A&H

Carlos Corberan Sending Off

The Referee Store
I think this is where the laws should have some leeway as it was a clear error of judgement/mistake from the WBA manager (this is coming from a wolves fan!). But the LOTG make it clear that it has to be a RC. Don’t think there was space for discretion.

The bottom line is that he shouldn't have been there. If managers took any notice of that other white line, i.e. their technical area, this wouldn't happen. I said recently it was only a matter of time that a manager in England got into trouble for it, although I thought it would have been Arteta.

The answer is simple, PGMOL should tell the referees to enforce technical area restrictions. Step outside once and they get a warning, a second time is a caution and do it again and they get another and a red. It would sort it out within weeks.

The only reason anybody is even remotely annoyed about this is because it is such a rare occurrence. There can’t be any other punishment I’m afraid, a club official has interfered with active play.

If you allow referees to make allowances for times when a manager does something like this accidentally, then it’ll be an “accident” every time according to the offending party. It will just open a can of worms of “did he mean it or not” every time whereas now it’s an easy red, law supports it entirely, everyone moves on.
The answer is simple, PGMOL should tell the referees to enforce technical area restrictions. Step outside once and they get a warning, a second time is a caution and do it again and they get another and a red. It would sort it out within weeks.
It really does feel like fourth officials exist to get stepped on by managers and hold up a board every now and then. They could easily monitor this process and ensure proper punishments are dished out for leaving area offences. As with everything in this game, if player or team official is given an inch, a mile will be taken every time. This only happens because it hasn’t been squashed and it’s expected now.

Thank you.

Have now found the relevant bit under “Team Officials “ in Law 12 - missed it when I first went to the good book.

Thanks again

Next question:

What is the restart?

I’m thinking free kick (idfk, not dfk) from where the manager kicked the ball?

Same thing happened a game of mine earlier in the season. The incident had zero impact on the game and I was not being observed
I knew the Law but chose to Caution. Everyone considered that I was being pedantic by showing any card

Same thing happened a game of mine earlier in the season. The incident had zero impact on the game and I was not being observed
I knew the Law but chose to Caution. Everyone considered that I was being pedantic by showing any card
Would you say, given the profile this incident has now got on social media, you'd send off if met with the same situation earlier today?

Would you say, given the profile this incident has now got on social media, you'd send off if met with the same situation earlier today?
In my game, at that moment in time, given the exact nature of what happened and all of the circumstances involved, I chose a particular course of action. The same thing will never happen again because every decision is unique

In the West Brom game, I most definitely would have dismissed the manager

Next question:

What is the restart?

I’m thinking free kick (idfk, not dfk) from where the manager kicked the ball?

DFK Because it's a physical offence affecting active play.

There was an incident a few years ago where a sub was warming up behind the goal and he stopped the ball before it went out just to the side of the goal. He was sent off and a penalty kick awarded (hence the direct)

With regards to whether Sam could have used some discretion, this is a situation where, with the laws as they are written, any other decision could be seen as a major incorrect application of law.

I don't personally think it's a bad thing either. Managers should not be affecting play in any physical way at all. People saying 'it's a misjudgement'. Yes, it is, and so are many SFP challenges, but nobody would defend that in the same way. He's committed a red card offence, and was sent off for it.

With regards to whether Sam could have used some discretion, this is a situation where, with the laws as they are written, any other decision could be seen as a major incorrect application of law.

I don't personally think it's a bad thing either. Managers should not be affecting play in any physical way at all. People saying 'it's a misjudgement'. Yes, it is, and so are many SFP challenges, but nobody would defend that in the same way. He's committed a red card offence, and was sent off for it.
I recall that after my game, I said to the manager, 'he was lucky, because on reflection, I'd realized that I should have sent him off'
I had a hard time submitting the caution because there was no matching code on FullTime! Obviously

Anyway, you're quite right with everything you've said

Going forward, if only one person in attendance expects a red card (because they might now know the Law), there is zero wiggle room

Back