempts a save and fails, you book him. The fact he chose to do it outside the box and therefore only give away a FK is just intelligent cheating!

I don't quite know what you mean by "worldy" in the context, but I assume you mean deliberately saving a long-range shot just outside the box?

Assuming that's correct: no, as this has nothing to do with the recent law change, so in/out of the box is as irrelevant as it always has been. If the ball's going in and is saved by a defender, you send him off, if he attempts a save and fails, you book him. The fact he chose to do it outside the box and therefore only give away a FK is just intelligent cheating!
I was just checking as the Law bit up the thread states 'In the Box', so I assumed that 'Out of the Box' had another result????

I was just checking as the Law bit up the thread states 'In the Box', so I assumed that 'Out of the Box' had another result????
It's referring to "the goalkeeper within his box" as a whole, so all that bit's doing is clarifying that it's still not an offence for the GK to use his hands in his PA.

It's referring to "the goalkeeper within his box" as a whole, so all that bit's doing is clarifying that it's still not an offence for the GK to use his hands in his PA.
No, it says 'a player, other than the goalkeeper'......:angel:

If I understand what you're referring to, I think the relevant part of the law you're looking for is:
Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

No, it says 'a player, other than the goalkeeper'......:angel:
You're inserting the end of a statement where there isn't one. It says "a player, other than the goalkeeper within his own penalty area" - which could also be rewritten as "an outfield player, or the goalkeeper outside his own penalty area". As I said before, all it's doing is trying to make it clear that this bit doesn't overrule the fact that a GK can use his hands in the area.

Back