A&H

Open Age Calling players over

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Hello all,

Had a good cup game on Sunday, two teams from different divisions - the Home team, who played some excellent stuff won the game 2-0 despite them being from the lower division. The Away team were a bit gobby, as was their manager, and there were a few meaty tackles but nothing too big.

Away team had been committing the vast majority of the fouls all game, mostly due to Home moving it around so well, so there was definitely some frustration building. As the game was nearing the end and a few fouls were being committed, I tried to draw out some of the FKs - something I picked up from around these parts - in order to let the game relax a little bit, which nicely had the desired effect.

Anyway, Away team midfielder who'd been quite gobby throughout and had been committing a fair number of fouls - though again nothing huge - was getting frustrated and about 10 minutes from time he starts getting more vocal after I award a Home FK. He starts saying out loud 'don't know how you're qualified', 'do they let anyone qualify these days' blah, blah.

At the stoppage, I ask him to come over for a chat - I wasn't planning to caution him at this point, more just to have a firm word and to say that there's not much longer left let's just get on with it etc. - at the point of me asking, he starts going off saying he's not coming over, saying I've 'ruined the game already', starts swearing out loud, though not at me, at this point his team mates are telling him to shut up.

I ask him to come overagain, quite firmly, though we reach a bit of an impasse for a few seconds where he's stood saying he's not 'f-ing coming over' etc. At this point I'm going to caution him, and after a few seconds I go over to him, book him, at which point he continues until I warn him about getting a red.

On reflection, I feel like I could have been stronger/firmer since I was the once who eventually went over. I did think I could've cautioned him from where I was but I needed to take his name and all that stuff.

Any tips on how to deal with this kind of thing in the future?

Thanks,

D

The Referee Store
If you were just going to have a word, then you could be a bit conciliatory and approach the player while also asking him to come towards you - this is often the best way to keep players on side, and keeps it all friendly. You don't need to back away 20 yards unless you really need to isolate the player such as for cautions.

If the player still makes no effort, get on the whistle - a proper big blow to indicate you are annoyed. Stand your ground, or possibly find a nice space and give it one final "player, come here please" with a nice hand gesture (iykwim). After this he is getting a caution anyway, so get the captain's attention and get him to help you.

Ultimately, the message to the player is that he's acted/talked himself into a yellow, if he doesn't come to you he gets a second. Give no more than 10 seconds between the first and last warnings.

Sounds like you might of considered getting the captain to help you out earlier. If you have someone committing lots of small annoying fouls then a yellow for persistent should do the trick.

My line If I am not cautionin is " come over her I want a private word without eavesdroppers". If that doest work it's a Caution.

I've been given two different pieces of advice from Observers this season. One recommended the 'Clattenburg Call' where you firmly beckon the player to come to you in a forceful way. The other suggested more the 'Atkinson Approach' where you motion to the player to meet you at a neutral point part way between you. At the end of the day I guess it comes down to personal preference but once he's chosen to blatantly disregard you then you're definitely in Dissent by Action territory.

If you aren't intending to caution then make it clear either by saying loudly "just a word", or by using the hand over mouth duck quacking motion. If they are stupid enough to not come over after that then you have sold the inevitable caution that will follow perfectly.

I tend to add pleases and thank yous - simple manners mean you can't be accused of rudeness or arrogance. Players don't always reciprocate but I won't sink to their level in the hope that they may!!

I've been ,two different pieces of advice from Observers this season. One recommended the 'Clattenburg Call' where you firmly beckon the player to come to you in a forceful way. The other suggested more the 'Atkinson Approach' where you motion to the player to meet you at a neutral point part way between you. At the end of the day I guess it comes down to personal preference but once he's chosen to blatantly disregard you then you're definitely in Dissent by Action territory.
In general, I'm more a fan of the 'Atkinson Approach'. Calling a player directly you always runs the risk that he/she won't come and the situation will escalate. As per Paul March, a little bit of manners can work well too - often catches players off guard.

As a quick aside, the original comments should have had you going straight for the caution anyway.
I will stand in an area I think I can see everyone and it's "yes please red 6!", if no responce he will get as loud a whistle blast as I can do and the same repeated command. I then will loudly declare that my only choice will be a second caution if he doesn't comply.
Never had to do it in 10 years (but was willing to do so every time)
I'm not going to babysit players that behave like toddlers

If you aren't intending to caution then make it clear either by saying loudly "just a word", or by using the hand over mouth duck quacking motion. If they are stupid enough to not come over after that then you have sold the inevitable caution that will follow perfectly.

