A&H

BOOTS!

The Referee Store
As nice as they are that's going to be a no I'd imagine. Boot's have to be predominately black, remember the black and green nikes Mike Dean had (See photo)? They put him in the crap! They'd also be a b***ard to keep clean!
article-2262709-16EE25DB000005DC-338_468x286.jpg

They are fine....if you want to look like an idiot!

The only regulations are...

11. Referees’ Uniforms

(a) All Match Officials in Competitions under the jurisdiction of The Association and Affiliated Associations must wear uniforms comprising a plain shirt which shall be almost entirely black with white collars and black shorts. Socks shall be black and may have another colour at the top which must be in accord with the single colour used on the shirt collar. Caps may be worn in extreme heat. Where a cap is worn it must be black in colour, not restrict the peripheral vision of the match official, and not carry any form of advertising, logo or wording.

So no regulations against it but you'll probably get a reaction like this.....
The blander the boots the better!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2262709/Mike-Dean-ditches-green-boots.html

We got an end of season email from the league referee officer last week which went something along the lines of:
' you do yourselves proud on appearance, but there are still a few who are let down by not wearing black boots.'
So that's probably a no.

We got an end of season email from the league referee officer last week which went something along the lines of:
' you do yourselves proud on appearance, but there are still a few who are let down by not wearing black boots.'
So that's probably a no.

Until they start providing boots, the FA have no business dictating what you can wear.
Likewise with the rest of the kit.......

Until they start providing boots, the FA have no business dictating what you can wear.
Likewise with the rest of the kit.......

In a role where we get paid the FA quite rightly shouldn't be providing us kit! They are more than entitled to set out criteria for attire if they so wish, anyway all black isn't so hard to follow really, is it?

In a role where we get paid the FA quite rightly shouldn't be providing us kit! They are more than entitled to set out criteria for attire if they so wish, anyway all black isn't so hard to follow really, is it?

Being paid is irrelevant.

By all means they can state a preference, they can't insist. What difference does it make to how you referee if you turn up in a yellow top as opposed to a black one?

Just more outdated ideas from the dinosaurs at the FA.

Being paid is irrelevant.
By all means they can state a preference, they can't insist. What difference does it make to how you referee if you turn up in a yellow top as opposed to a black one?
Just more outdated ideas from the dinosaurs at the FA.
Whilst making sure we don't go down the coloured tops debate route that has been done to death many a time, it's simple @Padfoot - by registering we agree to abide by the FA regulations including those regarding kit. If people are not happy with it they know the choice they have...

Whilst making sure we don't go down the coloured tops debate route that has been done to death many a time, it's simple @Padfoot - by registering we agree to abide by the FA regulations including those regarding kit. If people are not happy with it they know the choice they have...

Then the FA need to drag their collective backsides out of the 1800's and accept that there is a colour spectrum that includes more than black and white, and referees who pay out of their pocket to wear a uniform dictated by those who don't pay for it, are free to spend their money on whatever kit they want.
And no, the FA don't pay grassroots referee's, the teams do........

And no, i am not interested in a coloured shirts debate.......just trying to make a point about referee's being free to buy what they need/want/can afford.

Being paid is very relevant.

I agree to an extent about the shirts but I think with black teams know where they stand in knowing not to purchase a black strip. Allowing colours would allow teams to do this...then the inevitable scenario is..

REF: You can't wear black, it's all I've got....cant afford to buy another (coloured) strip

TEAM: Oh well, other refs have colours...we only have a black strip now...

Being paid is very relevant.

I agree to an extent about the shirts but I think with black teams know where they stand in knowing not to purchase a black strip. Allowing colours would allow teams to do this...then the inevitable scenario is..

REF: You can't wear black, it's all I've got....cant afford to buy another (coloured) strip

TEAM: Oh well, other refs have colours...we only have a black strip now...

to be honest it doesn't stop teams buying black strips, does it? I think the rule should become more relaxed if a team only has a black strip and the referee doesn't have a coloured shirt then the team wears bibs, the teams can's say they cant afford a set of bibs........

to be honest it doesn't stop teams buying black strips, does it? I think the rule should become more relaxed if a team only has a black strip and the referee doesn't have a coloured shirt then the team wears bibs, the teams can's say they cant afford a set of bibs........

We don't have this problem up here as we have coloured kits, but surely if referees can only wear black in England then why, oh why, oh why would a team buy a black kit?

Crazy

Because of a lack of consistency amongst refs and a good portion allowing teams to play in it. The problem tends to come from a mostly or fully black back of shirt with a striped or more coloured front.

Last weeks ref.

Or you could of course blame whatever league it is for not inspecting, or badly inspecting, the new kit.

Whether or not you would be physically allowed to wear those white boots, I personally would never want to wear boots like that at all. You would just be drawing unnecessary attention to yourself and you open yourself up to comments from players and spectators that could undermine you before the match has even started. Smart, clean black boots are the easiest way to look professional and make a good impression. Nike Premiers are the best by a mile IMO :)

The amount of times that I've turned up to a game and one team has been in black or a very dark blue and I have made them wear bibs, they have all tried to get me to wear one but it ain't my fault they got the wrong kit. Had a game once and the two teams were playing in the exact same kit. Made it interesting to ref anyway :). When I played for a team we always had eccentric kits so that there was never a clash, never mind black and white or yellow (often popular choices, in Hull anyway), we went for bright orange, with me the keeper in purple. It was great :)

Hope people realise the elf and safety implication of getting teams to play a competitive match in bibs?

Was always told not to allow it due to the increased risk of injury from fingers etc getting caught in them..........

Back