A&H

"Blue cards to be introduced for football sin-bins"

Why is this guy insistent on hammering current referees? Any opportunity he gets. It's a tough enough gig with the criticism we get from outside of the community, we don't need it to come from those within or previously within the community, as it holds more gravitas.
The same reason so many “celebrities” find drums to beat on—it gets him attention that feeds his celebrity and his bank account.

The Referee Store
Keith Hackett speaking to 5 live:
"The reason behind that is that we appear to be changing the laws to accommodate weak and indecisive referee. Referees in the current laws at the elite level have the ability to caution someone for dissent and further dissent to issue a red card. They've also got a yellow card for stopping a promising attack. They put this under the banner of a cynical challenge, which is going to be introduced under the remit of a blue card and a ten minute delay."

Why is this guy insistent on hammering current referees? Any opportunity he gets. It's a tough enough gig with the criticism we get from outside of the community, we don't need it to come from those within or previously within the community, as it holds more gravitas.
He's a prat?

In all seriousness he comes from the great historic tradition of former refs, BBC Journalists and politicians of thinking the only way to maintain your reputation is to slag off everyone still doing your old job

Not being able to talk to the referee should reduce dissent. At minimum I will make it much easier to identify. Players should self manage themselves. There will still be times as referees we communicate with players but it would be when we choose, not at any given moment as it is now.
100% agree. We’ve all heard captains say ‘I’m the captain, i can talk to you’ which we know is nonsense, but actually applying that would make dealing with dissent so much better. Actually define who can talk to you and anyone outside of that knows they’ll be taking a seat for 10 minutes. It doesn’t prevent referees having a dialogue, but it creates a ‘speak when you’re spoken to’ mentality for the teams.

Keith Hackett speaking to 5 live:
"The reason behind that is that we appear to be changing the laws to accommodate weak and indecisive referee. Referees in the current laws at the elite level have the ability to caution someone for dissent and further dissent to issue a red card. They've also got a yellow card for stopping a promising attack. They put this under the banner of a cynical challenge, which is going to be introduced under the remit of a blue card and a ten minute delay."

There is a valid point amongst this when you fight through the fog of BS. Referees have always had the tools to deal with dissent but have regularly had to sacrifice that in the aim of entertainment and trying to keep players on the pitch. It’s gradually got worse and worse until a knee jerk reaction comes in.

There is a valid point amongst this when you fight through the fog of BS. Referees have always had the tools to deal with dissent but have regularly had to sacrifice that in the aim of entertainment and trying to keep players on the pitch. It’s gradually got worse and worse until a knee jerk reaction comes in.
I don’t agree at all. He is referring to weak referees. The referees are doing what is asked of them—that’s why they keep getting game. If he were to chastise competition authorities for not supporting refs who use the tools, that would be different. But he is pointing the blame in the wrong place to pander to the average fan who loves to bash refs.

Last major law change - VAR - is a comedy sh*t show of epic proportions. So just wheel in another monster change. Destroy SPA! Yay!

The sages at TalkSh*te had this right today. We cannot have more complex laws. They must be simplified. More cards, bins and major changes to foul sanctions will just create inconsistencies and more errors and will all just be sticks to beat referees with.

But more media coverage!
Which is really the point.

Last edited:
He's a prat?

In all seriousness he comes from the great historic tradition of former refs, BBC Journalists and politicians of thinking the only way to maintain your reputation is to slag off everyone still doing your old job
He has zero credibility. He had the top job and made a total and utter arse of it and was removed, if that was me I'd be keeping a very low profile not talking about current referees. Unfortunately though the press that interview him have conveniently forgotten how much they criticised him when he was in the role.

Misleading headline, they've just postponed announcing anything until after the meeting in March.
But it’s gone from “blue cards in the FA Cup next season” to “the FA unlikely to take it up”, lack of support in major leagues and requires testing at lower levels…

Some PR machine at IFAB!

With the managers backlash from the Blue card, they should be asked how they can reduce dissent in their team? Any answer would be acceptable.

Otherwise, I think the EPL should start giving more YC for dissent to the end of the season. Once they realised if they won't deal with it, the refs will, then they may be more understanding. A BC results in 10 mins off. Yellows can result in red so matches off. ... Which do they want?

I think some research is needed of grass roots referees, many choose not to issue SBs & opt for a AA yellow card. Having been to a coaches/managers meeting this was confirmed by them, they liked SBs & wished we used them more. One coach admitted he had 5 SBs on Saturday, not at the same time!

Using SBs for SPA will be a step even further for those referee colleagues uncomfortable with SBs.

I think some research is needed of grass roots referees, many choose not to issue SBs & opt for a AA yellow card.
This is a huge problem at grass roots, many referees don't use sin bins for dissent even though it is mandatory. One even phoned talkSPORT this week and openly admitted on air that he doesn't use them as he doesn't agree with it

Last major law change - VAR - is a comedy sh*t show of epic proportions. So just wheel in another monster change. Destroy SPA! Yay!

The sages at TalkSh*te had this right today. We cannot have more complex laws. They must be simplified. More cards, bins and major changes to foul sanctions will just create inconsistencies and more errors and will all just be sticks to beat referees with.

But more media coverage!
Which is really the point.
Santa, stop talking utter sense
You're stealing my thunder. I may as well retire from the Forum if you keep posting stuff like this

Leave cynical SPA out of the trials, I say. SPA doesn't need complicating further; SPA - attempt to play the ball in the penalty area is already downgraded to no card so we will now have a situation where SPA can be sanctioned by a blue card, a yellow card or no card at all? That's a recipe for controversy.

I think the blue card can have a positive impact on dissent but I'd rather it be used for crowding the referee only, rather than bog-standard dissent.

I don’t agree at all. He is referring to weak referees. The referees are doing what is asked of them—that’s why they keep getting game. If he were to chastise competition authorities for not supporting refs who use the tools, that would be different. But he is pointing the blame in the wrong place to pander to the average fan who loves to bash refs.
I agree with you, it’s the reason I said get through the BS. Referees have been hindered by the pressure of the entertainment industry

I think the blue card can have a positive impact on dissent but I'd rather it be used for crowding the referee only, rather than bog-standard dissent.
That just creates one more grey area of judgment . . . And if refs don’t caution for this now, adding sin bins won’t make them caution.

Beyond supporting refs who give cautions for crowding, any league that has televised games that wants to stop crowding of refs can by imposing post game sanctions:

First offense, post game fine and cards added to cumulative count for miscreants
Second offense, increase the fine
Third offense, increase the fine and a point deduction
Fourth offense, increases the fine and the point deduction . . .

The one thing that does sound promising with this proposal is it gets rid of the nonsense that you can get two yellow cards and not be sent off. Seems that the blue cards will just be a yellow with the addition of a sin bin, get two blue cards, or one blue and a yellow, and that equals a red. Much simpler for referees to implement, and for participants to understand.

The concerning element is a sin bin for cynical foul, as they are far more subjective than dissent. Dissent itself has some level of subjectivity due to differing tolerance levels of referees, which cynical fouls even more so. And what will a cynical foul be defined as, use the current definition of SPA, where players are often cautioned for accidental fouls that aren't in any way cynical, or leaving SPA as a standard caution and say it has to be a very obvious cynical foul for a sin bin. Whatever they go with I can't help thinking that every foul is going to result in the opposition demanding a sin bin.

Quote from an interview on White and Jordan. EPL are happy with the status quo

"Referees are dealing with it (dissent) in the way we'd like them to" - Tony Scholes Premier League's Chief Football Officer

Back