A&H

Bizarre one today - what do you think?

The Referee Store
Good job no where in York has posts like this then!

I think any other decision (drop ball) is against the spirit of the game, though technically correct

Not sure if we have discussed this before, apologies if we have.

What are your views on those wires you get across astro pitches. Was at a League 2 club academy game (AR) and referee went for the 'common sense' approach of play on if ball hits wire from open play, but retake if direct from a restart.

Its a difficult one

1) Not play
2) Drop ball every time
3) As 'my' referee did
4) Ignore every time

Thoughts?

They can easily be taken down so a polite please remove them.

Had this issue and all variations caused some sort of issue so at half time I had them taken down. Wish i had done it at start as "its never a problem" loosely translates to "its a massive problem"

They can easily be taken down so a polite please remove them.

Had this issue and all variations caused some sort of issue so at half time I had them taken down. Wish i had done it at start as "its never a problem" loosely translates to "its a massive problem"

I agree about the 2nd part. Been there several times and as you intimate, apparently they don't come down!

Another time I was there, referee went for drop ball every time, but changed 2nd half to 'play on' after coaches complained.

2nd half the inevitable happened, ball hitting wire led to a goal - a possibility I had pointed out to the coaches at halftime, explaining that if we were opting for the play on option - that meant play on EVERY time.

It wasn't a result changer, but coach who conceded did say at F/T he was just about to have a moan when he remembered what I had said at HT!

Dropped ball if the contact interferes with play, otherwise play on. Any doubt, dropped ball

Dropped ball if the contact interferes with play, otherwise play on. Any doubt, dropped ball
Dangerously subjective there. I'd suggest you need to pick a response and stick with it, introducing a decision of what counts as interfering (when you don't need to) is a unnecessary risk.

Dangerously subjective there. I'd suggest you need to pick a response and stick with it, introducing a decision of what counts as interfering (when you don't need to) is a unnecessary risk.
Hear what you're saying, but I've not had an issue with this approach. I tell players at the start to play on, play to my whistle. The possibility for controversy will always be there, because I might not see a glancing blow of the rope, one which does not interfere with play

Hear what you're saying, but I've not had an issue with this approach. I tell players at the start to play on, play to my whistle. The possibility for controversy will always be there, because I might not see a glancing blow of the rope, one which does not interfere with play
Sure, but that's a factual decision - did it hit the rope or not. You can miss a touch, but there's no possibility of an error in judgement going on to cause a KMI that could have been avoided.

There is no fix for this problem, save taking the wire down before KO. If a through ball (which results in a KMI) glances off the wire, the players may see it and I may not. Defenders all stop, expecting the dropped ball which was promised to them and i'm frantically rummaging for my keys in the car park

Not sure if we have discussed this before, apologies if we have.

What are your views on those wires you get across astro pitches. Was at a League 2 club academy game (AR) and referee went for the 'common sense' approach of play on if ball hits wire from open play, but retake if direct from a restart.

That's exactly what I do. I refereed in a league that played on a school's 3G pitch and the school refused to remove them. I tell skippers we'll play on unless it's from a restart. Never had a problem with that approach.

They didn't have corner flags either.

As already mentioned the technical decision that should be given is a dropped ball inside the area. However that would cause issues and your match control could spiral out the window.

Now if its hit the 'upper bar' then i'd give a goal kick playing it safe allowing yourself for a breather and killing the game.

However if nothing came of what you did then fair play. Good job.

Just remember we can use common sense!!

Many grounds have pre existing conditions. Under the LotG the goals do not meet Law 2 so at higher levels it would not happen or be allowed. At lower levels such as Underage or schools, recreational etc I would allow the game to be played as it is not dangerous.
As it it outside interference the technical answer is a dropped ball on the 6 yard line. Some competition rules allow for playing on for a pre existing condition such as overhanging branches. That though is fraught with difficulty in the middle of the goal. I would be tempted though to tell both teams that it is either a corner or a goal kick. As long as it is consistently applied and both teams informed it should not be an issue.

I once played in a game many, many moons ago where pigs (yes pigs) had escaped their enclosure and dug away at the side of the pitch and indeed over the touchline on one side. The hole encroached about 2 metres onto the pitch and it was about 5ml metres long (20 years ago so my mind could be playing tricks!) so the coach put a rope around it and agreed with the ref that if the ball crossed the line we just took a throw in from before the hole started (no closer to the goal we were attacking). We were 12 year old kids who just wanted to play and the ref allowed us to do so, there's no safety concern so there was no problem.

Also, 3 or 4 years ago I played a cricket match where the roller broke down driving off the ground abour 10 yards from the boundary. We just agreed that if the ball hit it the it was 4 runs.

Silly examples really from my long and extremely unsuccessful sporting career but I think when it's low level amateur stuff and there's no real safety concern then apply common sense, agree with everyone before the game starts and get on with the game.

Back