A&H

Biggest clanger you've dropped?

letting players humilliating you might be acceptable in england it sure isnt in scotland, if gassa wasnt trying to humilliate the referee what was he doing

Having a joke around, you laugh it off and then the players respect you for it! If that is how referees would act in Scotland, I'd like to see how quickly match control would drop!

The Referee Store
I was refereeing a rather strange game between and A and B team of the same club and dropped my notebook twice. Meaning I had to search for it twice as the game was going on and I was multitasking. It didn't happen again until I was refereeing the return fixture, where again I dropped it twice. I felt like the prize eejit on both occasions.

...winger gets in the box, little jink totally skins the defender who sticks out a leg and brings him down. 100% penalty but for some reason I shook my head and said no. Have no clue why as soon as I said no I realised it was a pen.

This is probably my most memorable "Boy gosh golly... That was wrong!" moment.

Attacked had been pushing for a penalty all afternoon, had 'simulated' a fall twice before, I didnt caution, because it wasnt a dive, it was just super soft both times.

First, he was backing into the player, the defender put his hand out and into his back (100% harmless) and as soon as he's felt the touch of the hand - he's thrown himself forward. Not a dive in my book, as he's made contact, he's just "gone down too easy" on a "soft challenge" in my head.

Second one was the same, ran past a player and then changed his direction to almost ignore the ball and run straight into the nearest defender.

So both times were comical.

Third time. Stone wall penalty. The guy has close-lined him as he's shot past him - and not sure why, I think my body had muscle memory for this lads bullsh!t or something... but immediately I said nope and waved it away.

They were 3-1 up and won the much deservedly, so as above - would have made no difference to the result. Which always makes me feel better.

So both times were comical.

Surely then it was a dive?

LOTG doesn't say there has to be no contact.

"Attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)."

Perhaps if you cautioned the first it wouldn't have happened again and the outcome of the 'stonewall' one would be different?

The ref that booked Gazza is a real gent, used to be my Association Manager when I was based in Ayrshire

Surely then it was a dive?
"Attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)."

No, no dive. Simulation, as you've stated does say "Pretending to be fouled".

There was contact both times, so he's not pretending for contact etc, its so soft in my eyes.

I.e. there was contact but not enough to denote a foul - or bring him down in the manner he went down.

So I wouldnt say he was feigning injury either. They were just classic playground style "Looking for a penalty".

No, I understand what you're saying, but pretending to be fouled is exactly what he's done surely?

Obviously if there was a foul you'd have given the penalty kick. But football is a contact sport, there can be a touch that doesn't create a foul.

So if there's contact and he's gone down way too softly with the sole intention of 'Looking for a penalty' surely that is classic simulation?

My favourite was in the glorious fifth division of grassroots football at my university city... Attacked on the break running at defenders (the sort of situation where you are expecting a tactical foul to come in at any time) and as he approaches the CB (and captain) stands on the ball and goes over... Cue me blowing for a foul. Laughter all round as I quickly realise what I've done... Don't know what the correct restart for me ballsing up is so stick with the free kick... Say to the attacker that we both know it isn't a foul and he very nicely floats it back to the keepers hands PHEW!! Spend the rest of the game red faced and laughing at myself along with 22 others.

Not me, but someone very close to me, his first ever penalty shoot out. Got told if it was a draw after 5 penalties each then sudden death. He was also told it was first to score in sudden death wins. See where I'm going with this? Anyway, shootout goes to sudden death, first team step up and scores. End of penalty shootout. Other team didn't even get a chance to try and equalise. Best bit is, no one even questioned it.

Not me, but someone very close to me, his first ever penalty shoot out. Got told if it was a draw after 5 penalties each then sudden death. He was also told it was first to score in sudden death wins. See where I'm going with this? Anyway, shootout goes to sudden death, first team step up and scores. End of penalty shootout. Other team didn't even get a chance to try and equalise. Best bit is, no one even questioned it.
Lol awesome

Sure it was not you mate?

U18 Cup match, 2-2, second half. Goalie comes out miles to get beaten by a winger who then crosses the ball to a striker in an offside position. I blow for offside, the ball lands no where near the striker and takes a bounce that defies physics and bloody goes in.
That match ended with 5 off (for the team that benefitted from my **** up, oddly) and abandonment (one of only 2 in 8 years)

I've left it long enough, feel like I should post mine now.

I'll set the scene.
Arguably, my biggest game as L4 AR. Was last season, Southern League Premier Division, 2nd v 4th (both had games in hand on 1st, both were looking for promotion). Had been appointed to this game on merit having achieved very high AR marks through my 2 years as a 4. Absolutely buzzing with excitement for it, was over the moon. As you can imagine, we were being assessed.

11 minutes into the game and I flag for offside (I'm benchside btw). Ref blows whistle, awards IDFK and then all of a sudden, the away bench erupts with anger! Screaming at me, screaming at the ref, but still couldn't understand them. FK is taken and I get closer to the halfway line...to find out that I'd given it from a goal-kick! The biggest issue...? The striker was one-on-one with the keeper and was likely to score (as it turned out later in the game when he did so!)

To make matters worse, the assessor was sat directly behind me. I held my hands up to all parties (ref, bench, assessor etc) and apologised for the mistake. Club were acceptant of the apology, assessor & ref less so.
Assessment came through as a 66, ref got docked marks for it too and took him out the AA bandings and he ended up finishing 1 place below promoted refs.

I think if we're being honest and/or have refereed for any length of time there will be quite a few "simple" direction of play decisions that we know, by player reaction we got wrong, it happens - players misplace passes, goal chances, tackles etc we get the odd throw in/gk/corner decision wrong.

"I had a wrong decision, made for the "right reason just before Christmas - still my fault in the end.

I ended up directly in line with GK and attacker, as he went round gk, he went to ground - all I could see was GK as I wasn't "wide" enough - so couldn't give pen (and probable red card). From reaction at the time and afterwards (that side won but were still mentioning it after the match) I knew I had missed the GK pulling him down.

Manager (because he had won!) took it well when I explained why I had not given it, he didn't pick up on my poor positioning luckily!:rolleyes:

Back