A&H

Carvajal Red Card

ssha6451

Hi everyone,

I was looking at the Carvajal Red Card from the El Clasico last night. Can I get some clarification:

- Carvajal gets sent off for handling the ball in the area denying an obvious goal
- The ball ends up in the back of the net during the sequence.

Why didn't the referee play advantage (ie. Give Barcelona the goal) and not send Carvajal off?

Shanti

The Referee Store
Because he runs the risk of the ball not going in after playing advantage and that'll cause a whole new set of problems! I think it was carvajal himself who put the ball in the net!

Indeed, it looks like he tries to handball the first effort that hits the post as well

Watched the game live.

Didn't hear it at the time and did wonder myself at first why the ref didn't allow the goal to stand, but you can clearly hear the whistle in the time between the handball and the ball crossing the line. The amount of bodies in a relatively small space might also have been in the referee's thinking.

Ramos very lucky not to see yet another red. "Challenge" from behind, whacked Barcelona player in the side of the head and bucket loads of dissent throughout game.

Watched it, screamed at tv "play on". For me, he could have delayed and waited to see what happened next, he would have still been able to come back to the pen, Madrid would not have had an issue as it was going to be pk and red if it was not goal and yellow, Barca were getting a pk if not the goal, but, thats a dream/nightmare game to referee so can understand the reluctance to take any chance. Ref did get a lot of non handball shouts correct also. The one Bale was screaming over was just lunacy and desperation from Bale.

I think the Ramos type players ive encountered over the years have generally been a few pounds lighter after the game. Me and bully type didn’t mix and I had no problem in dispatching swift justice. They tried to intimidate players, it didn’t work on me!

I remember one in particular who did it in a game I watched from the side with an old boy ref. I got the rematch and he was booked, warned and subbed well before he became a problem for me or the manager.

Last edited:
I think with Ramos, esp when these two teams meet, me myself I would be thinking, right, I know I will get plenty chamces to caution him today, am I going to try manage him or just take the cards. This is where managment of the game as a whole differs from simply seeing a foul, seeing what looks like a card etc
As it is, we wake up today, Madrid lost, nobody is injured, as referee you are not on the back pages for binning Ramos, in fact, nobody will be talking about you at all, job well done.

Ah ok. I did not hear the whistle go straight after the handball. I thought the referee had seen the ball go into the back of the net and still called play back.

Hypothetically though, if a player handballs deliberately in the box and the ball ends up in the back of the net would it be the correct decision to bring the play back and send off the player or to allow the goal and limit it to a yellow card?

Goal and yellow
Which would have been an outstanding call here

Whilst factually both are correct, unless for some reason I wanted to dismiss the defender, goal and yellow would be better for the game spectacle in general

I honestly think the referee should have waited at least a bit longer to see what happened in the sequence. Like it was said earlier he could always have brought it back if the ball did not go in. This is the biggest game of the year in the La Liga, a red card like that just ruins everything.

It reminds me of the red card Lehmann got in the champions league final for Arsenal. The referee could have just played advantage after he brings Eto down, Barcelona would have still scored.

Yesterdays was more clear cut for me. One second. Ref was firm, direct and did the red like a robot. I like to think i would have delayed my whistle

Hardly a refs fault though to apply the law and send the player off, he hasn't spoiled the game, the player who deliberately handled on the line did!!

There is more to managing a HUGE game than simply painting by numbers.
Both conclusions, red card pk and yc goal are correct
Goal yc for me
I suspect a mature ref in his 10 th Classico would go goal yc

Who runs this game, the LOTG or the players wanting to take part even though they should be removed!! :flip:

But it is also in the Laws of the game to play advantage, that is what the rule is there for. Sure a red card and penalty is an option but the referee needs to think more about the entire situation. He could have allowed play to go on and if the ball did not end up in the back of the net in that sequence then bring it back for a penalty

Back