A&H

Calling An Opponent "Big Nose!!"

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Happened to me in an OA match this weekend.

12 mins to go and, having just dismissed A3 for a Kung Fu challenge on H7, as I'm watching him walk across the field to the changing rooms before restarting play with the DFK one of the home teams shouts "See you later Big Nose!" There were no howls of protest from anybody but the dismissed player did turn back to look at where the "insult" had come from before carrying on his walk of shame.

I blew my whistle and beckoned H5 over to me and cautioned him for USB because it seemed about right at that moment, but in the back of my mind a voice was screaming "OFFINABUS OFFINABUS".

Having done the right thing by sending A3 off for a horrendous challenge, (which even he didn't argue) and calmed down the incensed Home team, it just didn't seem right at that point to pull out another red for something as innocuous as this.

What would you have done?

The Referee Store
No protest I would of done the same as you . If he caused the player to react I think I would of gone with red . Whether that’s right or wrong ?

USB because you don't want a successful appeal going against your impeccable record

Particularly with respect to red cards, I want to be expel reasonable doubt before reaching for the back pocket

but in the back of my mind
Doesn't really tick the box!
You know this anyway, cos you granted the culprit a second life

Save your red cards for the more serious ones....

Geez, looks like I missed out on hundreds of opportunities to send champagne to the County FA... I’d love to watch some of you lot ref your 7v7 traincrashes! 👍

But was it true? Did he have a big nose?

That's actually quite a pertinent question and the one which had that voice inside my head telling me to consider OFFINABUS.

Fact is, the gentleman in question didn't appear to me to have a projecting nasal appendage and so I determined that the "insult" would have been no worse or different to somebody calling him "Fatso" or "Baldy" or suchlike.

I'm glad you all seem to think I made the right call. I think the same way as @Chrisp72 does on this occasion in that had the player or indeed his team mates reacted in protest in any way then I'd have been left with little choice but to opt for red. This is yet another example of player reaction/non reaction helping to sell or influence a decision for a referee, although some would criticise me for it.

I was just curious if any of my fellows would have gone for red that's all. :)

Particularly with respect to red cards, I want to be expel reasonable doubt before reaching for the back pocket

Doesn't really tick the box!
You know this anyway, cos you granted the culprit a second life

Never made a decision on the field and immediately started thinking "Now have I got this right?" ;)

This is one of those you laugh at, then call the offender to you saying that you can't really allow such language. But I wouldn't even send him off if he'd called me a big nose, much less an opponent.

Happened to me in an OA match this weekend.

12 mins to go and, having just dismissed A3 for a Kung Fu challenge on H7, as I'm watching him walk across the field to the changing rooms before restarting play with the DFK one of the home teams shouts "See you later Big Nose!" There were no howls of protest from anybody but the dismissed player did turn back to look at where the "insult" had come from before carrying on his walk of shame.

I blew my whistle and beckoned H5 over to me and cautioned him for USB because it seemed about right at that moment, but in the back of my mind a voice was screaming "OFFINABUS OFFINABUS".

Having done the right thing by sending A3 off for a horrendous challenge, (which even he didn't argue) and calmed down the incensed Home team, it just didn't seem right at that point to pull out another red for something as innocuous as this.

What would you have done?
Considering how anti-PC you have portrayed yourself, I can't even believe you considered this a red.

The other day you were considering racist comments causing offence the result of somebody being a ‘snowflake’, but this you consider? I’ve no idea where your line is

Back