A&H

BHA v Liverpool

The Referee Store
No. And it is bizarre.
It’s an easy VAR red card.
Unusual but easy.

And it’s a problem. No sanction gives credence to the insane idea that you can freely foul someone while trying to block shot (keeper or not).

It has to be a red card. I can understand it not being given on the field, but for VAR not to deem it a clear and obvious error is just bizarre.

Blocking a shot with a handball offence - where is the yellow card?

(Feel for Bissouma, he is brilliant, things aren’t going his way)

How EPL VAR works is baffling. Take this same action and put it in the middle of the field in general play and every referee would send off with their eyes closed. How is this not a send off?

Be interested to hear from all those saying a caution for handballing a shot at goal was mandatory 2 weeks ago...

Be interested to hear from all those saying a caution for handballing a shot at goal was mandatory 2 weeks ago...
In law it's a mandatory yellow if it stops a promising attack. Premier League haven't been giving yellows for handball in the box that stop promising attacks all season though.

Good job it didn't affect the outcome of the game otherwise Mike Riley would have been making another apology. These are top level, FIFA badged, referees making unfathomable decisions on VAR, as I've said before it has to be down to their management. There needs to be a change at the top, VAR in England will continue to be a shambles until that happens.

Blocking a shot with a handball offence - where is the yellow card?

(Feel for Bissouma, he is brilliant, things aren’t going his way)
I thought you were replying to me re the Diaz goal and was very confused for a second!

Is it still SPA if the referee believes the shot is going wide or floating gently to the keeper? The commentators were fairly certain it was a terrible shot (I didn't actually see any angles that helped me make a call either way on that), but can you make a case that a shot going directly out of play cannot also be a promising attack?

I thought you were replying to me re the Diaz goal and was very confused for a second!

Is it still SPA if the referee believes the shot is going wide or floating gently to the keeper? The commentators were fairly certain it was a terrible shot (I didn't actually see any angles that helped me make a call either way on that), but can you make a case that a shot going directly out of play cannot also be a promising attack?

from the classroom last week UEFA guidance is a shot on goal and HB offence should be YC.
From what I saw the shot was fine i.e. going in or close

from the classroom last week UEFA guidance is a shot on goal and HB offence should be YC.
From what I saw the shot was fine i.e. going in or close
Commentators on my coverage were discussing if it was going to hit the corner flag or not - as I say, I can't comment on if that was an accurate assessment, but it's therefore certainly a possible explaination?

Dean's positioning is poor. Bullseye. Forgivable as usual
VAR had a reasonably good view of it though. Unforgivable as usual

Back