A&H

CAR dropped me right in it

Cup match. Assistant referee flags a free kick to defence indicating a pull. Striker has a go but all the rest of the players ran upfield. Assistant moves towards the benches and says to striker. it was your free kick I just gave it the wrong way. I heard it, striker heard, both benches heard. Queue minor chaos. Started play quickly to get everyone back but Assistant lost all credibility. Last 20 minutes was tough

The Referee Store
Cup match. Assistant referee flags a free kick to defence indicating a pull. Striker has a go but all the rest of the players ran upfield. Assistant moves towards the benches and says to striker. it was your free kick I just gave it the wrong way. I heard it, striker heard, both benches heard. Queue minor chaos. Started play quickly to get everyone back but Assistant lost all credibility. Last 20 minutes was tough
NAR or CAR? And did you change the restart?

NAR and didn't change the restart because of match control. All players had made their way up the field. No point in bringing everyone down so the defence can have a go at the assistant. Plus I told them get on with it. No issues on the field but the benches were not happy. This was one of a number of errors he made that night. I did speak to him afterwards about that and other incidents to help his development, although he was a referee of 15 and 'knew best'

So, everybody heard the NAR say the decision was supposed to go the other way, and you still didn't change it?

Given you said there was minor chaos, the AR lost all credibility, and the last 20min were tough, how do you think that 'wrong decision for match control' worked? ;-)

It's easy to say why it worked. Not everyone heard, only me the players and the benches. The Assistant had made two glaring errors previously which I overruled. He did not say anything to the striker until he was up near the benches and the kick was about to be taken. To have over turned the decision (when only the striker complained originally) and give a free kick to the attackers in a dangerous position would have resulted in a serious loss of control. IMO he only said that to attacker to appease him, not realising the benches heard. He confirmed later he got confused, so I would still go with my original decision. It worked by the way.

What age group was this? Didn't think you could be an assistant at open age until you were 16.

Back