A&H

Open Age Calling 50/50s

dylan22

Level 7 Referee
Hey guys,

I've had a fair few of these recently - well, actually I have quite a few most games, as I'm sure we all do - players from opposing teams going into tackles or up for headers and kind of 'colliding'.

I've noticed most of the time players appear to just get on with it, acknowledging that they've probably connected with each other - but I had a very vocal player over the weekend who, himself going in for these types of challenges, moaned every time a player jumped up with him or there was a bit of a jostle and he didn't come away with the ball.

I find these particularly difficult to call given that both players are going in and seemingly, in most cases, getting on with it - I suppose in law, they might both be committing a foul but then I'm not really too sure how that works.

D

The Referee Store
If it's the kind of tackle where normally the players get on with it I'd leave it and have a word with the player and explain that they're 50/50, if you see a clear infringement you'll pull it up etc if you shout at me more it's a yellow for dissent that might shut him up.

Yes these "coming togethers" are always difficult to call.

Consistency within your own game is the key to getting your decisions accepted I think.

I actually slightly disagree with Paul in a sense...consistency from game to game might be less important than reading the mood of a match here.

If the players are happy to get on with it, inserting yourself into the flow of the game can cause more trouble than it's worth. On the other hand, if you have a player like the one described in the OP, it's worth making a clear and vocal decision at each of these incidents - even if that decision is a loud "50/50, no foul" or something like that. And it might also mean being a little "fussier" and calling slightly more fouls than you would be in a game where players don't mind that kind of battle.

Unfortunately, that does mean being slightly inconsistent between games, but I think it can sometime be the sensible choice.

I actually slightly disagree with Paul in a sense...consistency from game to game might be less important than reading the mood of a match here.

If the players are happy to get on with it, inserting yourself into the flow of the game can cause more trouble than it's worth. On the other hand, if you have a player like the one described in the OP, it's worth making a clear and vocal decision at each of these incidents - even if that decision is a loud "50/50, no foul" or something like that. And it might also mean being a little "fussier" and calling slightly more fouls than you would be in a game where players don't mind that kind of battle.

Unfortunately, that does mean being slightly inconsistent between games, but I think it can sometime be the sensible choice.

Think you misread my post Graeme - "consistency within your game" is what I said - agree 100% with you - game to game you could treat these differently depending on mood of game, age/abilities of players etc etc

Think you misread my post Graeme - "consistency within your game" is what I said - agree 100% with you - game to game you could treat these differently depending on mood of game, age/abilities of players etc etc
Fair enough - I took "your game" to mean "the way you referee" more generally I think.

Last edited:
in agreement with the other lads here ... its a 50/50, move on ...

I always try to give comments, as has been suggested already, like 'good jump' 'no foul' etc - also if I have a player that contests these then a simple '6 of one, half a dozen of the other' usually does the trick ... they either know that im basically saying it was a fair 50/50 so who to I give the FK too, or they spend too much time trying to figure the saying out that they forget what they was arguing! lol

As others have said, it's a 50/50 then let's crack on.

However, depending on this players grievances, perhaps you could change your position to get a better side on view on the drop zone at throw in, for example, just to make sure nothing else is going on.

I find that a lot of players will respond positively if you say you'll keep an eye on something, especially if they believe they have a genuine complaint, ignoring them is liable to wind them up.

Of course, you will get some players who will complain no matter what you do.

Like you I thought a lot about these when I first started and I'm now pretty much in line with the responses here. These mostly happen when you are very close to play (hopefully) and a lot of credibility if you shout "50/50 or good battle" straight away before any winging starts. I twisted myself in knots calling these one way or the other at first and it ended up spiralling out of control and lead to shouts of "inconsistency".

A good shout of 'well played' or 'good challenge' or 'thanks chaps' goes a long way- it also sets a bar for your tolerance.

If one particular player keeps moaning, have a quiet word to begin with before stepping up. To go public too quickly will wind him up and you may find a more serious issue round the corner.

I've always set my stall out that it's a mans game (usually) and they want a fair physical challenge from the other team, this will involve contact that some see as fouls, some see as part of the game. There is a line to cross, e.g. Bullying or just being a general dirty git!
Let them get in with it to some degree but be willing to step in if it gets out of hand.

If it gets too hot, slow the game down, blow for everything, they hate that!

Back