A&H

Blades v Man Utd

The Referee Store
Perfectly fair challenge for me. If you want to see an unfair shoulder charge then look at the challenge by Vardy on Rafael in the 5-3 at the King Power a few years ago (and i'm a Leicester fan!)

To be fair thats one image, where does the ball go after that image ?

Im not saying its hand ball, i just dont think anyone can be 100% sure it did or didn't hit the arm.

Indeed, I watched it Live and while I was obviously ecstatic with the resulting penalty, I did think the decision making was a bit off by Clattenburg but I do think he was an outstanding referee!

Based on there never actually being clarity on where the arm stops as such, this does look a bit suspect

Back when the US had its Advice to Referees, it was very explicit on where the arm ends. It said to use the seam on a standard shirt--the shirt sleeve covers the arm. I always thought that was pretty universal advice.

Some great replies from some very sensible football loving members...I’ve regained some faith in humanity. @Kes back in your box 😂

Last edited:
The handball incident is debatable mate but that charge that sent Jones flying was a foul. Terrible decision not to give a free kick. ..

The handball incident is debatable mate but that charge that sent Jones flying was a foul. Terrible decision not to give a free kick. ..
We’ll have to agree to disagree but I haven’t heard one peep on radio or TV saying it was incorrect... Old skool I agree, but fair charging is allowed and I’m glad the ref and VAR agreed!

Looking at the various replays but especially the one from behind the goal line it looks to me like after initial contact by Mousset's shoulder into Jones' chest area, he then extends his arm to shove the defender to the ground. I can't see anything that I would qualify as a 'fair shoulder charge.' I was fully expecting to hear a whistle at the time and while I understand not everyone might agree, I would expect that to be given as a foul more often than not. Just my opinion

Reactions: Kes
Re the charge - He raised his arm to push him over and therefore it's a push. I'm astonished other refs see this differently and have somehow allowed a push to be reinterpreted as a fair charge. If however, he hadn't raised his arm, isn't there a case that the moose wasn't in playing distance of the ball?

Reactions: Kes
Re the charge - He raised his arm to push him over and therefore it's a push. I'm astonished other refs see this differently and have somehow allowed a push to be reinterpreted as a fair charge. If however, he hadn't raised his arm, isn't there a case that the moose wasn't in playing distance of the ball?
You and @Kes need them mince pies clearing I think and take another look!

Without wanting to cause a riot, isn't football supposed to be a contact sport? It was two players going head to head in a physical battle for the ball in which the striker came off the better as Jones wasn't strong enough to hold off the challenge, surely we want to encourage that don't we?

Agreed. :cool:

The judgement from some members seems to be based on a legacy dislike of all things Man Utd and also on the fact that they think Jones is a clumsy carthorse of a defender. Maybe he is, but I, like you was very surprised not to hear the whistle after Mousett's barge on him - especially since a goal resulted directly from it.
Put it this way, if that challenge happened in one of my matches at grass roots level and I didn't blow for the foul and then a goal was scored ... I'd expect my game that day to go from bad to worse ... :wtf:

Without wanting to cause a riot, isn't football supposed to be a contact sport? It was two players going head to head in a physical battle for the ball in which the striker came off the better as Jones wasn't strong enough to hold off the challenge, surely we want to encourage that don't we?

But it wasn't was it?
It was an attacker and a forward both sprinting towards a ball that the defender got to first before the attacker ran into him, knocking him over.
Next time a player appeals for a FK after he's been fouled during one of your matches mate, try saying "No mate, you just weren't strong enough to hold off the challenge". You can compete for space/possession physically (contact sport ;) ) but you can't just barge somebody out of the way and off the ball. :)

Back