A&H

Brentford v Tottenham

The Referee Store
So you're going to use the term Spuds and then argue for a PK that is never ever given at the professional level.

So you're going to use the term Spuds and then argue for a PK that is never ever given at the professional level.
But it should be given... It is a failing of the Professional game to ignore foul play after 'getting the shot away'. The ball was clearly still on the FOP
This 'expectation' needs to be changed because it is wrong

But it should be given... It is a failing of the Professional game to ignore foul play after 'getting the shot away'. The ball was clearly still on the FOP
This 'expectation' needs to be changed because it is wrong
But it's hard to take the post seriously on a neutral ref forum when the thread title uses the term for the club from the fan forums for Arsenal and Chelsea. The thread title itself already sounds of bias.

But it's hard to take the post seriously on a neutral ref forum when the thread title uses the term for the club from the fan forums for Arsenal and Chelsea. The thread title itself already sounds of bias.
Sorry. I didn’t mean it to be pejorative.

No top level referee is giving that, just as they haven't given it for the past 20+ years. As the saying goes, you stick your head above the parapet it will get shot off.

If FIFA/IFAB decide they want refs to give that then I'll be the first to say this example could go on the list of clips. But to argue it should be given (or that it was an officiating error) in the context of modern football is a little odd.

If you have some clips from major tournaments in the VAR era where this foul is not giving, would be interesting to see.

Pickford on VVD springs to mind. And I thought the consensus there was it was an obvious foul and a miss from the officials.

Just seen a clip, and have to admit being a Brentford fan so my opinion may seem tainted, but I think I'd be giving this.
Irrespective of where the ball ends up (obviously may delay a second to see if it goes in) the keeper has come out late and cleaned him out.
Anywhere else on the pitch you'd not just be giving a foul against the player and probably even a caution (think keeper was also on a caution already too, so would've been sent off - something else I've seen this weekend in early cards first half and barely any for similar or worse in 2nd half because they don't want reds).

The players never even considered it a pen. I haven't see anything that suggested Frank did. The goal kick was only delayed so they could complete a check for a possible handball a little earlier. If you're giving a PK and sending the keeper off there then good luck the rest of the match and your career. I'm not saying in theory the GK shouldn't be punished but it can't just be one ref going against years of consistent standards.

The players never even considered it a pen. I haven't see anything that suggested Frank did. The goal kick was only delayed so they could complete a check for a possible handball a little earlier. If you're giving a PK and sending the keeper off there then good luck the rest of the match and your career. I'm not saying in theory the GK shouldn't be punished but it can't just be one ref going against years of consistent standards.
I don't think anyone suggested sending the keeper off?

Yeah, I think you're seeing comments that aren't there. A red card here would be absolutely wrong in law, as the ball is already going out of play before anyone else has a chance to influence it, and the force doesn't rise to SFP.

But a penalty and maybe (but probably not) a yellow card would have been a far better decision than no foul.

Yeah, I think you're seeing comments that aren't there. A red card here would be absolutely wrong in law, as the ball is already going out of play before anyone else has a chance to influence it, and the force doesn't rise to SFP.

But a penalty and maybe (but probably not) a yellow card would have been a far better decision than no foul.

When I said send off it was referring to the fact the keeper had already be cautioned.

Then the ref isn't "sending off" the GK for the challenge - they're cautioning and the consequence happens to be a sending off due the keepers previous actions.

Regardless, even that I think distracts from the point because I don't even particularly think it does need a card. If for some reason your main focus is not sending the keeper off, a penalty and no card achieves that goal and still punishes the offence appropriately.

If a player follows through on another player anywhere else on the pitch like that.... It's a foul and probably a caution.

Why are keepers protected and essentially allowed to foul players without consequences?

If a player follows through on another player anywhere else on the pitch like that.... It's a foul and probably a caution.

Why are keepers protected and essentially allowed to foul players without consequences?
I think there are a couple of factors that lead us there. One is that GKs are expected to throe their bodies in harms way And risk injury. So they get a bit of slack. Alas, I think too often they get too much slack.

Back