A&H

Boots

The Referee Store
You'd be surprised how many refs ask about sleeves. Having worked in a lot of teams of 3 it's bizarre how obsessive some folk can be.

Really? It's bizarre imo. Why would somebody think that differing lengths of sleeves on officials looks unprofessional? It's a case of worrying about issues that aren't even there. A complete waste of energy.

My answer is always wear what you want. It's not a fashion parade

Best ref I've worked for just came the changing rooms (it was bitterly cold) and said "wear whatever you want, just make sure you stay warm. None of us will enjoy this if we're freezing our ***** off and if we're not enjoying it then what's the point". A man straight out of my own book.

My answer is always wear what you want. It's not a fashion parade
I like this advice. But on some occasions I would add to the end, "make sure you don't turn it into one" :) . I know it's outside of the context of long/short sleeves but lets say a referee turns up with one black and one white boot and revers socks colours on each foot.

It’s amazing how the top boys get judged on their performances and not if their attire wasn’t quite up to a bloke in a grey suits outdated liking... bigger fish to fry really

I like this advice. But on some occasions I would add to the end, "make sure you don't turn it into one" :) . I know it's outside of the context of long/short sleeves but lets say a referee turns up with one black and one white boot and revers socks colours on each foot.

Have you ever witnessed that. I could be wrong and I'm sure far superior and more experienced refs than i on here could give examples but id be amazed to see a ref/AR turn up to a game in the UK with different coloured boots or socks. Maybe a brand new ref at an u10s match who's just testing the water and hasn't got the gear yet but id be amazed if an adult did so.

Have you ever witnessed that. I could be wrong and I'm sure far superior and more experienced refs than i on here could give examples but id be amazed to see a ref/AR turn up to a game in the UK with different coloured boots or socks. Maybe a brand new ref at an u10s match who's just testing the water and hasn't got the gear yet but id be amazed if an adult did so.
I think you took my example too literally. No I haven't and I doubt I ever will. But I have witnessed referees worrying about how 'good' they look more than how comfortable, how practical or how professional they looked.

As and example (I am not making this up, it's just a timely coincident). I did an FFA cup (Aus equivalent to FA Cup) game Wednesday night under lights as the senior AR. The ref wanted to wear light blue. I suggested it looks too close to one team's light green. Red would be the best option. His response (he was serious), "have you ever seen a picture of yourself in red? It makes you look fat". Alright then, you are the boos :( .

I'm just at the point where I don't give a flying (fill in your blank here :) ) about that anymore, but I definitely see where you are coming from.

Last week, I did a game wearing Diadora shoes, Official Sports shirt and shorts, and Nike running gloves. The next night, I wore Adidas shoes and an Under Armour wristband. I realize I look like an auto racing team with all of the different brands, but I just don't care anymore! :)

I still pull my old Umbro kits (Mk 1 and Mk2) over my head whenever I referee on occasion. I keep the Nike kit for County League matches and/or finals. My boots have included Umbro, Puma, Adidas and Nike.

Even if I'm sometimes wearing "dated" kit I always look the part cos of course, I tuck my shirt in. ;) :D

Have you ever witnessed that. I could be wrong and I'm sure far superior and more experienced refs on here could give examples but id be amazed to see a ref/AR turn up to a game in the UK with different coloured boots or socks. Maybe a brand new ref at an u10s match who's just testing the water and hasn't got the gear yet but id be amazed if an adult did So
I think you took my example too literally. No I haven't and I doubt I ever will. But I have witnessed referees worrying about how 'good' they look more than how comfortable, how practical or how professional they looked.

As and example (I am not making this up, it's just a timely coincident). I did an FFA cup (Aus equivalent to FA Cup) game Wednesday night under lights as the senior AR. The ref wanted to wear light blue. I suggested it looks too close to one team's light green. Red would be the best option. His response (he was serious), "have you ever seen a picture of yourself in red? It makes you look fat". Alright then, you are the boos :( .

Really? Absolutely baffling thought process

Best ref I've worked for just came the changing rooms (it was bitterly cold) and said "wear whatever you want, just make sure you stay warm. None of us will enjoy this if we're freezing our ***** off and if we're not enjoying it then what's the point". A man straight out of my own book.

On the opposite side of this coin, I wear long sleeves much more often than my colleagues. I have a very fair complexion, so I wear long sleeves as sun protection during mid-afternoon games unless it's really hot and humid (remember, I'm in the US so we don't wear black very often). I also just like wearing long sleeves more than short sleeves, all else equal. I centered a game at 5 PM on Tuesday, and I wore long sleeves while my ARs wore short sleeves. Not a single person complained.

I'm heading out for a doubleheader starting at 5:30 PM. Current temperature is 69 degrees. I will referee as part of a two-man officiating crew (don't ask - high schools in the US have screwy rules that we just have to deal with, and one of them is a system of control where we have two referees with whistles and card) for the younger kids' game and as an AR for a traditional three-man crew for the older kids' game. I'll be in long sleeves.

That sounds... odd.

Like the rest of the world, USSF forbids this. But in the US, our high school sports are separate unto themselves and do what they want. Hgh school soccer does not use the LOTG, but its own rule set. (And the high school rule books in all sports can only be purchased from the high school federation--it's primary source of revenue.)

I think the "dual" (sometimes mockingly called "duel") referee system may have had more appeal in high school because, hey, it works in basketball!--and many high school officials are multi-sport refs who only do high school games. Ultimately I think the system survives in many places for a combination of reasons including its cheaper than paying three, there are often shortages that make it hard to have three, and a lack of referees who could actually do the game solo. (In the US we have far fewer solo reffed games than I think is true in many parts of the world. Part of that may stem from AYSO, which is the large youth soccer program. In AYSO the referees are volunteers, mostly initially parents (some who stick around), so there isn't the cost factor of paying three refs, as it is three volunteers--and the best way to get referees to improve is to get them out there. So even 10U games use a team of three. I think that puts pressure on other leagues to use three instead of running with solo refs, even at levels where it might make sense.)

Back