A&H

Biggest clanger you've dropped?

Did an under 18's fixture a few weeks ago, went to do the toss, forgot my coin, cue which hand is the grass in!! Went to mark in my book who's kick off it was, forgot my pencil, lino's then shout over to me ref any chance of some flags!!! Forgot my flags!!! All on my bag in the changing rooms, luckily a decent ground and took a minute to rectify, not my best day. Gotta laugh though ain't ya.

The Referee Store
During a summer tournament, attacker cleared the defence who were chasing after him. I'm running from behind, focused on the attacker, who takes it wide and over the line. I blow for ball out of play, throw-in. Then realise that the line he took it over was from the original pitch markings, and not the tournament markings. Oops. Hand up, apologised loudly to everybody, drop-ball. A face as red as my card.

Hi all, a new ref here, had a good read of the board overy the last few week and thought I would get invloved... ive done 10 games now... yet to do my mod 5 though... made a right clanger last week... decided I would make a new rule up... keeper roles ball from his hands to his defender ... blew up.. indirect free kick. .. I knew immediately that I shouldn't have blown... I'll never know what made me do it, it was crazy... cue the players surrounding me... I wish I had corrected my error but was afraid to loose the game... they we're already on my back, although thought I was having a good game til then... just a lack of concentration. Thankfully the opposition were very sportsmanly and rolled the ball out for a goal kick... sooo glad they didn't score! Fair play to them!!

Made a big one myself. Didn't effect the result thankfully, but denied the player his moment of glory. Home team had just scored in the last minute for a consolation goal (1-8). Away team striker decided to have a punt from the kick off and subsequently lobbed the keeper 'scoring' a quite stunning 'goal'. Don't know what I was thinking but disallowed it saying another player had to touch the ball so no goal and kick off must be retaken !!! Player argued this was wrong but then his manager agreed with me, so he reluctantly accepted the decision. I then had my doubts, so checked in LOAF and they were confirmed. I did telephone the club secretary and speak with the player, offering an unreserved apology. He was quite shocked by my action and accepted graciously. Although he did ask if the goal could still stand !

Touch wood, I dont think I have had a major clanger yet.... cue major clanger on Saturday now!

Red player takes quick free kick. Ball is still rolling when he takes it. Goalie shouts "Rolling ball", I shout "It's fine." I realise my error and blow for a retake just as red takes a shot. Goalie saves it. Cue argument from goalie that I can't do the foul again as he had saved the shot. I apologise to goalie and explain that I had made a mistake and that the free kick should be retaken correctly. My apology and admission of an error is not enough for the goalie who wants blood. I call his captain across, explain my mistake and ask him to keep control of his goalie, who is still not having it. Unfortunately for me, and more so for the goalie, he can't keep his mouth shut. He gets a yellow for dissent for his troubles. Luckily reds did not score from the retake. I don't know what would have happened if they had!

Going back to the earlier video posted in this thread of Paul Gascgoine booking the ref! Had a similar situation the other day in a U21's when a player approached me with my red card in my hand. Must have fallen from my back pocket. Sent me off, cue laughter all around. Looks of joy fell to the floor when I put it up towards him, then I started laughing. He finally caught on I was messing with him thankfully! Wouldn't of done it had it been anything but a well-tempered and fair game, nothing doing from either team really and the joke, thankfully, was taken well. Won't do it again though for sure.

Going back to the earlier video posted in this thread of Paul Gascgoine booking the ref! Had a similar situation the other day in a U21's when a player approached me with my red card in my hand. Must have fallen from my back pocket. Sent me off, cue laughter all around. Looks of joy fell to the floor when I put it up towards him, then I started laughing. He finally caught on I was messing with him thankfully! Wouldn't of done it had it been anything but a well-tempered and fair game, nothing doing from either team really and the joke, thankfully, was taken well. Won't do it again though for sure.

Reminds me of a game I done where my spare pencil fell out my pocket three times. The same player found it each time! The last time he gave it back to me he said if he finds it again I'd need to let him pencil in a couple of extra goals for his team before giving it back!

For me it would be an occasion of jumping the gun with the whistle.

Free kick on edge of a penalty area, wall encroaches a good bit and the ball hits one of the players in the wall from the free kick.

I immediately whistle only to see the ball then loop over the goalkeeper and into the net.

Retake was poorly taken and I ended up with a u14 match finishing 0-0...

Biggest clanger I made was sadly at one of the biggest games I ever did. Was involved in a Top of the table clash in Welsh Football league div one as the senior AR. Game was going great until midway through the second half when standard goal kick was kicked up to my half. Douchebag me seeing the offside striker challenge for the ball meaning I chuck my flag up before immediately realising that you can't be offside from a goal kick and hoping the ref ignores me. Sadly he doesn't and to everyone's amazement we stop play, ref runs over realising the same error and we blag a push on the defender and me giving wrong signal. Crowd behind me who are supporting the strikers team then spend the remaining time reminding me how useless I was lol.

Hardly a clanger but twice during a game my pencil fell out my pocket and the same player picked it up to give it to me. Felt a bit of an idiot. He said if he had to do it a third time he'd have to add a couple of goals to my notebook before he'd give it back.

Did an under 18's fixture a few weeks ago, went to do the toss, forgot my coin, cue which hand is the grass in!! Went to mark in my book who's kick off it was, forgot my pencil, lino's then shout over to me ref any chance of some flags!!! Forgot my flags!!! All on my bag in the changing rooms, luckily a decent ground and took a minute to rectify, not my best day. Gotta laugh though ain't ya.

Gents - get a routine in the way in which you pack your on field accessories on your person. E.g. coin in right pocket first, then whistle in left pocket, then cards etc... that way forgetting things becomes less frequent in my experience.

Dave - I have my pencil in my notebook, a pen in the same pocket, and also a pencil tucked into my socks (which are tight). If everything falls out of your pocket, then you always have your spare pencil in your sock.

Being a young ref, I've dropped a few clangers as I'm learning all the time.

It would be between two in my second game;
1. I'm still unsure about this one but when the ball dropped the player had his arm out but from my view there was no handball. He volleyed it and it went into the top corner. I had a lot of appeals but I was learning my positioning and I have to admit I was in probably the worst position possible.

2. The player was running, just outside the area and was fouled. I immediately pointed to the spot but after pointing and getting my opinion across by talking to the captain I realised he was outside the area but I couldn't go back on my decision although they missed the penalty.

Can always go back on a bad decision. As long as play doesn't restart, feel free to change your mind!! In terms of adhering to the LOTG that is.

Can always go back on a bad decision. As long as play doesn't restart, feel free to change your mind!! In terms of adhering to the LOTG that is.

See I thought that and got picked up for it, damn assessors lol.

r

so you would let a player try to humiliate you, hmm interesting

I wouldn't exactly call it humiliating, It's how you gain respect from players by not being up tight and portraying yourself as a control freak!

I wouldn't exactly call it humiliating, It's how you gain respect from players by not being up tight and portraying yourself as a control freak!
letting players humilliating you might be acceptable in england it sure isnt in scotland, if gassa wasnt trying to humilliate the referee what was he doing

Back