A&H

Bruno Fernandes - Thoughts?

The Ginger Ref

There have been a few of this same situation over the last few weeks (Trippier, Buonanotte) but Fernandes seems to be a serial offender (amongst many things).

I would love for the FA to ban him for 5 games, this kind of behaviour would stop in an instance. Whilst the referee hasn't been conned, it is still an attempt to decieve the referee through simulation.

The additional 10 rolls and ankle clutching before springing up as an opportunity presents itself just leaves a real sour taste and will only further influence kids at grassroots trying to imitate their hero.

The Referee Store
That's where i'd like to see VAR intervene. Retrospect bans for things like this could resolve the problem overnight

Now you're talking. Exactly what we need. They could do that overnight if they wanted to
I knew it already existed, but I was amazed to find that the panel for restrospective simulation bans was introduced in 2017. A long trawl of Google suggests there has only ever been two bans - Niasse for Everton and Lanzini for West Ham, both in 2017.

The Football Association has approved a proposal for retrospective bans for players who dive or feign injury in English football from next season. The idea, which is already being used in Scotland, was on the agenda at the FA's annual general meeting at Wembley on Thursday.
A three-man panel will review footage from the weekend each Monday and any player unanimously found to have cheated will be punished.
Those found guilty will be handed a two-match ban. If the referee books the offender, there will be no retrospective ban.

I guess the issue is that the panel only seem to review those who successfully decieve the referee, it they reviewed every dive, the panel would be inundated with submissions of Fernandes alone! (despite the wording saying "any player unanimously found to have cheated will be punished")

I knew it already existed, but I was amazed to find that the panel for restrospective simulation bans was introduced in 2017. A long trawl of Google suggests there has only ever been two bans - Niasse for Everton and Lanzini for West Ham, both in 2017.

The Football Association has approved a proposal for retrospective bans for players who dive or feign injury in English football from next season. The idea, which is already being used in Scotland, was on the agenda at the FA's annual general meeting at Wembley on Thursday.
A three-man panel will review footage from the weekend each Monday and any player unanimously found to have cheated will be punished.
Those found guilty will be handed a two-match ban. If the referee books the offender, there will be no retrospective ban.

I guess the issue is that the panel only seem to review those who successfully decieve the referee, it they reviewed every dive, the panel would be inundated with submissions of Fernandes alone! (despite the wording saying "any player unanimously found to have cheated will be punished")
So the punishment already exists ? 🤔
Jeez ! Why do they keep coming up with these ideas / campaigns, then drop them after a short while ?

I'd argue dsimulation is the one issue that has full agreement of nearly all stakeholders in the sense that it needs eradicating.

Back