This is what I do. The initial reaction from most players when being called over is that they think they are going to be cautioned (and therefore may react negatively). If it's just a chat, TELL THEM (and of course others nearby will hear) so it helps keep things calm.

Along similar lines, if a player has wiped someone out and it is CLEARLY a caution to everyone, it will help calm things down if you say that too: "Yes, it's clearly a caution, go away!" to get rid of opposition players who are trying to stick their oar in.

The end result in both cases is that the whole process will look a lot tidier, and therefore your match control is solidified.

You know what if you are going to caution or dismiss the player they don't. Been told before to say 'Come here please'...... nothing...... come here please....... nothing..... come here or it is going to get worse for you. They may think that you were already going to give a yellow so it may be a red, then they'll come.... If not then yellow and go over to them. If they don't co-operate still, second yellow and bye-bye. Any decent captain will be over with you by that point anyway. Use your whistle if you need to. And your voice. If I can, I like to make sure the coaches can hear so they can back you up.

as the lads have said, first nice and polite, red8 over here ta, no response hit the whistle, but by then ou should be thinking of a caution, remember you start and stop the game with your whistle, dont get into a panic

In the situation mentioned with the intentions you had, I personally would deal with it in the following way:

Nice and relaxed, making the talking gesture with your hand 'Come across please Red 6 - just a chat. Thanks'

At that point if he's being a jerk off as he was, the voice becomes louder and sterner: 'Red 6, that chat has now become a caution. Come over please before it becomes two and a red.' You've spelt out the actions that have given you that outcome and the outcome should he continue for all to see.

No problems following that through if he's not interested.

For the record though: Anybody openly questions your ability, qualifications or competence it's a nailed on yellow every game, every day of the week and every minute of every game. The easiest ones you'll get.

In fact reminds me of an unusual situation last week. Player goes in for a reckless tackle in the centre circle, nailed on caution.

'Yes please Yellow 8'. A further whistle blow and warning and he comes over trying to convince me otherwise. As I start to explain why he was to be cautioned be bends down to mess with his socks.

'Stand up please', and he does. I finish explaining the nature of the offence and ask his name. 'Ben' he whispers and jogs off.

Que massive blow on the whistle, 'YELLOW 8 COME BACK BEFORE THIS GETS A LOT WORSE'

He comes back somewhat angry 'I told you my name?!'
'No you didn't, you whispered your first name and that was it. Full name please, I'll tell you when we're finished and let you back in'

He gave it and spent the ten minutes before half time chasing me around the pitch telling me he was unhappy how I had apparently belittled him before his mates.

Most bizarre. I had to take time at a stoppage to explain if he hadn't tried to be clever in the first place I would have had no need to call him back at all

Can I ask given you said he was gobby throughout and also committed a number of fouls, why wasn't he cautioned before? Maybe, if you had hit him sooner then his attitude wouldn't have stunk so much and you may well have been able to threaten the red for the chat? Strong verbal command with gesture, then whistle and verbal command if still not cooperating then walk to him with the cards out and bye bye!

Although, you could say "you are currently only getting a yellow, don't make me change the colour of the card!" usually works as the team mates or manager intervene, yellow for persistent and second yellow for dissent. Minimum for this guy would be a yellow for dissent otherwise he will think he can get away with it.

Had one tonight, player gives penalty away that only he complains about. Pushes the wrong buttons so his name is taken, but before I can show a card he keeps on going. Warned him 4 or 5 times that he was risking turning it red, but he just kept going on.

Yellow up
Yellow down
Yellow up
Yellow down
Red up, off you trot ...

You just can't help some players.

Had one tonight, player gives penalty away that only he complains about. Pushes the wrong buttons so his name is taken, but before I can show a card he keeps on going. Warned him 4 or 5 times that he was risking turning it red, but he just kept going on.

Yellow up
Yellow down
Yellow up
Yellow down
Red up, off you trot ...

You just can't help some players.
Some people never learn no matter how much you try to help them lol

Back