A&H

Can somebody explain offside please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offside position is explicitly defined as "any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponent's goal line than [...] the second last opponent".

"Nearer" is the important word here. If 2 defenders and an attacker have all gone tumbling off the end of a pitch together than the law you quoted in your first post specifies that we consider them all to be exactly on the goal line. So it's therefore impossible for any of them to be nearer the goal line than any other player, because they're all effectively in exactly the same place - so the attacker cannot possibly be in an offside position.
So in this case no attackers can be penalised for offside? Or only the one considered on the goal line and who gains the advantage?

The Referee Store
So in this case no attackers can be penalised for offside? Or only the one considered on the goal line and who gains the advantage?
Assuming the ball is played while all 3 are still off the pitch then yes, it would be impossible for there to be an offside.

1 ) If he leaves FOP at the touchline. It's basically saying that if a player leaves FOP to make an attacker offside they are still considered on fop ie on the nearest touchline/goal line.
Made minor technical correction. Not explicit in law but implied by how offside position is defined. Not so important for goal line but it is for touchline.

This might help as a visual demonstration of the defender off the field being counted for offside purposes.

Thank you.

I have mentioned the video, how can the player be offside then ? Or as soon as he is back he is not considered on the goal line.???

Link:

If I'm reading that Dutch link correctly.

If a defender leaves the field, accidentally, he's counted as on the line, no YC
If a defender leaves the field, on purpose, he's counted as on the line, and he gets a YC.

And the case for the attackers? (in simple terms for a gumby like me)

In the video entitled "Offside?" I see two offside offences. Firstly, at 14 seconds, Blue 11 when the ball is passed out wide to him and he plays the ball. Secondly, at 22 seconds, Blue 24 challenges for the ball having been in an offside position when the shot was taken

I think common sense dictates that if a player is off the FOP temporarily as part of 'normal play', that player is still involved in active play.
In the clip involving Blind, it would be unfair on the attacking team if 'Blind suddenly became transparent' in terms of offside

When a player leaves the FOP without the R's permission, that player could rightly play everyone onside from halfway on the touchline by being considered to be on the goal line. Although, we'll never see it cos even VAR would probably shirk duty in that scenario

In the video entitled "Offside?" I see two offside offences. Firstly, at 14 seconds, Blue 11 when the ball is passed out wide to him and he plays the ball. Secondly, at 22 seconds, Blue 24 challenges for the ball having been in an offside position when the shot was taken
I’m talking about 22 seconds one-

A defending player who leaves the field of play without the referee’s permission shall be considered to be on the goal line or touchline for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play or until the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area. If the player left the field of play deliberately, the player must be cautioned when the ball is next out of play. - The defender left the fop, considered on the goal line, so the GK is the second last defender )

I’m talking about 22 seconds one-

A defending player who leaves the field of play without the referee’s permission shall be considered to be on the goal line or touchline for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play or until the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area. If the player left the field of play deliberately, the player must be cautioned when the ball is next out of play. - The defender left the fop, considered on the goal line, so the GK is the second last defender )
No, again you're massively overcomplicating this. When he's off the pitch, consider him on the goal line - when he's back on the pitch, follow his actual real position.

No, again you're massively overcomplicating this. When he's off the pitch, consider him on the goal line - when he's back on the pitch, follow his actual real position.
I think you are right, but is it me who is overcomplicating is it not clear enough?

What if attacker would do the same, and came back on the pitch , would he be considered on the goal line?

I think you are right, but is it me who is overcomplicating is it not clear enough?

What if attacker would do the same, and came back on the pitch , would he be considered on the goal line?
Based on our conversation so far, what do you think the answer is to that question?

Reactions: es1
Based on our conversation so far, what do you think the answer is to that question?
An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play. If the player re-enters from the goal line and becomes involved in play before the next stoppage in play or the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area, the player shall be considered to be positioned on the goal line for the purposes of offside. - it says re-enters - which means he is considered to be on the goal line …

OK, but you're attributing a position he has taken at some point in the past and trying to apply it to all future actions. Offside cares about where the players are at the moment the ball is played. The clause you're fixating on can only apply to an attacker if the ball is played towards him while he is off the pitch and he then comes back on in order to become active.

At no point in the video you posted is a player off the FOP at the point a ball is played forward - which suggests you are still fundamentally misunderstanding the way offside works and trying to apply offside law across multiple different points in time. You're asking complicated questions without the required understanding of the basics of timing and positioning for offside. Because if you had that understanding, you'd see that the clip you posted isn't relevant to this discussion.

An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play. If the player re-enters from the goal line and becomes involved in play before the next stoppage in play or the defending team has played the ball towards the halfway line and it is outside its penalty area, the player shall be considered to be positioned on the goal line for the purposes of offside. - it says re-enters - which means he is considered to be on the goal line …
I suggest that if you are in England you should have a chat with your Referee Developer (Tutor/Training Officer) or someone in your local Referees' Association branch, as simple issues become complicated in an online forum.
A lot of people on here have tried to help, and it's good that you are asking when unsure, but sadly you haven't understood the good advice you have been given about a simple section of law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back