A&H

Brentford V Swansea

JamesL

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
Here we go again...
Lively opening
Case for a red card early doors.
Nailed on Pen. Anyone for DOGSO? He takes it away from goal but still think he is in that area. Only a yellow anyway so not a major clanger, for now 😏

The Referee Store
Here we go again...
Lively opening
Case for a red card early doors.
Nailed on Pen. Anyone for DOGSO? He takes it away from goal but still think he is in that area. Only a yellow anyway so not a major clanger, for now 😏
He never actually cautioned the keeper.
Only caution they had was that naughty one after 5 minutes.
Brentford were on the receiving end of another late high one where free kick given and no card.
Brentford received one after 22 minutes for a bad challenge on the defending third for Swansea. Right call.

Good game so far by Kavanagh I think.

He never actually cautioned the keeper.
Only caution they had was that naughty one after 5 minutes.
Brentford were on the receiving end of another late high one where free kick given and no card.
Brentford received one after 22 minutes for a bad challenge on the defending third for Swansea. Right call.

Good game so far by Kavanagh I think.
I know. I meant it would have been a caution.
Kav is having a good game.

He's knocked it very wide and it was just about a challenge for the ball, so no card was correct for me. I don't think any referee is giving a red card for that challenge 4 minutes into such a massive game.

Could have been a red after five minutes. Player sort of slips but also jumps in with enough force to warrant a red imo, although realistically I'd probably also give the yellow here. https://streamja.com/6WjdV
Initially thought DOGSO, still 50/50 on that one. Agree that Kavanaugh is having a good game.
Swansea might as well not play the second halve, they've been absolutely dire.

He's knocked it very wide and it was just about a challenge for the ball, so no card was correct for me. I don't think any referee is giving a red card for that challenge 4 minutes into such a massive game.
For there to be a yellow after four minutes in such a game is a miracle in itself. You know someone made a really seriously late tackle for that to happen

It's almost been as if this game isn't happening today. 99% of media time focused on tonight's game. Alas the game is 99% top heavy. Alas I'm in the 1% of viewers who thinks the EFL game is the only one of interest

Last edited:
Whilst against the grain, in a recent play off final a player was sent off in the first minute. Tranmere V Braintree if memory serves me so not impossible.
Also accept that was the most nailed on red ever and not a championship play off final.
Didn't feel he took he ball that wide with replay benefit.

On a single look it’s awful, two footed.
Agree on replay it wasn’t deliberately two footed but it’s from behind with no chance to play the ball. Still a good case for SFP.

Stupid challenge to make irrespective of anything else.

Strange one. I'd have had the RC out quicker than CK (if that's measurably possible), but on review it was accidental, careless, reckless and dangerous! Guess no choice but to go with the latter but makes a mockery of the definitions bit of the book
Don't think there is a single word that could describe that challenge

2 or 3 penalty shouts in the same second from the same corner. They're talking about the one at the back post but what about the one on Toney where his shirt was virtually ripped off him.

The challenge itself was not a red.
The fact that the players foot got caught with the boot/laces made everything look worse. The player making the tackle was essentially dragged by the player being challenged.

No card for the penalty correct for me, and as others have said the first view of the red card looked horrendous, seeing the replay definitely not a red though!

real time looks worse than the replay, and it’s clear that the stills I’ve seen on twitter (2 feet on the air) are from a slip, but that’s all come from his own initial contact with no chance of playing the ball so red card for me.

the 70 minutes I saw of the game, missing the 20 with this RC in, the referee was brilliant as have they been throughout the playoffs. There seems to be more confidence in the first time decision making without VAR watching over them

For the red card I actually think the initial contact on his achiles is intentional, his reaction immediately after doesn't strike me as the response of an innocent man. It then gets made to look a lot worse because the contact takes him off his feet, but the initial contact is what is key.

In any case, intent is irrelevant and there can't be any doubt at all that it endangered the opponent, who was very lucky to escape serious injury.

Back