A&H

Cards and how to use them

Every league should have team sheets, but not every league is required to present them before k/o.

If you book someone and he/she decides to be clever and give a false name, and on looking at the team sheet at the end the name and number does not match up you must request the correct name from the club and remind them that it is in their interest to be honest, if they refuse, I write it all in your match report, it goes to the county and hey presto the club get punished heavily!

Regardless of you decision red or yellow I think you need time to think replay the incident in your head as you approach the player, because a yellow could be all he deserves, when you are about to show a red, which could be a harsh send off!

Remember some are straight reds and their is nothing that can be done, no matter how sorry you feel for the player.

For example I watched a game as mine was cancelled, two foot challenge, off he goes, but its how he went that did it for me, he knew what he had done, because he bunched the pitch, people were giving him unnecessary crap!
I could hear the conversation with the ref, as it was only a few meters away, and it went!

Ref ref I am sorry I don't know why I did it, when I realised both feet were there it was to late, please don't send me off it was just a moment of madness, I'm sorry I really am. ( but you could see and feel this guys remorse ) and the opposition calling him a disgrace to the game etc!
The referee replied, I accept you apology, and we both know what happened there, and you know I can not give you anything less than a red, I wish I could, as I can see you did not intend to go in with 2 feet but you did.
A red card was show the player respectfully shuck the refs hand? I could not believe that, but he did.

I seen the referee at work, (we are both in the navy) I said that was weird, he agreed I asked if he wrote all of that conversation in his report, as he is level 4 and I am still learning and he did.

He said if the player was f'ing and blinding he would write all of that in to give the player a hopefully hefty fine, but as he showed remorse, and respect for the laws and my decision, I would like to think the board would be more lenient.

The Referee Store
You should already have replayed the decision in your head by the time you blew the whistle and called the player over. What I'm saying is that as you gain experience, your decision-making will become quicker and there will be absolutely no reason to keep the player surprised about what you're going to do.

A few of the leagues i operate on don't have team sheets. It's with great difficulty that i get some players names and it wastes time but at the same time it gives you a chance to stamp your authority further.

when we did our course we were given double sided match report cards which i have found brilliant. before the game i write the full names of all the players (to save time if i need to caution/send off a player) and put the wallet in my left shorts pocket. i have a yellow card in my right pocket and a red in the back pocket.
i also keep another yellow and red in the top pocket to save faffing about when i need to show a player their second yellow and send them off

here are the match cards i use btw, i would definitely recommend them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Football-Soccer-Referee-Match-Report-Sheet-Score-Card-x50-/190794950629?

when we did our course we were given double sided match report cards which i have found brilliant. before the game i write the full names of all the players (to save time if i need to caution/send off a player) and put the wallet in my left shorts pocket. i have a yellow card in my right pocket and a red in the back pocket.
i also keep another yellow and red in the top pocket to save faffing about when i need to show a player their second yellow and send them off

here are the match cards i use btw, i would definitely recommend them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Football-Soccer-Referee-Match-Report-Sheet-Score-Card-x50-/190794950629?

Hi James,

What are they like when it rains?
Also do you use pen or pencil to write on them?

I haven't used them in heavy rain yet but they seem to be fine. I normally use a biro, with a spare pencil in my pocket in case the pen runs out. No problems so far, but like I say I am yet to use them in anything more than light rain.

I'm quite new to refereeing, but personally I like to have my notebook with both yellow and red cards in, and I keep my notebook in my shirt pocket. I then have a second yellow card in my right-hand side of my shorts with my red card in my back pocket so when I referee youth football they tend to see both cards when I write down there name and they normally keep there gobs shut seeing the cards .. Then when I put my notebook back in my pocket they think they have got away with it until I reach for one of my short pockets which gets them worried again if I haven't already said I'm cautioning or dismissing them! It's the guessing game again...

I have 6 cards- 3 yellow and 3 red.

I have 1 set in the notebook in my shirt pocket, just incase I need to use them, the only time I may do so is if the game needs to be slowed down a lot. I have a yellow write on card in my left pocket, which I use for all bookings, and the same for the red, in my 'R'ight pocket. I make sure ref goes in right because they sound similar and you can't get mixed up. Also, all the leagues I do I get team sheets, so I can just write down number and offence on the card.

Lastly, in my back pocket, I have both a yellow and red. This is for when I need to give a second yellow and them a red. It tends to look tidier when you can bring out both cards at the same time.

Back