A&H

Brentford v Forest

The Referee Store
Players moving/interfering with vanishing spray is becoming too common and needs strict censure from senior colleagues.

Does that mean free kick from wrong place, ball not on corner arc, moving ball at free kick, player within one metre of wall… none of these are valid for VAR review?

When he first moved it, I was thinking, it isn't that bad, he's just moving it outside the spray.

But then he scopes some spray and adds it about a yard to the side and moves the ball again hahaa

Whether the 4 on field officials should have seen and dealt with it or not, VAR certainly cannot get involved. The ball was out of play at the time, once play is then restarted that's it whether it was from the wrong place or not.

It was also rank bad goalkeeping. Ryan Yates told him they needed another man in the wall, he was spot on and the keeper ignored him.

if the ref catches the player doing this, is it just a caution for delaying the restart or do you give an idfk the other way

Does that mean free kick from wrong place, ball not on corner arc, moving ball at free kick, player within one metre of wall… none of these are valid for VAR review?
I’m not sure about the 1 meter as that Is an offense once the ball comes into play, so I think that is at least theoretically reviewable, but ikm not sure. But by understanding is that an improperly taken restart is not reviewable, which precludes review on the other examples.

if the ref catches the player doing this, is it just a caution for delaying the restart or do you give an idfk the other way
general concept: restarts cannot change until taken. Nothing allows a R to “forfeit“ a FK for misconduct before it is taken.

(there are some specific nuances on this relating to PK infractions and improperly taken TIs that don’t enter the field)

At any level with comms, the nearest AR and 4th official should monitoring the ball and I'd expect all officials to be relaying information in relation to ball movement to the referee if seen. All officials are at a level where this is the expected standard. This should be in pre match instructions even at Supply where comms are not used.

Reactions: es1
Would you expect this instruction "watch the ball at FK with wall", to be given to active AR in the pre-match?

Or just do the basic thing that refs do in other leagues and draw an arc. They can pick up a dot of spray but they're not moving the entire arc. I'm sure the PL can afford an extra can of spray if needed.

spray.jpg

Suspend a player for illegal gambling and he cheats and then shows zero knowledge of the LOTG "you can move it up to a yard/meter/whatever" ... what else ? Probably poor for the officials to miss this where placement can be crucial,,,,

Instead of blaming the officials for missing this, the FA should be charging Toney for cheating / bring the game into disrupt.

The only way to stop players from cheating is post-match punishments.

Back