A&H

Card Count

You're not making it easy for yourself to tick many AOL boxes with those averages ... #musttryharder ;) ... Bet the clubs love you though :)

A paltry 12 Supply League middles for me this marking season ... 34 Yellows (70% for C1) and 2 Reds (Double Yellow and DOGSO)

Excuse my ignorance. AOL?

The Referee Store
I've had 5 games so far, 0 yellows, 0 reds... majority have been U13's games.

Have an U15s and two U14s games Sunday, almost hoping someone actually does something that's worth a yellow just so I know I'm not being too soft:facepalm:

You're not making it easy for yourself to tick many AOL boxes with those averages ... #musttryharder ;) ... Bet the clubs love you though :)

A paltry 12 Supply League middles for me this marking season ... 34 Yellows (70% for C1) and 2 Reds (Double Yellow and DOGSO)
It could just be that the players are QUICK to FEAR @Alex Rush-Fear

It's an unwanted (but not unexpected) situation whereby card count is relevant for promotion. Pity for those referees with a low count (who may have good match control) who subliminally feel pressured to dish out cards to get their numbers up

To be fair I've been including some Sunday and Youth games where not a lot happens...
This is how it looks if I take those out!

18/19 - 13 middles, 31 yellows, 6 reds
17/18 - 22 middles, 55 yellows, 7 reds
16/17 - 23 middles, 45 yellows, 1 red

15/16 - 19 middles, 30 yellows, 2 reds
14/15 - 18 middles, 36 yellows, 6 reds
13/14 - 14 middles, 19 yellows, 3 reds

It's an unwanted (but not unexpected) situation whereby card count is relevant for promotion. Pity for those referees with a low count (who may have good match control) who subliminally feel pressured to dish out cards to get their numbers up

In what way is it relevant? Is there a minimum? How odd

Does a card count really matter... really, losing control can mean a card fest = bad refereeing, but, by not dishing cards out sometimes = bad refereeing.. thus admitting you've dished surplus cards out or hardly any actually proves nothing??? You can only ref what's in front of you!!!

Not so.... so long as AOL is good. Its when you manage cautions where you'll get stitched up in AOL.
Yes, cautions are an opportunity to display AOL having a large number in a game can give you access to the higher marks but this is because more cards indicates a more challenging game, in most cases

Does a card count really matter... really, losing control can mean a card fest = bad refereeing, but, by not dishing cards out sometimes = bad refereeing.. thus admitting you've dished surplus cards out or hardly any actually proves nothing??? You can only ref what's in front of you!!!

But in some cases I've seen observers say things like not a lot to go on with disciplinary as nothing out there to let me judge you on. Can't judge on card procedure if no cards were given.
That type of thing.
This could then lead to a basic mark because they couldn't do anything else.

But in some cases I've seen observers say things like not a lot to go on with disciplinary as nothing out there to let me judge you on. Can't judge on card procedure if no cards were given.
That type of thing.
This could then lead to a basic mark because they couldn't do anything else.
They make it up as they go along just to justify their fee! Their aren’t two alike watching the same game, it’s so silly it’s laughable what some of them pick candidates up in!

They make it up as they go along just to justify their fee! Their aren’t two alike watching the same game, it’s so silly it’s laughable what some of them pick candidates up in!
Some of that is that there is an expectation for their to be at least one devlopment point.
We know that you have an axe to grind against the system but you offer no solutions to fix it. There basically is no other way, presently.
Like in any proffession, you'll come across people doing the same job with some doing it better than others. However, it should at least even itself out over the course of a season between good ane bad observations.

As James says, that's just life though. 2 different refs will show different traits in 2 different games, so its only natural same goes for the observers.
The basic or, kmi reading should be on the same page, but of course there will be differences, the reports though allow the co-ordinator though to paint a picture of the referee in question though, 8 reports all saying "far too central needs to get wider" tells its own story, whereas 7 saying "very fit" and 1 saying "needs to work on fitness", you can bin that one and focus on the other 7
Same as in the workplace, take say a call quality monitor, the structure of the evaluation will all be similar but someone will say, "spoke a bit to fast" and "not as clear as could be" and so on......you wont get 2 monitors producing the exact same assessment, thats not inconsistencies, its simply life.

even your 2 taxi drivers driving the same car and employed by the same company wont get you their in exact same mph with the same radio station on :(

As a referee, am a low issuer of cards, and I like observing a game where cards are at a minimum, that said, the two best displays I observed last season had very high (double figure) card counts.

Some of that is that there is an expectation for their to be at least one devlopment point.
We know that you have an axe to grind against the system but you offer no solutions to fix it. There basically is no other way, presently.
Like in any proffession, you'll come across people doing the same job with some doing it better than others. However, it should at least even itself out over the course of a season between good ane bad observations.
1, Remove Club marks, that's a p1**take....
2, Stop hiding young wannabe starlets in easier games.
3, Impose a levy on the cesspit of PL money in paying referees, assessors etc a decent screw and not make it almost a voluntary 'job', lets get the best not just the gullible and available!!!

My last experience of an observer (i was AR) was terrible. Frankly, it was embarrassing for him and distressing for the referee. Some of the things he saw (which simply didn't happen like keeper having control of the ball when he was a couple of feet away from it and never got anywhere near it. No appeals from the keeper or the defence, just a goal with no controversy and the post match briefing was mainly about what a mess the ref had made of a situation which didn't exist!). The ref was in tears as he had been given a poor mark for what to me seemed like a good performance. The senior AR had officiated at football league level many years previous and he was dismayed too. He made a point to me about not flagging for an offside and what a huge mistake id made. I explained that there was a player injured 20 yards back and that's why I didn't flag (nonappeals from the players obviously too). He wouldn't have it afterwards though so I just said nothing and listened to the nonsense. The observer must've been 80 and was sat behind the goal for some of the game on a deck chair.

The other experience I had was fantastic though. Some invaluable tips about movement and communication with the ref. Emphasised the positives (said I was very confident for someone on the 3rd game as AR and my offsides were all spot on) but told me where I was going wrong and importantly, what to work on next time.

My last experience of an observer (i was AR) was terrible. Frankly, it was embarrassing for him and distressing for the referee. Some of the things he saw (which simply didn't happen like keeper having control of the ball when he was a couple of feet away from it and never got anywhere near it. No appeals from the keeper or the defence, just a goal with no controversy and the post match briefing was mainly about what a mess the ref had made of a situation which didn't exist!). The ref was in tears as he had been given a poor mark for what to me seemed like a good performance. The senior AR had officiated at football league level many years previous and he was dismayed too. He made a point to me about not flagging for an offside and what a huge mistake id made. I explained that there was a player injured 20 yards back and that's why I didn't flag (nonappeals from the players obviously too). He wouldn't have it afterwards though so I just said nothing and listened to the nonsense. The observer must've been 80 and was sat behind the goal for some of the game on a deck chair.

The other experience I had was fantastic though. Some invaluable tips about movement and communication with the ref. Emphasised the positives (said I was very confident for someone on the 3rd game as AR and my offsides were all spot on) but told me where I was going wrong and importantly, what to work on next time.
...and so there you are.... point proved!!

He made a point to me about not flagging for an offside and what a huge mistake id made. I explained that there was a player injured 20 yards back and that's why I didn't flag (nonappeals from the players obviously too).
Not picking, just curious :) was player in Offside position and did he commit an offence? If so why would an injured player 20 yards away be reason to not flag an offside offence?
Did the guy do this in front of the observer? If so, not the right way to approach it really. It would have been much nicer had he approached it informally, given his experience, and all.

Back