A&H

Blood pressure test

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
I’ve been looking to do a blood pressure test and all the pharmacy’s around me (Boots, day Lewis etc) all seem to be doing them if you’re over 40 or if you have high blood pressure in the family. I need to do the test in preparation for the fitness test but don’t meet these requirements, has anyone else has problems arranging one?

The Referee Store
Your GP surgery should be able to do this for you, although getting an appointment might be an issue.

If not do you know any nurses in your family or friends, any registered nurse is qualified to do this test for you, they might just need access to a hospital stamp to mark the form.

My other half did mine for my previous fitness test and it was all fine.

Another option might be a local walk in centre if you’re really struggling, try giving them a call.

Good luck!

Lloyds Pharmacy will do them for you. Costs £7.50. Some have closed/are closing, but worth using their online booking service to look at where and what's available.

It may also be worth ringing those pharmacies that do the over 40 and see if they'll do it for you if you explain the situation.

I’ll have to try local walk ins. Been looking at Lloyd’s and all the local ones are September bookings at the earliest

I’ll have to try local walk ins. Been looking at Lloyd’s and all the local ones are September bookings at the earliest

That's the issue with Lloyds, I had 1 local that I could use quickly. I had to travel an hour for the test that I actually passed and even then it wasn't a Lloyds, had been taken over a couple of weeks before. The booking system still had it down as Lloyds though.

I rang in advance and told them the situation and they honoured the booking and didn't charge me.

Bit of a mess though when I got there, first 2 tests were 154/xx, but they were using an older machine. Thought that may be an issue as it shouldn't have been that high. Was relaxed etc. Got a new one out and managed to get under the requirements.

Good luck!

I’ve been looking to do a blood pressure test and all the pharmacy’s around me (Boots, day Lewis etc) all seem to be doing them if you’re over 40 or if you have high blood pressure in the family. I need to do the test in preparation for the fitness test but don’t meet these requirements, has anyone else has problems arranging one?
You can buy one for as cheap as £18 on Amazon. It's not rocket science using it and very accurate. My one is at least 10 years old and works perfectly.Screenshot_20230703_143306.jpg

You can buy one for as cheap as £18 on Amazon. It's not rocket science using it and very accurate. My one is at least 10 years old and works perfectly.View attachment 6721
Yes, but the FA don't accept at home tests.

To take an FA fitness test, you have to show/prove your BP is lower than 140/90.

It has to be certified by a medical practitioner with a accompanying practice stamp.

Yes, but the FA don't accept at home tests.

To take an FA fitness test, you have to show/prove your BP is lower than 140/90.

It has to be certified by a medical practitioner with a accompanying practice stamp.
I wasn't aware that you need a certified bit of paper to prove that. On the other hand I am not a level 4, otherwise I would have known that. Thanks James.

If you have a local Pharmacy, just walk in
I get a repeat prescription from a Village Pharmacy and the Pharmacist is quite happy to do the test and sign the form
Pharmacies are meant to be taking the load off our GPs in this way (We have no Public Services that can cope in this Country FWIW)

My GP started charging for them years ago unless it was them saying that you needed to take one. If getting it done at a pharmacy make sure it is clear the pharmacist signed it, I've seen people turned away otherwise because it has to be a qualified medical practitioner, so normal shop staff wouldn't count.

Don't forget to slip the Pharmacist a Score for signing his name against 139/89 ;)
Go there at opening time before any coffee or exercise. Don't bend your arm to 90 degrees as this inflates the reading
Then post the £20 to me instead

Last edited:
After 13 phone calls, I managed to find a pharmacy who would allow me to walk in (only a 40 mile round trip,what a result!) The general guideline seems to be £7.50 for a booking 30 years in advance, or you can have it for free if you’re over 40 or have a history of family medical issues. I thought being young and fit was supposed to be a positive :D

So bowled into the Pharmacy this morning two days before fitness test..... BP like 150/95+ or summit.... What? Not even close
Came home and BP was a pass on my own machine
So advanced to GP surgery and their machine said 133/79 and luckily my GP was floating around behind Reception. So he signed it and charged me £20 for the pleasure! Panic over :dead:

Back