A&H

Brazil v Belgium

The Referee Store
Aside from Neymar spoiling things, it was a top game
Like VAR, I didn't think it was a pen. Like VAR (no doubt), I'm thinking I was probably wrong

1. Neymar needed a caution for diving.

2. No idea how they missed the penalty call. I assumed it was the ball being out of play but apparently not?

3. Great call on the Neymar penalty though, never a foul.

Good game really, France v Belgium should be tasty.

Very impressed with Mazic tonight. I agree that Neymar should have been cautioned for simulation, but all bets are off due to the obvious referees' committee guidelines.

VAR did review the penalty appeal, and I can only assume they said no as the ball was out of play at the time of the foul. I've seen the stills, but I think the foul that brought him down was with the trailing leg and by then it was out. Really need to see a replay to be sure though.

Shearer for once speaking sense. Brazil didn't get the review because of Neymar's cheating. This left the officials in an unforgiving mindset when a genuine penalty shout came in

The point of the still was to show the ball was in play when the contact on the shin occurred, not to show that the contact on the shin was worthy of a foul. I thought the various replays showed that pretty clearly.
So how come your VAR buddies **cked that up?

Watched the replay on the penalty claim a few time. In full speed it doesn't look like a foul. With slow mo its a foul. I assume it wasn't reviewed based on not a clear and obvious error which is inconsistent with past reviews.

Shearer for once speaking sense. Brazil didn't get the review because of Neymar's cheating. This left the officials in an unforgiving mindset when a genuine penalty shout came in

But surely you should look at each incident independent of anything else that has happened? And this should be easier in the VOR rather than on the pitch because you don't have players trying to influence you. A penalty is still a penalty regardless of what has happened beforehand? (Personally I'm happy that we won't have to see Neymar's antics again, but I think on this incident, a penalty should have been given.

Human nature says it would needed to have been cast iron for Brazil, and certainly Neymar to get a pk, officials are not immune from reading the press and of course seeing things online, if it was any of us going out there tonight to do that game, we would be walking out tbat tunnel saying to ourselves, guys, you are not fooling me tonight

But surely you should look at each incident independent of anything else that has happened? And this should be easier in the VOR rather than on the pitch because you don't have players trying to influence you. A penalty is still a penalty regardless of what has happened beforehand? (Personally I'm happy that we won't have to see Neymar's antics again, but I think on this incident, a penalty should have been given.
I agree, but people (and officials) are not robots. Whether we like it or not, we're subtly influenced by stuff without necessarily being aware of it

Human nature says it would needed to have been cast iron for Brazil, and certainly Neymar to get a pk, officials are not immune from reading the press and of course seeing things online, if it was any of us going out there tonight to do that game, we would be walking out tbat tunnel saying to ourselves, guys, you are not fooling me tonight
to put it simply, the boy who cried wolf?

Back