A&H

Brisbane Roar v Western Sydney Wanderers

The Referee Store
At such short range the defender has no chance. Glad that wasn't a pen
The attacker has no chance either, when the arm is extended out that far for no legitimate reason.
This isn't good enough in the laws to not award the free kick, or in this case, penalty kick.

"It is usually an offence if a player:
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close."​

The attacker has no chance either, when the arm is extended out that far for no legitimate reason.
This isn't good enough in the laws to not award the free kick, or in this case, penalty kick.

• the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close."​

Totally get where you're coming from and I follow the wording of the Law.

To rephrase then - i'm glad that the defender's arm has been judged as not making his body unnaturally bigger. Else a lot more pens might be given where defenders are just moving naturally.

No way is that hand ball. Hand movement away from the ball. Not making himself bigger. Speed and closeness of the kick. In fact he was trying his hardest to get out of the way.....if that's handball the football is going to hell in a handcart!

Natural arm position, ball unexpected and travelled 3 feet at speed. Therefore, I'd be disappointed in myself if I blew for that. Stupid really to determine the outcome of a game on pure accidents that have do not reflect the skill of the teams

Back