A&H

Open Age Being assaulted

Nottsman

Has anyone been involved in being assaulted by a player after / during a game?

Unfortunately, this happened to me last weekend, and obviously the FA and police are involved. Luckily I wasn't hurt, just a bit shaken up.

If it has happened to anyone else, how did the FA react to it? How did it effect you?

The Referee Store
My very first game. (See previous posts). Player pushed me as well as verbally abused me. I wasn't even really aware that I had been "assaulted" until a witnessing ref mentioned it to me. Whilst probably not an assault in the real sense if the word, I couldn't fault the FA. I had a phone call first thing Monday morning. The league were brilliant too. The idiot got a six month ban and £350 fine. Certainly more than if I had involved the police.

First open age game sent a fella off. As he was walking off he went for me, his team mates held him back. WIthout them doing that he totally would have done something, so cant really sympathise totally, but know its pretty frightening. I've not done much open age football since mainly through choice, but certainly that incident has had an effect on that.

Yeah been there. Nearly 15 years ago now. Just pulled out a second yellow for dissent, before I could reach for the red to follow found myself on the floor after being punched. Quickly got back up again, dusted myself off and abandoned the game. Reported to CFA, thought nothing of it again until I had an invite to attend a personal hearing. Couldn't believe he appealed. Any who, he argued that it wasn't his fist that caught me, instead it was his glove. Anyway, CFA issued him with a sine die ban.

RA were very supportive, sent out a few people to watch my next 3 or 4 games, just to give a confidence boost. Worked a treat!

Yeah he said he didn't punch me, just whacked me with his glove. All went well for him until one witness dropped him right in it by saying that he punched me and not tried challenging me to a duel :p

image.jpg

@Ross I just kept thinking of the episode of the Simpsons where Homer goes round glove slapping people challenging them to duels.

I suppose worth him chancing his arm, he might have got away with it!

Being assaulted is something I hope never happens to me. I can accept and take verbal abuse, part and parcel of the job. But physical assault on a referee is not only pointless, but disgraceful. Now I've said that I'll get knocked out in the U11 Southend United game I have at the weekend... ;)

Oh probably - Being only 17 there's a lot of time in my refereeing career yet!! Being from Essex and looking at the players... only a matter of time!

If there is any form of assault (threat/technical assault through to actually being hit or worse) always abandon the game.

We are not there to be targets for his kind of abuse/aggression or violence.

Chin up @Nottsman - get all the reports in (as it sounds like you have already done) and when you get a cfa hearing date, make sure to take a senior refereeing colleague with you.

If you aren't already a member, get yourself joined up with your local RA. Good source of support.

Let's hope the idiot who did this gets all he deserves.

I had a player spit at me on the way back to the dressing room, I didn't report it to the police but the player got a 1 year ban

Fortunately, I've never had a hand laid on me (in a violent/aggressive manner)

However, I had one guy (the usual, post-red card) start to come towards me as if he wanted to square up. He was significantly shorter than me and as he got closer to me, I stood taller and broader.

He approached me and got very aggressive. I stood over him and merely said "yes?"

I've NEVER seen someone back off so quickly! Guess there's a slight advantage to being 6"3 & 14 stone!

And yes - it was added into his report!

Several years back when I was in Surrey a referee was assaulted so he slapped him back. Got a 6 month ban.

Back