A&H

Calling An Opponent "Big Nose!!"

This thread would not have been complete without a Shef meme :)

Anyway I hear LOTG being amended to included the specific "big nose" phrase and a silhouette guideline (inline with the new handball guideline). Anyone with a nose this big or bigger is allowed to be called big nose but to balance it out, their nose is not considered for offside.

e963e933f2ba30c7bd2505ec4d6eb17c--soccer-football.jpg

The Referee Store
I remember some of the sledging in cricket back in the day, some were classically funny.....

Quote........Eddo Brandes v Glenn McGrath.......After Zimbabwean Brandes played and missed a Glenn McGrath delivery, the towering Aussie quick enquired: “Oi, Brandes, why are you so fat?”
The immediacy of Brandes' reply had Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke in stitches in the slips: “Beause every time I sleep with your wife, she gives me a biscuit”.

Maybe its best that we leave them to get on with a bit of gentle banter!!!

That's actually quite a pertinent question and the one which had that voice inside my head telling me to consider OFFINABUS.

Fact is, the gentleman in question didn't appear to me to have a projecting nasal appendage and so I determined that the "insult" would have been no worse or different to somebody calling him "Fatso" or "Baldy" or suchlike.

I'm glad you all seem to think I made the right call. I think the same way as @Chrisp72 does on this occasion in that had the player or indeed his team mates reacted in protest in any way then I'd have been left with little choice but to opt for red. This is yet another example of player reaction/non reaction helping to sell or influence a decision for a referee, although some would criticise me for it.

I was just curious if any of my fellows would have gone for red that's all. :)

Be careful with that. Approaches like this are inviting teams to throw hissy fits just to get players sent off. It encourages some of the toxic culture in this game.

I mean, yes, there is some scope for considering the reaction, but I'm not entirely comfortable with escalating to a red card just because the other team asked for it.

And in all honesty, I simply can't fathom a red card for this sort of comment no matter the reaction.

I think a caution is appropriate - mainly because it's an attempt to inflame at an already tense moment of the game. A warning could also suffice.

There are also those who consider a man who has a big nose also has a big...... toe ;)

Just saying

The context of OP sound like totally unnecessary banter and a caution or public stern talking to (depending on the temp of the game) sounds perfect to me.

The other day you were considering racist comments causing offence the result of somebody being a ‘snowflake’, but this you consider? I’ve no idea where your line is

Don't confuse the content of that thread with this one. They're not similar in any way.

And don't worry about where my "line" is mate. Let's just say it's probably right of yours (and your other snowflakes). ;) :D

Back