A&H

BHA v Liverpool

That's a made-up quote, apparently and not from any official PGMOL source.

Just on the face of it, the quote is patently absurd.

if thats the case of course i withdraw any reference to it

Still stands its an incredible mistake from WC bound var expert. My one look on the bbc Match of the Day camera through barely awake eyes and no interest in the game saw a horrendous challenge, staggering a top official fully focused on the role with modern tech and experience and being paid a hefty sum to be sitting there, did not

The Referee Store
I don't think we can blame this on individuals. I have a feeling the instructions they are getting is at fault. There was a time anytime VAR disagreed with the R, they asked for a review. Now they seem to have been asked to set the bar somewhere near impossible. They just don't seem to be getting the C&O right or consistent enough.

I don't think we can blame this on individuals. I have a feeling the instructions they are getting is at fault. There was a time anytime VAR disagreed with the R, they asked for a review. Now they seem to have been asked to set the bar somewhere near impossible. They just don't seem to be getting the C&O right or consistent enough.
It‘s a tough standard to make consistent. Once the VAR thinks there was an error, he is asked to decide if it was a clear and obvious error. I don’t think that is ever going to be a bright line, but some leagues/competitions have been better than others. And it is certainly not an area where the PL is covered in glory.

I do seem to hear alot the referee has not got the best view of it in these threads, makes you wonder why that seems to be the case more often than not, just unlucky or not reading the game too well?

I have seen one argument for it not to be a red and that is the keeper is of course allowed to make himself bigger unlike a player as the keeper can use his hands and because of this the contact made could be more forceful. I've no doubt if an outfield player for whatever reason makes a challenge like that, the ref would get that red card out very quickly.

I do seem to hear alot the referee has not got the best view of it in these threads, makes you wonder why that seems to be the case more often than not, just unlucky or not reading the game too well?

I have seen one argument for it not to be a red and that is the keeper is of course allowed to make himself bigger unlike a player as the keeper can use his hands and because of this the contact made could be more forceful. I've no doubt if an outfield player for whatever reason makes a challenge like that, the ref would get that red card out very quickly.

Sorry, the gk is the one allowed to use his hands in the box. And is to wear a diff colour shirt.

apart from that, he is no different to any other player.

absolute nonsense to suggest he can " make himself bigger"

Sorry, the gk is the one allowed to use his hands in the box. And is to wear a diff colour shirt.

apart from that, he is no different to any other player.

absolute nonsense to suggest he can " make himself bigger"
The GK can 'make himself bigger' in that having his arms well away from his body is a 'natural' position for someone allowed to use their hands but an 'unnatural' position for an outfield player. However this freedom to do so does not then absolve the GK from the consequences of that action

The GK can 'make himself bigger' in that having his arms well away from his body is a 'natural' position for someone allowed to use their hands but an 'unnatural' position for an outfield player. However this freedom to do so does not then absolve the GK from the consequences of that action

A defender can make himself bigger too, unnaturally if needed.

its still the use of the hands which is key. The gk making himself bigger has no bearing on his handling, in his own box obv.

all bets are off on body shape or size when it comes to sfp, v/c, over a handling offence.

A defender can make himself bigger too, unnaturally if needed.

its still the use of the hands which is key. The gk making himself bigger has no bearing on his handling, in his own box obv.

all bets are off on body shape or size when it comes to sfp, v/c, over a handling offence.
It sounds like we are in complete agreement :) . The ONLY difference is that if a defender makes themselves unnaturally bigger then they are risking handball whereas the GK is not. The GK cannot use this ability as a defence for any SFP or VC that results from them doing this

It sounds like we are in complete agreement :) . The ONLY difference is that if a defender makes themselves unnaturally bigger then they are risking handball whereas the GK is not. The GK cannot use this ability as a defence for any SFP or VC that results from them doing this

Yes, i was taking exception to someone saying the gk might have got off with his assault due to " gk being allowed to make himself bigger"

i cant even maks up an excuse as to why no red card was given. Its truly bewildering

Back