A&H

Best advantages you've played

Declan

Level 5 Referee
I refereed a midweek AstroTurf 11 a side game on Wednesday night. One of the goals scored was quite possibly the one of the best advantages I have ever given. In the centre circle the home skipper was clattered from behind but not before flicking on to a team mate. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the full back bombing on and acres of space to run into. I screamed advantage and the ball went to said full back who went down the line and crossed to the unmarked striker to score. I managed to avoid doing a celebration like a famous referee in the 90s did.

What's your best advantage?

The Referee Store
Lad fouled but the ball falls to a team mate, scream ADVANTGE massive arm signal and he rewards me with a 35 year screamer into the top corner

Personal favourite was in a county cup final... U16, 500+ Spectators, and everyone who was anyone from the county FA... Captain gets whipped out and player runs onto the ball, Big hand signals, loud shout, and a huge smile on my face as he slams it in... Followed it up by having a word with the offender, didn't quite warrant a yellow IMO but wanted to make sure I told him what happens...

Played a cracker today, almost blew as the ball run through to somebody who looked a bit offside, quick peek across, no flag from CAR, arms spread and loud shout, player smashes the post followed by rebounding it onto the bar. I was quite disappointed in him

To be fair, ELP, that wasn't technically an advantage :rolleyes:

How was it not? He had a pretty great chance of scoring and don't know how he didn't to be fair

EDIT: Wait I see, I guess I should rephrase: "almost blew for a foul right at my feet when the ball ran through..."

I've got 2/3 that spring to mind.

Played one under assessment in my first year at 4 as the winger cut inside. Clear foul (and YC for reckless), ball rolled to oncoming midfielder who smashed it from 30 yards into the top corner. Worldy finish, unbelievable advantage, aasessor happy, defender cautioned!

Again under assessment, this time in my 2nd season at 4. Winger bombing up the line was taken out. He bounced up, regained control of the ball, whipped in a cross that was headed home. Full Mike Dean style, I still had my arms waving when the ball hit the net!

My other one was both my best & worst in one go!
1st season in OA football (16/17 y/o) and there's a counter attack. Attacking player is fouled 10 yards in his half. Balance regained, run continued, advantage played. Same player fouled again by same defender 25/30 yards further ahead. Again regains balance & ball and is fouled for 3rd (and final) time a yard outside the 18. Free-kick given and caution about to follow...until the fouled player reacts by punching the defender square in the head!!! Defender retaliated by punching him back!
FK awarded, 2 RC's and a night full of reporting followed!!!

I refereed a midweek AstroTurf 11 a side game on Wednesday night. One of the goals scored was quite possibly the one of the best advantages I have ever given. In the centre circle the home skipper was clattered from behind but not before flicking on to a team mate. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the full back bombing on and acres of space to run into. I screamed advantage and the ball went to said full back who went down the line and crossed to the unmarked striker to score. I managed to avoid doing a celebration like a famous referee in the 90s did.

What's your best advantage?
Quite often play stops because the players assume I am going to blow for a foul, the offended player recovers, a team mate shouts play to the whistle, and the attacker carries on the attack with me now shouting advantage, play on. I can always go back to the incident and warn or card as appropriate.

Any Advantage over the halfway line is the best ....no matter what the outcome !!!!

I had one from the weekend. Red player makes a reckless tackle, wiping the Orange player clean out, BUT I hold for for a second, and ball breaks to another Orange player, who has some space. At this time, a quick glance back to the Orange player who had been wiped out and he is up, not complaining so I am thinking no serious injury. ANYWAY, the Orange player who the ball broke to, took a touch and hit a WORLDY into the top corner from about 35 yards! This feels like an assist for me! I was congratulating myself, not the Orange player. I was thinking surely I will get a "well played ref" or "great advantage" something from the Orange team, BUT nothing, nevertheless I cautioned the Red player whilst the Orange team were celebrating.

I went home with the skip in my step!

Player A shoots - defender handles on the line - appeals for DOGSO - "CAN YOU SCORE?!!!" - Player B heads in.

Defender whines like a ***** when I caution him "You can't do that! You can't give them a goal and book me. It has to be a red card and a penalty, or nothing." Explined it was unpsorting "You're wrong - everyone know deliberate hand ball is red, it's the rules" Yawn.

Walked 10 minutes later for what I can only describe as Side Russian Leg Sweep for all you WWE fans out there.

To bring some humility to the thread!;)

Last Sunday o/a Ladies game, attacker caught by clumsy challenge in oppo half but a long way from goal.

Signal advantage and then attacker (under no pressure) gives the ball straight to the oppo.

"We don't want advantage, we're c**p"! - she shouts at me!:eek:

Player A shoots - defender handles on the line - appeals for DOGSO - "CAN YOU SCORE?!!!" - Player B heads in.

Defender whines like a ***** when I caution him "You can't do that! You can't give them a goal and book me. It has to be a red card and a penalty, or nothing." Explined it was unpsorting "You're wrong - everyone know deliberate hand ball is red, it's the rules" Yawn.

Walked 10 minutes later for what I can only describe as Side Russian Leg Sweep for all you WWE fans out there.
If the said player B.....decides not to head the goal and puts his foot on it and says " cheers Ref well have the red and the Pen ":rolleyes: Then what .....?? Red , Pen and a yellow for Player B for USB ??

Just putting the situation out there !!!;)

Reactions: ELP
To expand the discussion.

Was AR on a Ryman U21 game recently, level 5 ref being assessed.

I flagged for a foul very near me, approx level with edge of penalty area to defending side.

Defender broke away from the challenge, ref called advantage and play continued, defending side soon challenged for the ball again and play continued "as normal" if that makes sense.

Assessor said afterwards that ref should have gone with my flag as very rarely a good idea to play advantage in the defending third.

Do we all agree with that?

Back