george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #26
Belgium v Morocco
Sunday, 27th November 2022
16:00 Local Time (13:00 GMT)
Doha

Referee: César Ramos (MEX)

Assistant Referee 1: Alberto Morin (MEX)
Assistant Referee 2: Miguel Hernandez (MEX)
Fourth Official: Yoshimi Tamashita (JPN)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Neuza Back (BRA)
Video Assistant Referee: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Nicolas Gallo (COL)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Kathryn Nesbitt (USA)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Armando Villarreal (USA)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Kyle Atkins (USA)

The Referee Store
Assistant not running up the line for the goal there, does he suspect an offside (probably couldn't see who touched the ball) ?

Interesting for VAR this one, think they got it right.

Very easy call (once determined as offside) made to look very complicated by var

It's offside, just give it

Very easy call (once determined as offside) made to look very complicated by var

It's offside, just give it
If the offside player hasn't touched the ball, then it's a subjective call as to whether he has interfered with a opponent, and the referee should be going to view the screen.

If the offside player hasn't touched the ball, then it's a subjective call as to whether he has interfered with a opponent, and the referee should be going to view the screen.
it's absolutely crystal clear he interfered

I know what you're saying but Jo public doesn't. This right here is the biggest issue with var. Just tell us what's going on and why. It's so easy

Agreed. At least the review didn't last long so that's good.

I know what you're saying but Jo public doesn't. This right here is the biggest issue with var. Just tell us what's going on and why. It's so easy
They did tell us what was going on.

Doesn't matter, he didn't touch the ball and therefore it is a subjective rather than factual decision, which means the referee must check it.

They did say there was a goal check going on.

Ramos is really struggling to find the line for misconduct in this game. He’s wanting to just manage things, but like in the England-USA game sometimes you have to start issuing cautions to bring the match temperature down.

Ramos is really struggling to find the line for misconduct in this game. He’s wanting to just manage things, but like in the England-USA game sometimes you have to start issuing cautions to bring the match temperature down.
He's a CONCACAF Ref! You and I both know they don't believe in cards! LOL

So glad I cashed out. Might’ve only been 5 pence but it was a free bet.

Martinez may well pay the price for this, which is a shame. It’s the last hurrah for the defence, but there’s more than enough talent in the rest of the squad to do better than this.

Not good enough. You've got the pundits guessing what's going on and why. It's not hard to do. Every other sport with a form of var does it so much better
The host broadcaster put a caption up saying checking goal, and that would have gone onto the screens in the stadium as well.

This was not a good performance from Ramos. He tried to manage the match like a CONCACAF match, and he was lucky that it didn't boil over. This was a similar approach to what Valenzuela had for England-USA, but Ramos didn't have the luxury of two teams with a lot of good relationships between them.

Out of the CONCACAF referees, Ivan Barton has been the best of the group by a wide margin. He has a big one with the Brazil-Switzerland match on Monday. Nail that one, and he may be the dark horse for a deeper knockout match.

Agree about telling us but do we really need a VAR screen review to decide interfering or not. Was VAR really intended for this use.

So glad I cashed out. Might’ve only been 5 pence but it was a free bet.

Martinez may well pay the price for this, which is a shame. It’s the last hurrah for the defence, but there’s more than enough talent in the rest of the squad to do better than this.
A shame.. he was never ever good enough to manage that amount of talent. He’s been a very lucky man and earned millions from it.

Agree about telling us but do we really need a VAR screen review to decide interfering or not. Was VAR really intended for this use.
I didn't think Ramos was good in this game, but I'll defend him on this play. With all of the commotion around that set piece, it would be pretty hard to put all of the pieces together. Plus, the Moroccan player was some distance from Courtois. AR2 stood still on the line instead of running up the touchline, so he was communicating a player in an offside position. I'd say this was a great call by AR2, a (tough but understandable) onfield miss by Ramos, and an excellent use of VAR to recommend the onfield review and subsequent decision to overturn the goal.

I've been a critic of VAR for a lot of reasons, but this is one where I think it was used very well (probably helped that the offside VAR is an American MLS AR, where they use VAR very well in my opinion). It's a tough call to nail on-field. Ramos awarded the goal, VAR recommended a review, and he got to the right call. We can debate a lot about VAR (and obviously have), but I think this is the type of play that shows it can be a force for good in the game.

Back